Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 01-18-2018, 01:10 PM

Serotta HSG di2

If anyone has an F3 fork with a 300mm steerer tube and 40-43 rake, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3865-phpEfICurAM.jpg (94.6 KB, 473 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 AM

Nice!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 AM

Thanks. It is really a stunningly beautiful bike and rides as nicely, and the Di2 has totally surprised this luddite with how well it works. I really like the hidden battery and the simple charging port. Just wish the hole in the downtube for the wire was on the opposite side so it could be tied into the brake cable better.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM

Looks great. A lot of Serottas from that time period have not aged gracefully - but aesthetics of this one are on point!
Old 06-24-2020, 01:44 PM

Have been playing around with different forks on this bike. Here's a Falz v2 setup. It has a 45mm rake, which I'm finding is a little too twitchy for me. (Not the greatest photo - can you actually find the bike frame in there?)

I really like the Di2 on this bike. And that's a good thing, considering it was built solely for electronic shifting. Shifting is perfect every time, I just never have to think about it at all.

This has been my only carbon bike for the last few years. It's an evolution from several Look 585 frames. The geometry on this one is spot-on for me, and the visuals look really good to me. Not bad for a used bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2350-1.jpg (143.7 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by tv_vt; 06-24-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:37 PM
You still here?

[X] Like
Old 06-24-2020, 07:55 PM

Thanks, Dave.

Here's a current view with a Seven 5e fork. This is a nice setup, even though the Falz fork maybe looked a little better.

Rode a 100 mile loop in the White Mountains in NH yesterday on this. Worked like a dream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2413.jpg (83.5 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by tv_vt; 06-25-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Nice bike, and nice century! Wish I had more elevation here. What is the trail with the 45mm fork offset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Have been playing around with different forks on this bike. Here's a Falz v2 setup. It has a 45mm rake, which I'm finding is a little too twitchy for me. (Not the greatest photo - can you actually find the bike frame in there?)

I really like the Di2 on this bike. And that's a good thing, considering it was built solely for electronic shifting. Shifting is perfect every time, I just never have to think about it at all.

This has been my only carbon bike for the last few years. It's an evolution from several Look 585 frames. The geometry on this one is spot-on for me, and the visuals look really good to me. Not bad for a used bike.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Trail? Not sure, Marc, I don't know what the HT angle is on this frame. But the 5e fork on there now has a little taller axle to crown length than other forks, so that plays into it too. I'd say the trail is 60-ish. With the 45mm rake Falz, it was maybe a little less than that and just felt a little too squirrely for my tastes.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:40 PM

Various iPhone apps let you use the phone to measure angles. With HTA and wheel size and fork offset you can calculate trail. It would be interesting to learn how much difference makes it squirrelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Trail? Not sure, Marc, I don't know what the HT angle is on this frame. But the 5e fork on there now has a little taller axle to crown length than other forks, so that plays into it too. I'd say the trail is 60-ish. With the 45mm rake Falz, it was maybe a little less than that and just felt a little too squirrely for my tastes.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Various iPhone apps let you use the phone to measure angles. With HTA and wheel size and fork offset you can calculate trail. It would be interesting to learn how much difference makes it squirrelly.
I use this on-line trail calculator all the time!

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php

I read a lot of articles that say 58mm is a good 'normal' trail, but I find that too fast handling. My preferred trail is 60-61mm. And yes, I know there's more to it than just that number.