Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 PM

I believe all current models are being made in Taiwan, I could be wrong though. Custom work will still go through Waterford, or the couple of builders they use.

For example, a Waterford Atlantis can still be had.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arazate View Post
I believe all current models are being made in Taiwan, I could be wrong though. Custom work will still go through Waterford, or the couple of builders they use.

For example, a Waterford Atlantis can still be had.
Got it, that's what I thought.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM

One data point that has struck me is how many more Rivendells there were at D2R2, say, ten years ago than there have been in the last few. It used to be that, if you wanted a nice 32+ mm tire, Rivendell was one of the few places to go for them (and Jack Browns were among the best available).

Grant Petersen was a visionary of the "all road" style of riding. As the "all-road" niche has grown into a full-fledged market segment, it seems that the flat-pedal, searsucker shirt-wearing segment is still a niche. And it's not as if expensive, US-made steel randonneuring bikes with racks and rim brakes aren't selling—look at Chapman and several other younger builders who are following in Peter Weigle's footsteps. If I had to pick a company that seems to be a (fairly) direct competitor doing things right in this space, it wouldn't by Black Mountain Cycles, but rather Compass. Probably no coincidence that both companies are run by fairly quirky owners.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:52 PM

I think where comparisons to a lot of newer companies get apples/oranges is RBW is a full bike shop with employees as well as an online purveyor of framesets. I don't have any sort of conclusion to draw from this, just pointing it out.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Looking at their catalog, are Rivendells still with the 1" threaded headset? If so, that would keep me from buying one of their bikes.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 AM

Someone mentioned Velo-Orange kind of seizing Rivendell 's rightful place. I present this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsGbbo5H...d=dvpyy7lq8lki

I like Grant 's writing a lot. Just can't justify his pricing. I would get a velo-orange first, unless you guys thought that the comparable rivendell rode better.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Looking at their catalog, are Rivendells still with the 1" threaded headset? If so, that would keep me from buying one of their bikes.
This forum is retrogrouch central. Yet even here the Festive 500 thread is filled with pics of bikes with disc brakes. You see any of those in the catalog? And discs are standard for the gravel scene.

On Rivendell's Blug there is a post with pics of their first build with 12 speed. That post was not made years ago. It was made last month--well, November. Apparently it was done at a customer's insistence.

The thought that people want thumb shifters instead of any of the advancements that have been made in the last thirty years is freaking bizarre.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
This forum is retrogrouch central. Yet even here the Festive 500 thread is filled with pics of bikes with disc brakes. You see any of those in the catalog? And discs are standard for the gravel scene.

On Rivendell's Blug there is a post with pics of their first build with 12 speed. That post was not made years ago. It was made last month--well, November. Apparently it was done at a customer's insistence.

The thought that people want thumb shifters instead of any of the advancements that have been made in the last thirty years is freaking bizarre.
This is inaccurate. They have a prototype of the new mtb they're riding around with a modern 1x drivetrain, and a couple of the younger folks working there use that stuff.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:03 PM

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDFWrider View Post
Someone mentioned Velo-Orange kind of seizing Rivendell 's rightful place. I present this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsGbbo5H...d=dvpyy7lq8lki

I like Grant 's writing a lot. Just can't justify his pricing. I would get a velo-orange first, unless you guys thought that the comparable rivendell rode better.
Agree, that Velo Orange in that Instagram link is nice! And it has disc brakes. If Rivendell is going to mainstream and modern components it doesn't look like it on their web site.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
This is inaccurate. They have a prototype of the new mtb they're riding around with a modern 1x drivetrain, and a couple of the younger folks working there use that stuff.
To me this is what’s frustrating about Rivendell. As I pointed out earlier, they had a picture of the Roadeo outfitted with Sram Force components, which according to one guy is 10 speed and already outdated! The bike was their their “go-fast” and designed to attract riders interested in carbon bikes. But the photo was buried and if you didn’t know to look at the Roadeo, you wouldn’t see it.

Similarly, here you say they have a new prototype mtb with modern 1x drivetrain, but again no pictures?! If Rivendell wants to attract new customers, shouldn’t they show their bikes with the latest stuff that could actually attracts buyers?

They could still do the upright/sweep back bar thing, but by showing their bikes with modern equipment it would be a good thing for business, especially if they already offer it!

I know, Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 01-02-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Riv clearly states on their derailleur page that they're not the place for people looking for all the current drivetrains on the market. Velo-Orange isn't either, they don't sell ANY derailleurs.

Both companies focus on sticking with the stuff that's in their lane and that their customers are looking for. I don't know what the situation is with bike builds at V-O, but Riv will order up and install whatever you want on a frame you buy from them.

Currently they're running a 1x11 (maybe it's 12, can't remember now) on the mtb prototype they're riding all over Mt. Diablo, with the expectation that a lot of people will order them that way. I suspect some of that stuff will end up on the website after the frame is in production.

Bottom line: If you like Riv frames and want one set up with stuff you like, order the frame and the stuff you like.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:39 PM

Yes, they are pics of the mtb with the 1x on blog pages. It isn't available for sale yet, so there's no product page to look at.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Riv clearly states on their derailleur page that they're not the place for people looking for all the current drivetrains on the market. Velo-Orange isn't either, they don't sell ANY derailleurs.

Both companies focus on sticking with the stuff that's in their lane and that their customers are looking for. I don't know what the situation is with bike builds at V-O, but Riv will order up and install whatever you want on a frame you buy from them.

Currently they're running a 1x11 (maybe it's 12, can't remember now) on the mtb prototype they're riding all over Mt. Diablo, with the expectation that a lot of people will order them that way. I suspect some of that stuff will end up on the website after the frame is in production.

Bottom line: If you like Riv frames and want one set up with stuff you like, order the frame and the stuff you like.
That sentiment doesn't exactly come through crystal clear from a site where the Blahg spends many words telling people why threaded headsets are the greatest thing ever, threadless is lame, thumb shifters are where it's at, and no one actually needs any of the "new" stuff the industry pushes on people. Which is particularly complicating when it seems new models are increasingly ordered only through pre-sale and deposits and a looooong wait for delivery from the producer. Gotta give customers some image to cling to, even that image maybe isn't what Grant would personally ride.

tl;dr: The overall tone isn't exactly "We'll build what you want."
Old 01-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The overall tone isn't exactly "We'll build what you want."
On the other hand, isn't this one of the things that some folks say got Serotta in trouble? Building wonky-looking frames to accommodate customers' desires that lead others to accuse them of building cr@p for rich old dentists.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
That sentiment doesn't exactly come through crystal clear from a site where the Blahg spends many words telling people why threaded headsets are the greatest thing ever, threadless is lame, thumb shifters are where it's at, and no one actually needs any of the "new" stuff the industry pushes on people. Which is particularly complicating when it seems new models are increasingly ordered only through pre-sale and deposits and a looooong wait for delivery from the producer. Gotta give customers some image to cling to, even that image maybe isn't what Grant would personally ride.

tl;dr: The overall tone isn't exactly "We'll build what you want."
But I know they'll build exactly what I want because I read the site regularly. What I'm getting from some of you guys is Riv isn't your thing, then you complain it isn't your thing after a couple cursory glances at the site. Maybe you should just accept you like other bikes and parts better. That's ok.
Closed Thread