Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafran View Post
I am a bit late, but I have been trying different sealants for the past three years in road/gravel tires so figured throw in my experience.

I have used Stan's Race formula the longest and have tried several sealants in between including the regular Stan's, Orange Endurance, Finish Line, Bontrager and just tried Muc-off for the first time this past weekend.

Overall Opinions:

Finish Line I will never use again. I bought a large bottle when it first came out, and I have been mostly disappointed. The appeal is that it allegedly never dries out, but it also has trouble sealing and plugging punctures. I can promise you it will not work at all on thin tires such as Compass/Rene Herse Tires.

Bontrager/Regular Stans are both great and come in small bottles to carry when you are traveling or doing a long touring ride. They seal fine, but don't seal larger punctures as well as Stan's Race or Orange Endurace. They do seem to both last longer in the tire and spread well inside. I also have topped off Stan's Race with Regular Stan's through the valve core so I don't have to remove the tire. Haven't had any issues doing that.

Stan's Race/Orange Endurance are my two go-to sealants. They clog almost anything. Things that they don't clog I plug with a dynaplug and keep pedaling. While they may dry out, I took my chances after over a year without adding new Stan's Race on my road tires and they still clog.

TBD on Mucoff, but I am excited to try it. Only note is that I just inflated two new Rene Herse Steilacoom tires with Orange Endurance in one and Mucoff in the other. The tire with Orange sealed up beautifully while the Mucoff had some issues holding air. Could be any number of reasons so I will be curious on how well they clog.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Have you tried the regular Orange sealant? If so, how does this compare to their Endurance blend?