Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 11:20 AM

LBS rant

I've called 9 bike shops today looking for a bike for my wife. I'm not cranky that i can't find the exact model (Cannondale FSi in XS) but I am cranky that I've been told no less than 4 times that "we don't typically carry nicer bikes in small sizes." I get that inventory is costly. But if you don't want me to go shopping on the interwebs then you can't adopt a policy that prevents me from ever finding what I'm looking for in your store. My wife is super hard to fit, but it's not just her. I'm not a tall guy and I've run into the same thing innumerable times. I see no reason to buy local if shops can't provide value. End rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 11:46 AM

What is your wife's height?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Understandable. My wife and I just had a delightful experience at a LBS and they will continue to get our business.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

If you're outside the bell curve, you're going to have problems.

...since I'm on the other side of the phone...

If we buy a nice, S or XS bike, we sit on it. Sometimes for years before we can sell it at cost, or sometimes below. So, 'we*' don't tend to order in the nice stuff for XS or S customers unless they special order it.

To a lesser extent, it holds true on the opposite side of the bell curve: XL or XXL bikes are typically mid-range at best unless one of the owners is huge.

...AND... if you're shopping via phone, I'm lots less likely to order something based on a 'I want X' call than if someone comes in to the shop and we can see that they're 'a serious cyclist' and has $$ in hand to back up that 'I want' statement.

M

*we being any of the shops I've been in for the last 20 years
Old 09-13-2017, 12:30 PM
but not really

Does the local car dealer stock the convertible and the mega pick up truck in every color and possible combination of features?

This is an unreasonable expectation by the OP. A good LBS should say "We don't order higher end bikes in XS because we struggle to sell them, but we'll work with Cannondale to see if we can locate one and possibly have it transferred here."
Old 09-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
A good LBS should say "We don't order higher end bikes in XS because we struggle to sell them, but we'll work with Cannondale to see if we can locate one and possibly have it transferred here."
Yup, agreed, the problem here is really that a "good LBS" is getting harder and harder to find these days...and even a good shop is only as good as its employees.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM

couple thoughts...
1) you can't get Cannondales online, only at LBS. so I assume you meant you'd buy another bike brand, not a CDale. but even then, you'd likely have to wait about the same amount of time as you would had you just asked your LBS to order it, no?
2) the FSI can be up to an $11k bike. not sure what level you're buying of course but I get that they can't sit on inventory of bikes that, based on their experience, they may have to eat the cost of. high end stuff is usually just smack-dab middle of bell curve stuff to look flashy on the floor; sizes that are very likely to sell, very little back stock.
3) why not just go to your local shop and order one? maybe she can ride a lower level build just to make sure it fits OK first? if you're buying a high level bike, it's worth that. and I'm sure you'll find the value you seek in that, as well as after sales service.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

If we buy a nice, S or XS bike, we sit on it. Sometimes for years before we can sell it at cost, or sometimes below. So, 'we*' don't tend to order in the nice stuff for XS or S customers unless they special order it.

To a lesser extent, it holds true on the opposite side of the bell curve: XL or XXL bikes are typically mid-range at best unless one of the owners is huge.

...AND... if you're shopping via phone, I'm lots less likely to order something based on a 'I want X' call than if someone comes in to the shop and we can see that they're 'a serious cyclist' and has $$ in hand to back up that 'I want' statement.

M

*we being any of the shops I've been in for the last 20 years
^this

never had any problems by actually going into a shop and talking to someone and them ordering exactly what I wanted. If you just call, they know you're going to hang up and call the next shop on your list.

That being said, my 5'1" girlfriend wanted a bike and I picked up a brand new Giant Avail women's XS frameset from a bike shop for $150. It'd pretty much sit on their floor for two seasons.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
you can't adopt a policy that prevents me from ever finding what I'm looking for in your store.
Undeniable.
But retail has some understandable limitations as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

M
Very true.
We have a couple of 2015 49cm bikes that are discounted below cost.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM

I'd be a LOT more satisfied if there was actual problem solving on the other end of the phone. "We don't carry that" isn't the end of the sentence. I've worked in bike shops and would have. been canned for being lazy. I still work in a service profession and would be canned for pulling that. And to the poster who said he treats phone calls differently than in person customers, you just wouldn't get my business. Say what you want, but that's the shop's loss not mine. I know what I'm looking for. I'd be an idiot if I didn't first call around to see if someone had it in stock. The shop that gets my business is the one that says "let's solve this together". The 13th shop I called did that. I'm heading in this weekend to chat with them and may very well walk out having parted with some $$$. It should be an embarrassment to the industry that it took 13 phone calls for that to happen.

When I talk about buying online I am speaking broadly about the griping I hear from LBS owners that customers should buy local. My response is "have a better business model". If you are a brick and mortar business losing to online sales, it's nuts to expect the consumer to change. I happen to love many of my LBS, but I don't shop there out of charity. I shop at those that add value. Many don't. And having no way (either by inventory or by service) to serve shorter people is an example.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
Undeniable.

But retail has some understandable limitations as well.

Agreed. And until shops start upping the service delivered, or start thinking creatively how to compete, they'll keep losing to the Internet. If all you compete on is price and availability, the Internet will win every time.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Does the local car dealer stock the convertible and the mega pick up truck in every color and possible combination of features?

This is an unreasonable expectation by the OP. A good LBS should say "We don't order higher end bikes in XS because we struggle to sell them, but we'll work with Cannondale to see if we can locate one and possibly have it transferred here."
I agree, have the shop do an extensive bike fit(for free) and then order it with the understanding that if she doesn't like it, for ANY reason, money back.

This is the same for any item, at any retail, that comes in 'sizes'...
Old 09-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
Agreed. And until shops start upping the service delivered, or start thinking creatively how to compete, they'll keep losing to the Internet. If all you compete on is price and availability, the Internet will win every time.

Maybe, back to the OP, order that XS whatever online...and it doesn't 'work', the repack/return gig isn't painless. Whereas, the bike fit->order->satisfaction guaranteed...at a LBS is much less potentially painful.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Administrator

curious: what is the return policy on a bike like this?

for example - if you did wind up going to one of the LBS and having them order a XS bike, assuming they agreed it was the correct fit for your wife, and it came in and didnt fit well. would they take it back?