Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 01:46 AM

Backwards - Moto style brake config

Just picked up the bike hire/rental here in Sydney Australia and in addition to driving on the wrong side of the road, they have the bike brakes set up moto style, with the left lever controlling the rear and right lever controlling the front brake.

The shifting however is just like I have it on my bikes, left front and right rear derailleur. Hope I don't kill myself with muscle memory...

Looking forward to seeing more of Sydney on the bike.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 AM

Hehe.

I have all of my bikes (except the one with disc brakes) set up with the left lever controlling the front brake and the right for the rear brake. Apparently that's illegal but I don't care - it works best for me and I doubt that the cops would even care.

Enjoy Sydney - it's a great city (but Melbourne's better )
Old 09-12-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
Hehe.

I have all of my bikes (except the one with disc brakes) set up with the left lever controlling the front brake and the right for the rear brake. Apparently that's illegal but I don't care - it works best for me and I doubt that the cops would even care.

Enjoy Sydney - it's a great city (but Melbourne's better )
I did not know that is actually the law. They are also very serious about always having a helmet while riding.

The people here in the pub respectfully disagree about Melbourne being better. I will just need to visit sometime and decide for myself.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
I did not know that is actually the law. They are also very serious about always having a helmet while riding.

The people here in the pub respectfully disagree about Melbourne being better. I will just need to visit sometime and decide for myself.

Cheers.
The rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne is fierce and legendary (and not always friendly).

The only reason our capital city Canberra is half way between Melbourne and Sydney is because the politicians in both cities couldn't agree on which one of Melbourne or Sydney should be the capital. So they built it in the middle of a sheep paddock in a valley.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Category VI

That's how I have my brakes routed as well. And I live in the US.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Just picked up the bike hire/rental here in Sydney Australia and in addition to driving on the wrong side of the road, they have the bike brakes set up moto style, with the left lever controlling the rear and right lever controlling the front brake.

The shifting however is just like I have it on my bikes, left front and right rear derailleur. Hope I don't kill myself with muscle memory...

I've been 'goofy footed' for years...allows you to brake(rear) when either grabbing a mussette bag or shifting rear while braking....I know, oldfartedness.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:56 PM

All my bikes are set up that way, starting back when I was racing CX (where there's a real reason- rear braking only while dismounting), and not wanting to re-wire my brain between my CX and other bikes. The only downside is when people occasionally borrow one of my bikes, that and sometimes cables need to be routed a little differently (crossover) for alternative optimal smooth braking or avoiding cable rub. I'm thinking that someday a thief might find themselves flying over my handlebar during a fast getaway... that would be sweet.

Last edited by zennmotion; 09-12-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM

My bikes are moto style, dating from when I was riding motos too! Easier to keep it all consistent. Trickier to switch hydraulics, whic I did when I bought my Pivot MTB.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
As it turns out, you are not the "outlaw" that you might think you are. The CPSC (which regulates bicycle safety standards in the US) says that right/rear left/front brake routing is the default, but that it may be swapped if desired. The actual wording from the CPSC bicycle regulations is (bolding added for emphasis):

Quote:
(b) Hand levers have to be on the handlebars and readily usable. The distance between middle of a hand lever and the handlebar may be no wider than 3 ½ inches (3 inches for levers on sidewalk bicycles). Unless a customer specifies otherwise, the hand lever that operates the rear brake must be on the right handlebar. The lever that operates the front brake must be on the left handlebar. A lever that operates both brakes may be on either handlebar. Please note that, if a bicycle has hand lever extensions, all tests are conducted with the extensions in place.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
As it turns out, you are not the "outlaw" that you might think you are. The CPSC (which regulates bicycle safety standards in the US) says that right/rear left/front brake routing is the default, but that it may be swapped if desired. The actual wording from the CPSC bicycle regulations is (bolding added for emphasis):
Why would CPSC affect Llewellyn?

In any case, I (I am in the US) have always set up:
Right = front brake, rear der
Left = rear brake, front der
mainly because I find this set-up more comfortable and immediate, being right-handed. It is second nature at this point.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Why would CPSC affect Llewellyn?

Ooops! I didn't notice his location.

I guess the right/left orientation varies by country.

Another case is which seat an aircraft is piloted from. A fixed wing aircraft is generally piloted from the left seat, whereas a rotary wing aircraft is generally piloted from the wrong seat
Old 09-12-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Another case is which seat an aircraft is piloted from. A fixed wing aircraft is generally piloted from the left seat, whereas a rotary wing aircraft is generally piloted from the wrong seat
Interesting. I wonder what the reasons are.

Do UK pilots fly from the "other side"?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM

I remember reading somewhere that the reasoning behind right = rear brakes for U.S. is that most people are right handed and the idea is a newer rider in a panic would grab too much brake, and the right hand being stronger, if used for the front, would cause too many face plants.

Have no idea if this is actual fact, but sounds reasonable.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the reasoning behind right = rear brakes for U.S. is that most people are right handed and the idea is a newer rider in a panic would grab too much brake, and the right hand being stronger, if used for the front, would cause too many face plants.

Have no idea if this is actual fact, but sounds reasonable.
Maybe Sheldon Brown? Have to scroll to middle of the page, Which Brake Which Side?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:

The left lever is the clutch on a moto, not the rear brake...