Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
This is true, but I'm guessing based on their current salary situation that they aren't done moving pieces around this year. Dellavedova is almost certainly on the way out, maybe they can get something better than "John Henson being tall and skinny" in return.
Henson's a decent rim protector, but hasn't turned into much else.

Can they move Dellie with that horrid contract? Seems like an ideal buyout candidate.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I'd assume any Bucks deal is centered around Monroe's expiring contract and picks.
good call. i didn't think they'd get him for that little... but they did!

however, after watching part of their game vs. cleveland, i'm less sure the trade will improve them. they had nothing in the half court except giannis taking it to the rack. everyone else was content to take a couple of hard dribbles and then swing the ball to someone else... who would take a couple of hard dribbles and then swing the ball... until they got it to the greek, forced up a last second shot or turned it over

at least monroe gave them a viable option in the post that let them play in-and-out so they could generate offence with giannis on the bench. and despite his limitations he was definitely their best interior defender, again besides giannis. bledsoe is pretty good in pick and roll, but it's not a huge part of the bucks offence. kidd should realize that getting the second unit to run more of it will play to his new pg's strength, but he hasn't struck me as the most intelligent or dynamic of coaches...

i'm hoping this trade helps the bucks right the ship, but i'm not hopeful

Last edited by boomforeal; 11-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Honestly I was more afraid of the bucs with Monroe than with Bledsoe. Monroe always destroyed the sixers...Bledsoe is a nice player, but he's one of many nice players.

Monroe gave you glass clearing defense and post moves if you fed him the ball. Always liked him.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 PM

You could kinda see the absence of Monroe last night. Henson just got bullied by KLove.

What the hell is going on with the Thunder? They have an awesome defense (2nd so far) and a bottom third offense that ends up being the 5th best net rating. Yet they are 4-6 with no wins against the West. They have had maybe 3 halves of really great basketball so far. The Celtics just eviscerated them on Irving/Horford pick and pop, something that shouldn't happen when you have Andre Roberson, Paul George and Steven Adams on the court.

I saw only a limited amount before I went to bed last night, but they looked confused to me. Not really frustrated, just not sure of exactly where the ball should be going, exactly who was covering weakside rotations, who was coming off the pindown.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You could kinda see the absence of Monroe last night. Henson just got bullied by KLove.

What the hell is going on with the Thunder? They have an awesome defense (2nd so far) and a bottom third offense that ends up being the 5th best net rating. Yet they are 4-6 with no wins against the West. They have had maybe 3 halves of really great basketball so far. The Celtics just eviscerated them on Irving/Horford pick and pop, something that shouldn't happen when you have Andre Roberson, Paul George and Steven Adams on the court.

I saw only a limited amount before I went to bed last night, but they looked confused to me. Not really frustrated, just not sure of exactly where the ball should be going, exactly who was covering weakside rotations, who was coming off the pindown.
The offense is "I go, now you go" between Carmelo and Russ at this point. They're still figuring it out.

The Heatles started 9-8 too, and they got it going eventually. Just takes time to gel.

Carmelo has surprisingly looked not completely terrible defending the 4, and Donovan has been far smarter about rotating those three into various lineups so someone's on the court all the time.

I'm more curious to see what happens in Houston when Paul comes back.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:55 PM

The OKC thing is kinda weird. I wouldn't worry until their net-rating/win/loss things get a little more aligned.

I was hoping they'd be more fun to watch. The first half against the Celtics made them look real good. I kinda expected them to look a little disjointed but win with the talent (ala Timberwolves....Pels a little too).
Old 11-08-2017, 01:09 PM

i don't know why but i've never liked watching russ. i can appreciate everything good about him - just don't enjoy it

carmelo on the other hand... i've really enjoyed watching him run (take over?) the offence on the second unit for the thunder. relieved of nyk politics, expectations, most media attention, he just goes out there and balls, and seems to be having fun!

i think this has been my favourite sequence of the year so far - both melo's spin move and giannis' oh-no-you-don't come from behind block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgJoU0Ldb0

Last edited by boomforeal; 11-08-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myth_jimmy View Post
The OKC thing is kinda weird. I wouldn't worry until their net-rating/win/loss things get a little more aligned.

I was hoping they'd be more fun to watch. The first half against the Celtics made them look real good. I kinda expected them to look a little disjointed but win with the talent (ala Timberwolves....Pels a little too).

Russ has taken a big step back with his usage rate and you can see him trying to get others moving, but as FlashUNC mentions, there is still a lot of my turn, your turn, whose team is this stuff. Some of that just might be Russ though. Even when Durant and Ibaka were there and the offensive rating was top 5, it was kind of a rotating ISO offense.

The Bucks game and the 1st half of Celtics made them look like world beaters, so clearly the potential is there. I just figured that Sacto would be one of the teams they would roll over just on talent even if it wasn't aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited by Jaybee; 11-08-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Sorry I got your name wrong, Flash
Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Pretty cool to see these two dudes doing well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...s-making-money
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myth_jimmy View Post
Pretty cool to see these two dudes doing well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...s-making-money
That's awesome. You have to be an obsessive to make it through even one episode, but if you are an obsessive, there is nothing better. Those two have informed the way I think about basketball as much as anyone the last 10 years.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:13 PM

I think I got on to them around the time they first started, just before the playoffs.
Save for vacations I don't think I've missed an episode.

It's such a habit now.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:22 PM

A big part of it for me is their nerdy friendship, and they way they synergize together. I don't enjoy episodes that don't have both of them or Leroux's RealGM stuff nearly as much, even though he will have guests that I would normally like to listen to.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM

Agree on the RealGM ones...they're good for the guest more than Danny.
I don't mind some of Nate by himself, but they're best together.

I'm trying out the SI Open Floor pod with Ben Golliver & Andrew Sharp, which seems like it should be good.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 PM

1. so lonzo got a triple double today. youngest in NBA history. people are debating whether he's the next big thing or a bust... truthfully, how can we know? he's not even 20 games into his first season. i do think that he's a pretty good guy and i wish him the best of luck.

2. warriors third quarters are back. steph - i know he doesn't post the best raw stats every night but the warriors don't look like the warriors when he's not playing. he just makes everyone better.

3. giannis is something to behold. he's a superstar, no doubt. porzingis is getting there, too. great performances from two young guys that have a promising future in the league.

4. cousins and AD as deadly of a duo as we had hoped to see last year. very cool to see they've figured out how to work together.

5. d'angelo russell is proving to be quite the player. the lakers trading him off probably gave him the fire under his ass needed to play better/be more motivated.

6. the thunder have to figure things out. honestly i'm not a huge westbrook fan - i think he sucks out a lot of the oxygen in a good offense and his heroball in the 4th quarter has lost the thunder a considerable amount of games in the past few years. however, they'll be good - westbrook, melo, and pg are all players capable of taking over games and once they learn how to do that together, they'll be nice. it's just early, that's all.

7. jimmy butler needs to take more shots. the wolves are young and still have a harder time closing out games and that's when the veteran needs to step in. i will say though he is playing well despite a lower usage rate - defensively, the whole team looks better. on that note, KAT won't be a superstar in my eyes until he plays better D.

8. brad stevens can obviously coach. major props to the celtics for doing so well despite a rocky start and not always having all their players. wow.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-21-2018 at 12:22 AM.