Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM

TLDR: This wheel is pretty much trashed, right?

A few years ago, I started a thread about ethics of putting out a general warning re: a certain item listed in the classified, b/c quite a few of these products are utterly s***e and defective. General consensus then was not to say anything re: the specific classified posting.

The item in question is 3T Accelero aluminum wheels, and the original reason for my concern was that rear spokes kept on snapping. I thought this was a wheel build issue (as opposed to material defect of the constituent parts), and I remedied this by having the rear relaced by a well-respected local wheel builder.

Since then, I may have ridden the wheel another 3K miles (injury followed by primarily riding indoor) without further incidents. Lately, the wheel has gotten out of true, and finally, after locating my truing stand, I set out to true the wheel. However, it immediately became apparent that there are cracks in the rim. Specifically, a good bunch of the DS spoke holes show cracking. I could pretty much assume that this thing is done for, correct?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Ummm. Don’t ride on that wheel.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Riding Along

Done and Done! You can never true to without expanding the cracks until they fail.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM

She's dead, Jim.

I mean, you could use it on a trainer for a few more seasons and not bother to true it. That'll get you some more use out of it. But decent wheels being as cheap as they are, I'd retire it from road usage post haste. (I mean, back last century when I was young, broke, and stupid, I rode a rim like that for over a year until I could afford to replace it. But don't do that.)
Old 09-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Proud Grandpa

Yup, done.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Yes, that rim has reached the end of its life. I'll just add that rim cracks typically don't result in catastrophic failures. They behave more like slow-motion spoke breakages. The rim will gradually go out of the true until the spoke tension goes to zero (which often results in the wheel rubbing the brakes or the chainstay on a wheel with few spokes). Often the nipple will still be retained so the spoke doesn't flop around. If I discovered this in the middle of a ride, I'd just finish the ride. If necessary, I'd adjust the tensions of adjacent spokes so the wheel continued to spin. But there's no reason to abandon a ride just because rim cracks were discovered.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Got it; thanks everyone!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Yes, that rim has reached the end of its life. I'll just add that rim cracks typically don't result in catastrophic failures. They behave more like slow-motion spoke breakages. The rim will gradually go out of the true until the spoke tension goes to zero (which often results in the wheel rubbing the brakes or the chainstay on a wheel with few spokes). Often the nipple will still be retained so the spoke doesn't flop around. If I discovered this in the middle of a ride, I'd just finish the ride. If necessary, I'd adjust the tensions of adjacent spokes so the wheel continued to spin. But there's no reason to abandon a ride just because rim cracks were discovered.
Absolutely agree; but to the OPs point: there’s no fixing this long term. That rim is done.

It’s disappointing when this happens though. A robust good rim should find the end of life when you wear through the brake track, not from spoke pull-out.

Time to move on.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:53 AM

Toast.

For breakfast...

SPP
Old 09-19-2019, 05:31 AM

Time for a new rim. Once one (1) spoke broke on my rear wheel, causing me to crash (badly). Good thing you caught it!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 AM

Lots n lots of duct tape.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 AM

and the front wheel is apparently done, too

what massively and utterly s***e job 3T did

found a crack in the front rim as well. Both are now toast...
Old 09-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Lots n lots of duct tape.
Looks fun! How long did you ride that?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Time to turn it into artsy coat hangers.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:11 PM

And the wheels are even more shyte than I previously imagined.

I haven't even used the wheels in the 11 months since my post, having put them in a storage area for wheels and tires. The other day, I needed to grab a wheel, which required me to move one of these 3T wheels out of the way.

Turns out that a few spoke nipples have completely pulled through one of the rim in the last 11 months, despite there being no additional stress applied whatsoever.

This, along with the report that 3T had serious QC issues on the bike frames it was making, makes me reluctant to buy anything other than stems and seatposts from them...