Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Mavic AllRoad Elite Wheelset (rim brake content)

Mavic ALLROAD ELITE UST

Any thoughts on these for a mid-reach rim brake bike setup?
(Seven Axiom SL mid-reach brake)

I have been trying to find a nice wheelset and purchase two of them for my Seven; one with 700x28 tires for road use and one with 700x32/35 knobbies for gravel. I was told these might be a good option and easy to swap before rides since no need to adjust anything with identical wheelsets.

As far as I can tell, they are similar to a Ksyrium Elite but with more (18/24 instead of 18/20) and steel (instead of aluminium) spokes.

And they appear to be on sale all over the place because nobody wants a wide rim brake wheelset anymore (so I think).

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Curious

I’m interested too.

I know Excel has them for 300, anyone cheaper?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I’m interested too.

I know Excel has them for 300, anyone cheaper?
Wow, cheapest I found so far was REI at about $431 but I was not looking at these because they are inexpensive/cheap now; I just happened upon them while searching.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 03-07-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:04 PM
formerly Landshark_98

never used but generally impressed with Mavic machine built wheels.

I have Boyd Altamont Lites and a wheelset with the altamont light ceramic rims which I can recommend without reservation. In the same price range, nonceramic are a little lighter; they have exchangeable end caps (Mavic appear to be qr only), not quite as wide internally but on mine tires spread out 2+mm more than the stated width.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Excel may have had one pair in order to post that ad, but they're long gone now at that price. (I checked.)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Excel may have had one pair in order to post that ad, but they're long gone now at that price. (I checked.)
Excel is out of stock but if you order they will ship when stock replenished ETA 3/15

I "raced" CX for six seasons on a a set of Mavic Elites (1st gen) and Mavic Elites (2nd Gen around 2011). "Raced" because I was basically donating my entry fees for the chance to be in the pain cave for 45 minutes...

175#'s

Zero issues. The Rims are bomber even when hitting concrete lips with 35psi in cheap CX tires. Wheels stayed straight.

With tires, I doubt there will be a better deal than these at $300. You could get an older pair of wheels, but will forgo the "wide rim".

Run don't walk.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Excel

I ordered a set, they are “back ordered” but I have never had an issue with them delivering on a back order before. I’ll let you know....
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 PM

For me this was not about money but of course I do not want to spend a fortune on wheels. They are MSRP $800 so at $300 it seems they (i.e. Mavic/REI/Excel/etc.) are dumping stock because nobody is buying them. Again, who is really purchasing a factory built wide rim brake wheelset when the industry has all gone to DISC?

And, assuming these are Ksyriums with steel spokes I am assuming they are going to be really nice. Thoughts on performance (and not price)?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
...And, assuming these are Ksyriums with steel spokes I am assuming they are going to be really nice. Thoughts on performance (and not price)?
Performance-wise, not aero, but at 1600g with i22mm width it is impressive for Maxtal aluminum. I agree with the others that these should be tough.

By chance I just bought a nearly-unused Fuji CX bike last month, was ridiculously inexpensive even for a 10-year-old bike with cantilever brakes.
So now I have me a wheel upgrade on order, with tubeless tires that can play a couple of different tunes.

Note that these fit 130mm rear spacing, I had to go to Mavic's site to see any mention of what the axle spacing was. Luckily it's the same 130mm on my new Fuji, as well as on my existing CX bike.
Timely too, as I more or less ruined (ding and crack) my long-serving Cane-creek rear rim in this past season's first 'cross race.
All this at the same time that a friend is offering me a Chris King / HED Belgium wheelset! Maybe buy that one too?

Oh, and thanks, NYCfixie!

One more thing is that Excel also has the Shimano Pro 40g carbon pocket pump on sale right now for those who use pocket pumps.

Last edited by dddd; 03-07-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:31 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
For me this was not about money but of course I do not want to spend a fortune on wheels. They are MSRP $800 so at $300 it seems they (i.e. Mavic/REI/Excel/etc.) are dumping stock because nobody is buying them. Again, who is really purchasing a factory built wide rim brake wheelset when the industry has all gone to DISC?

And, assuming these are Ksyriums with steel spokes I am assuming they are going to be really nice. Thoughts on performance (and not price)?

Of course they are selling them cheap to get rid of them.

But if you have a frame these work for .... $300 with tires wide rim new? Tell me what better deal is out there

It's going to be a basic do it all wheel that will last as long as you want and at a weight that's hard to beat for the price
Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I ordered a set, they are “back ordered” but I have never had an issue with them delivering on a back order before. I’ll let you know....
I put in an order, too. We'll see if new stock show up.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM
v a n i l l a

$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

https://planetcyclery.com/mavic-allr...m_source=zaius
Old 03-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

From Planet Cyclery Website: "A 10% restocking fee will be applied for items returned to us."
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
from what i know about the sale of these wheels in talking with industry folk..someone put an extra 0 on an order form when mavic was getting the wheels made. so they have wayyyy too many in stock
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

"Freehub compatibility: No"
What?