Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
These appear to be hookless as I looked at some non-photographic illustrations from Mavic, so having UST standards in both rim and tire should allow a more-reliable minimum blow-off resistance without inconsistencies in rim preparation requirements or mounting difficulty. The hookless designs are considerably more durable in theory at equivalent rim weights, so ideal for running tubeless at low pressures.
I believe the rims are hook-type: https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/te...&macronu=25677

Greg
Old 03-09-2019, 01:20 AM

Found this link on rkp about how they attempted to mount several tires onto the allroad (although the disc version). Seems like other tires would work

http://redkiteprayer.com/2018/09/use...mavic-allroad/
Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Anybody get a pair delivered yet? What do you think?
Old 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM

I received an email today from Planet Cyclery that my wheels have shipped. Tracking number indicates label was created, but wheels are not yet in the Fedex system.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 PM

I received the same email, but followed by another email that indicates that while a label was created, the supposedly in-stock wheels will not be in-house for another week!

Unless the two remaining wheelsets sold out in the minutes after the page had refreshed, (which is possible), that's like a form of bait-and-switch in my book, since the site indicated 2 pair in stock at the time that I placed my order. But they were selling fast, I saw four pair in stock just 20 minutes earlier.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Peter/ Old Potatoe can build a better set of wheels for similar money and no wondering if they'll show up. Just sayin to think abt buying within forum people.

However, OP does not own a yellow station wagon with roof racks and labels on the side.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Peter/ Old Potatoe can build a better set of wheels for similar money and no wondering if they'll show up. Just sayin to think abt buying within forum people.

However, OP does not own a yellow station wagon with roof racks and labels on the side.
No horse in the race but what kind of wheel set for $300?
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Don't now why people are getting worked up over this. I have built my own wheels for 20 years. I cannot build a wheel with a quality hub and a wide rim for $279. Also consider they include tires, stems, sealant. If they don't ship, you get a refund. What's the problem? This will be the first pair of factory built wheels I have ever owned, but I am looking forward to receiving them. Or getting a refund.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbf View Post
I received an email today from Planet Cyclery that my wheels have shipped. Tracking number indicates label was created, but wheels are not yet in the Fedex system.
label created and first update can he 24-48 hour lag. the last time I got a label created notice the next update was out for delivery.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 PM

On the way

Got an email today notifying me that the wheels have shipped....

Now I have to explain to my local wrench why I bought Mavic pre-built wheels, he is not a FAN
Old 03-18-2019, 05:25 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Got an email today notifying me that the wheels have shipped....Now I have to explain to my local wrench why I bought Mavic pre-built wheels, he is not a FAN
Easy to be a fan of something else when you get the shop discount.
Ask him what would be competitive with tires/tubes for $279 shipped?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM

Maybe unclear

Maybe I did not make myself clear, he hates Mavic wheels, all the proprietary stuff, the fact that the aluminum spokes and nipples seize up. He just does not like Mavic, also not a fan of Trek/Specialized, all of Pacific’s offerings, new Raliegh bikes.

He would likely advise me to pick up a used set of wheels with CK, DT or some other good hub , on guess what...Mavic Open Pros.

He is a great guy, but he won’t be happy I have a set of Mavic wheels even if they are a tremendous deal
Old 03-18-2019, 07:21 PM

I plan to try to wear out the included tires before changing tires for the 'cross season. These wheels will be an upgrade over my seasons-old Cane-Creek wheelset which is quite narrow at the same weight.

My Excell order shipped today, the Planetbike order is still awaiting their receipt of a quantity of these wheels from whoever.

I noticed these All-Road wheels weren't featured at the NAHBS Mavic booth.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Maybe I did not make myself clear, he hates Mavic wheels, all the proprietary stuff, the fact that the aluminum spokes and nipples seize up. He just does not like Mavic,
He is a great guy, but he won’t be happy I have a set of Mavic wheels even if they are a tremendous deal
Well, the guy is in the trenches. He gets to see and fix these things and also deal with mavic(not fun, IMHO)..Proprietary 'stuff' screams 'planned obsolescence, regardless of maker. It's a shame when those really nice hubs become pen holders cuz the manufacturer no longer supports the wheelouttaboxes..

I like this guy
Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, the guy is in the trenches. He gets to see and fix these things and also deal with mavic(not fun, IMHO)..Proprietary 'stuff' screams 'planned obsolescence, regardless of maker. It's a shame when those really nice hubs become pen holders cuz the manufacturer no longer supports the wheelouttaboxes..

I like this guy
I like him too, and I agree with what you said.... still seems like I should give these wheels a try. 😇