Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Buying a tandem, maybe. Clueless.

I'm starting to seriously look at getting a tandem for GF & me. I looked at this one on CL, and it looks good to me, but it is older (~2005). I'm not sure what to even look for.
It has 26" wheels. I'd rather 700's, but should I care that much?
Too old for disc brakes. Are the ones it has good ones? Would converting to disc be a total PITA? Even worth it? The Avid Drag, as I understand it, is to scrub speed off long descents.
And the "independent coasting system". It sounds like a good idea. Is it in practice? I've only ridden one tandem. Really enjoyed it, but it was 20 years ago & a very cheap bike even then.
Not sure if anything will come of this, but any guidance from tandem riders would be great.
I saw the one listed in the classifieds, but even older & the 165 cranks seem really short.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...301059464.html
Old 09-11-2017, 05:25 PM

I'm not sure what an"independent coasting' system is but it doesn't sound like a good idea if it means that the stoker can coast while the captain works. Our tandem has conventional V-brakes and they work just fine for us but the tandem is just used for recreational riding, nothing too fast and no loaded touring.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM

That's a lot of scratch to blow trying one out.
And that bike is, as the owner says, "unique" in many ways, not all necessarily good.
I would be patient and I bet you can pick one up for $1000 or less.
I got my family started on tandem riding with one I found here in the classifieds. We loved it and now we even have a triple.
Who knows if you are going to like it?
Can you go to a local tandem rally, sometimes they have bikes there for people to try out?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:08 PM

I would suggest that you NOT just look for the cheapest used tandem available and go out and buy it. You could end up with a poor fit and mechanical issues that would turn you off to tandems for good. If there is a local bike shop that sells tandems I would going there and do some test riding. This will also allow the both of you to come home and evaluate how compatible the two of you are riding together. I can understand that money may be a factor in the purchase but there are some benefits to newer tandems and you could better evaulate an appropriate tradeoff between cost and value. In any case take your time, the more exposure you have with test riding and talking to others the better.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Tandems are like trips to Ikea, they usually cause a break-up.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
And that bike is, as the owner says, "unique" in many ways, not all necessarily good.
So what do you see here that might be a problem?
I agree that that's still a fair amount of cash for something that might not work. Hadn't thought about checking out any rallys. I'll give that a look. I don't know of any shops that sell them & since I'm looking at used, I'd feel bad using them as a test kitchen with no intention of buying the food, but I used to own a store, so I may be overly sensitive to stuff like that.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Good deals can be had on good tandems. my buddy bought a Burley from the 90's for $200, originally it was about $1200

i picked up a very decent Univega 1990's tandem for $100. It needed the correct seatposts and some tweaking but its very light compared the vintage Schwinn tandem I had earlier this year

Last edited by pinkshogun; 12-03-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Depending on your sizing, I might have a comotion that may work for you. Will PM you.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashunc View Post
tandems are like trips to ikea, they usually cause a break-up.
lol!!
Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 PM

DaVinci is a high quality tandem. This bike is a low end hybrid style version. 26 inch wheels are much stronger than 700c and with a tandem, that is a plus for heavy riders. You wouldn't buy this bike to scorch up the local ride. You buy it for much more relaxed rides.

Independent coasting can cause a serious fight. Tandems are already relationship accelerators, that just makes it worse.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
So what do you see here that might be a problem?
I agree that that's still a fair amount of cash for something that might not work. Hadn't thought about checking out any rallys. I'll give that a look. I don't know of any shops that sell them & since I'm looking at used, I'd feel bad using them as a test kitchen with no intention of buying the food, but I used to own a store, so I may be overly sensitive to stuff like that.
1. Do you really need to pay for couplers?
2. How "unique" is the drivetrain? Who is going to be able to service it?
3. Really nice used tandems often go for $1000 or less.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 PM

rent one first.

then rent it a couple more times just to make sure.

ask me how i know.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
rent one first.

ask me how i know.
This is good advice. My daughter's mom didn't ride ours much with me. My daughter DID ride lots with me from the time she was 7 years old to about 9 years old. Her longest ride was 37 miles.

So, yes, rent one or borrow one a few times... just to be sure. It'll help with fit, too.

Mike in AR
Old 09-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
DaVinci is a high quality tandem. This bike is a low end hybrid style version. 26 inch wheels are much stronger than 700c and with a tandem, that is a plus for heavy riders. You wouldn't buy this bike to scorch up the local ride. You buy it for much more relaxed rides.

Independent coasting can cause a serious fight. Tandems are already relationship accelerators, that just makes it worse.
We wouldn't be a heavy team, I wouldn't think. Less than 310 between us. Not sure we'd need stronger wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
1. Do you really need to pay for couplers?
2. How "unique" is the drivetrain? Who is going to be able to service it?
3. Really nice used tandems often go for $1000 or less.
1) No, but I have an S&S bike already, so not a problem
2) See? That's a worry. I never heard of it before today. According to the Great Google, some love it, some hate it. It appears to be better for pairs of mismatched riders, skill wise. That, again, isn't really us.
3) I want one of those.

Thanks guys. Great advice, as usual. This place has cost me a fortune, but it has saved me one, too.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
rent one first.

ask me how i know.
I'd second that emotion.