Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 06:51 AM

Winter cycling shoes from LG

Has anyone tried these:
https://garneau.com/us_en/mudstone-winter-shoes-1487283

I picked up a pair at my LBS after talking to the guys in the shop. Upon arriving home I did some reading and CC reviews weren't great (there were only two). The issues has less to do with function and is more about how well the shoes/boots are constructed for most reviewers. I'm interested in both quality and if they actually keep your feet warmer than shoe covers etc.
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:25 AM
That guy..

I owned a pair of LG Glacier SPD shoes. So not the exact same pair, but construction looks the same. Material wise.

Worst shoes i've ever owned. Quality wise.
Fit was great

Quality though. The shoe's outer layer was de-laminating within a week. Around the ankle and the front protective flap shielding the laces. Had the shoes warrantied twice. On both warranty occasions the shoes were only worn about 10 times. Commuting. Upon receiving the 3rd pair from them. I just sold them and got North Wave Raptor Arctic's. Slightly more expensive but 100% better in every way.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 AM

La Bicicletta has a good deal on winter Diadora cycling shoes:

https://labicicletta.com/collections/shoe-sale-2018
Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
La Bicicletta has a good deal on winter Diadora cycling shoes:

https://labicicletta.com/collections/shoe-sale-2018

Any experience with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM

I have used the Gaerne Eskimos before. If you can get into the narrow footbed, the quality is good.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:27 AM

I have them.
I think they are good value. Kept me pretty warm on pretty cold days. A bit roomier in the toe area for my wide feet. I went a half size up for thicker socks.
I got them for commuting and some casual winter riding but have only used them on a few very cold commutes.

For reference, I wear 43.5 wide Lake and I went with a 44 in these Diadoras. Have also worn 43.5 Sidi Mega as 43.5 Northwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Any experience with these?

Old 09-19-2019, 11:49 AM

at the risk of opening a can of worms, what temps are you riding these in and have you reached a temp where they didn't work (i.e. it was too cold)?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:05 PM

The one ride with these that is burned in my memory was on a day that was about -20 degrees C before windchill. With windchill was prob -27 or something edging close to -30. I didn't even get 1 mile on the ride when I had to go back home and get better neck and head/ ear coverage. I had DeFeet woolie boolies on with these shoes and when I got to my destination about 6 km later, I could feel a bit of the coolness reaching the feet and toes but that was it. The rest of my body was a lot worse off.
I got the shoes for $150 CAD. Haven't had a chance to do any trail or off-road long distance rides in them - just commutes about 10 km and under one way.
No regrets getting them. I think they are good value. I have MTB booties but haven't felt the need to take it to that level with these shoes.

Not sure if that help you much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
at the risk of opening a can of worms, what temps are you riding these in and have you reached a temp where they didn't work (i.e. it was too cold)?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
The one ride with these that is burned in my memory was on a day that was about -20 degrees C before windchill. With windchill was prob -27 or something edging close to -30. I didn't even get 1 mile on the ride when I had to go back home and get better neck and head/ ear coverage. I had DeFeet woolie boolies on with these shoes and when I got to my destination about 6 km later, I could feel a bit of the coolness reaching the feet and toes but that was it. The rest of my body was a lot worse off.

I got the shoes for $150 CAD. Haven't had a chance to do any trail or off-road long distance rides in them - just commutes about 10 km and under one way.

No regrets getting them. I think they are good value. I have MTB booties but haven't felt the need to take it to that level with these shoes.

Not sure if that help you much.

Thanks! That’s a great data point. How low of temps do you ride on a typical road ride before you would wear toe covers? For reference, my toes start to get cold in the low 50s, which is where I might reach for toe covers. In my experience, this is at a higher temperature than for most of my cycling colleagues.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:20 PM

I'll put on toe covers around 40 degrees. The full booties come on at freezing and below.
I only had regular summer shoes paired with booties and wool socks before. My toes would freeze after about an hour, hour and a half.
Never had a full on winter shoe before I got these Diadoras. I also have the road version but have not worn them yet.