Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 01:08 PM

VT Six Gaps roads-closures?

Am looking for road closures and construction to avoid on VT Six Gaps. I saw that Bethel Mountain Road is closed due to "flood damage". Is it still passable by bike? Anything other notable construction annoyances? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

http://newengland511.org/
Old 06-17-2019, 04:59 PM

I've done Brandon, Middlebury and App Gap within the last 5 weeks. Brandon Gap was being paved 5 weeks ago on the Middlebury side. I'm sure it's done and you'll enjoy some beautiful pavement! I just completed the 200/100 a week ago. The 6 gap ride is on my bucket list for sure!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM

I will bump this thread in late August for an update.

Instagram
Old 06-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Rode up Camp Brook Road in Bethel to the top of Rochester Gap the other day. East side of the Gap is open, with some gravel sections. The closure/detour is on the Rochester side down near the bottom at the T. Detour adds a couple more miles and has a dirt section, from what I'm told. Didn't ride that side, just turned around at the top as the rain came in then.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Rode up Camp Brook Road in Bethel to the top of Rochester Gap the other day. East side of the Gap is open, with some gravel sections. The closure/detour is on the Rochester side down near the bottom at the T. Detour adds a couple more miles and has a dirt section, from what I'm told. Didn't ride that side, just turned around at the top as the rain came in then.
Looking at the google maps, I see a possible detour as Hooper Hollow-Breakneck-Jerusalem Hill, going east to west. But this starts at the top of Rochester Gap rather than the T near the bottom.
It is a little different on the Delorme, which shows Austin White (apparently the same road as Hooper Hollow)-Breakneck-New Boston.
Maybe the detour is marked? In any case, it seems like one could sort things out on-site, armed with downloaded route maps, and perhaps paper map.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 AM

]watch out for the house at the end of the payment with the 'Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again' sign in their yard.

They aren't kidding. (But that's Lincoln Gap.)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Looking at the google maps, I see a possible detour as Hooper Hollow-Breakneck-Jerusalem Hill, going east to west. But this starts at the top of Rochester Gap rather than the T near the bottom.
It is a little different on the Delorme, which shows Austin White (apparently the same road as Hooper Hollow)-Breakneck-New Boston.
Maybe the detour is marked? In any case, it seems like one could sort things out on-site, armed with downloaded route maps, and perhaps paper map.
The detour starts at the stop sign at the T intersection about half a mile or so above Rochester. Instead of turning left down into town, you have to turn right and go from there. Those road names you mentioned don't ring a bell. (I picked up a hitchhiker who had just come from Rochester and he filled me in on the detour.)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
The detour starts at the stop sign at the T intersection about half a mile or so above Rochester. Instead of turning left down into town, you have to turn right and go from there. Those road names you mentioned don't ring a bell. (I picked up a hitchhiker who had just come from Rochester and he filled me in on the detour.)
Okay I can see this. Thanks-great local intel.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:50 AM

I was just there last weekend. As of 6/22 there was total roadwork/gravel from top of Brandon Gap into the descent towards Brandon, so worth a recon car trip or planning a gravel ascent from Brandon and descending East towards Rochester (which was fully paved). I made it fine on 28mm tires, but a little hairier than preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
I've done Brandon, Middlebury and App Gap within the last 5 weeks. Brandon Gap was being paved 5 weeks ago on the Middlebury side. I'm sure it's done and you'll enjoy some beautiful pavement! I just completed the 200/100 a week ago. The 6 gap ride is on my bucket list for sure!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 AM

I'm also hearing now that Middlebury Gap is road work/gravel for three miles on west side.