Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 PM

Learn me on valve extenders please

I just went to a deeper wheelset on my go fast bike and now I can no longer utilize those 60 mm tubes that worked on my 303's, so I gotta get extender.

Whats best one to get ?

Do I have to remove core?

Can i just get something that extends beyond rim and not mess with removing valve core?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Personally I prefer extenders where the core is moved to the extender, if you have problems with the core sticking closed, no need to remove the tire/tube which will be in accessible, buried in the rim. And use silicon plumbers tape on the original stem threads to seal the extenders on well.

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-18-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:23 PM
kg

I agree with m_sasso.

I’ve got two sizes of bnib valve extenders that I won’t be using. Let me know if you want a set for less than whatever they cost.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:24 PM

Agreed. Valves can get gummed up from sealant, so it is best to keep them easily accessible. That is, buy extenders that work with a removable core, assuming your tubes have removable cores.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:28 PM

Silca make a nice extender, what ever brand you choose make sure you remove the core of the tube and put it into the top of the extender.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
Agreed. Valves can get gummed up from sealant, so it is best to keep them easily accessible. That is, buy extenders that work with a removable core, assuming your tubes have removable cores.
we're coming up on winter here in AZ so durability wins out over speed. That said, I usually opt for "thornless tubes" this time of year .........IIRC, those don't have removable cores.........what then ??
Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 PM

+1 on valve core extenders. As far as which ones, the ones I have work great! So get those
Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
we're coming up on winter here in AZ so durability wins out over speed. That said, I usually opt for "thornless tubes" this time of year .........IIRC, those don't have removable cores.........what then ??

You can get the kind that don't have a valve. They just extend the "pipe". I've found for those that some CO2 inflater "heads" don't work with them, so make sure to test that.

https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-ty...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 09-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
You can get the kind that don't have a valve. They just extend the "pipe". I've found for those that some CO2 inflater "heads" don't work with them, so make sure to test that.

https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-ty...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yeah so that's my point. If they sell extenders for non removable valve cores, then why not just use those all time ???
Old 09-18-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah so that's my point. If they sell extenders for non removable valve cores, then why not just use those all time ???
Sometimes valves don't seal properly without screwing down the valve nut. Extenders for non-removable valves require that the nut always be unscrewed (because you can't access the nut). And these extenders also make it tougher to reduce pressure, because it is more difficult to press the nut to let out a little air. I've also found that some of the cheaper versions of those extenders don't seal against the valve stem well, so they leak when inflating the tire. You can still get air in the tire, but because of the leakage the pump's gauge won't indicate properly.

My favorite valve extenders are probably Continental, because they come in a wider range of lengths so the stem length can be customized to the wheel.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
I just went to a deeper wheelset on my go fast bike and now I can no longer utilize those 60 mm tubes that worked on my 303's, so I gotta get extender.

Whats best one to get ?

Do I have to remove core?

Can i just get something that extends beyond rim and not mess with removing valve core?
Extender with removable valve sore tubes. Apply a little teflon tape between the joint and tighten down the valve core on the end of the new extender.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Another vote on Continental extenders. I much prefer that style where you install the valve core in the extender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 PM

Or sell or give your tubes away and get tubes with 80mm valves. Life is too short to be messing with valve extenders when there is a much more seamless ( pun intended ) method.

Tubes are cheap, why mess around???
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Or sell or give your tubes away and get tubes with 80mm valves. Life is too short to be messing with valve extenders when there is a much more seamless ( pun intended ) method.

Tubes are cheap, why mess around???
wait wut........

I'm new to the deep dish game.....last I checked 60mm was longest.

...........you sir........are a genius.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Here's an 80mm stem: