Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 PM
aka RAEKWON

the thing too is they could have made some cool bikes, they already had the factory connections, why not make bikes people want? make some crust style bikes instead of making double top tube bikes no one wants or other calamities.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:20 PM

Wait, you mean asking people for gift card purchases regularly to keep the cash flow going is not a sustainable business model?

Shocker.

I just imagine a warehouse full of axes in Walnut Creek that they can't move, standing around baffled why they aren't selling like hotcakes. What do cyclists need? Axes!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

I just imagine a warehouse full of axes in Walnut Creek that they can't move, standing around baffled why they aren't selling like hotcakes. What do cyclists need? Axes!
thank you flash.

i needed a good laugh tonight. maybe i didnt need to laugh the mixed cocktail i'm sipping out my nose, but i did need a laugh. hilarious!

Axes!!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:51 PM

He should take it full circle and seriously promote the East market, as in Japan and the far east. Isn't that how Rapha is keeping it together right now?
Old 12-29-2018, 09:58 PM

Man,..I concur. They should be pushing their bikes as the first all road bikes. Holy cow.If this isn't their time..I dunno what is! Seriously..am I crazy? They should be killing it in this market.

What am I missing?

And yeah..I've always wondered ...What is up with the axes and pine tar soap? Does grizzly Adams ride their bikes? I've seriously wondered this but always thought it was a favor for some friend of Grant's.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Man,..I concur. They should be pushing their bikes as the first all road bikes. Holy cow.If this isn't their time..I dunno what is! Seriously..am I crazy? They should be killing it in this market.

What am I missing?
Yup.

Grant is hopelessly out of touch. Rivendell should have been the OG hipster brand.
With gravel bikes the market has moved to the general area that Grant always promoted but he totally missed out. Being completely out of ideas--at least ideas that anyone would actually buy--he could have just copied Surly and used something other than gaspipe. Instead his bikes veered off into bizarro world.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Yup.

Grant is hopelessly out of touch....he could have just copied Surly and used something other than gaspipe. Instead his bikes veered off into bizarro world.
But isn't that what the Rodini is suppose to be? A "road" bike with heavier tubing then say the Roadeo? Yes, he is focusing on a bunch of other weird shape bikes, but they still have the Roadeo, Roadini, and of
course the custom Rivendell!

I'm always amazed that Grant never tries to show his "road" bikes with more modern parts. Yes, I know he's not into e-shifting like di2, but he could show his bikes fitted with DA/Ultegra/105 mechanical? Hope they can figure it out!

Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2018, 12:23 AM

I don't know, the Rambouillet had much more traditional or sensible geometry than the long chainstay/tall headtube for long chainstay/tall headtube's sake that all of their current bikes seem to have. Their lack of middle of the road/all-around offerings has always been a huge turnoff for me.

Like, I would ride the hell out of this bike. If it had Shimano or SRAM.

This Blériot also looks way more sensible than most of their current stuff.

Regardless, begging for handouts every few months while continuing the same very specific and esoteric offerings isn't a good look.

Last edited by jtbadge; 12-30-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:36 AM

I was wrong, Riv does advertise a bike with modern parts - looks like Sram Force:

Riv advertises it as their "fastest" bike too!

In contrast, the Roadini, a tig-welded frameset doesn't seem to work, even as a 1x!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 12-30-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I was wrong, Riv does advertise a bike with modern parts - looks like Sram Force:
Sure, but a sold out $2600 frameset. Also Force 10 is almost ten years old at this point.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post

In contrast, the Roadini, a tig-welded frameset doesn't seem to work, even as a 1x!

Good Luck!
i think if the Roadini was set up like the roadeo it’d look nicer

This looks like a nice sport tourer? It’s pretty stout but from all accounts I’ve seen does ride nice

Last edited by belopsky; 12-30-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:01 AM

gransfors bruk axes are badass and the world is better with riv in existence, imo

Last edited by ashwa64; 12-30-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwa64 View Post
gransfors bruks axes are badass and the world is better with riv in existence, imo
Grant jumped the shark many years ago. Urban lumbersexuals have moved on to other trendy toys and encouraging Rivendell cult members to make fires while bike packing/camping is kinda irresponsible especially when you live in a state that has major fires every year.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:08 PM

Fly On The Wall

So much baggage and backwards business think from Rivi, I wonder, besides the begging, what their survival strategy is going forward?

The bicycle market is volatile and if you're stuck in a hole I don't see how you will be able to react when necessary. How long can they live off of being quirky?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM

Velo Orange

seems as if Velo Orange took most of what Riv was doing and bested Riv in nearly every way. A wider open cult without the overt dogma and way more entrprenureship. Riv bikes seem to be prettier but that may be the only distinguishing factor.

Last edited by eddief; 12-30-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Closed Thread