Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 08:19 AM

SRAM GX 11 Grip Shift

Can I use a SRAM GX11 Grip Shifter with a 9 Speed Rear Hub Drive motor wheel?

It’s getting more difficult understanding what can function together with all of the newer componetry
Old 03-09-2024, 09:23 AM

I think you'll need to find out if you can fit an 11 speed cassette on that wheel first. If the cassette fits, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to use the shifter.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:23 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydoesntknow View Post
I think you'll need to find out if you can fit an 11 speed cassette on that wheel first. If the cassette fits, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to use the shifter.
%.
Let me rephrase my question Corey. What I meant to ask is……………….can I use the grip-shifter with only a 9 speed cassette on the motor wheel hub? All of the wheels I’ve seem advertised are 9 speed or less. I’d really like to do this but don’t want to change a shifter and or derailleur to make it happen.

I appreciate your input because like you, I don’t know
Old 03-10-2024, 04:38 AM

I’m pretty sure that the GX 11 speed shifter will not shift a 9-speed cassette well, the spacing between cogs is different.

With that said, I’m pretty sure most mtb 11-speed cassettes will fit on a regular 9/10 speed Shimano freehub. My M8000 11-42 uses a spacer on an 11-speed freehub. So you might be able to just get an 11-speed cassette and use that.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
I’m pretty sure that the GX 11 speed shifter will not shift a 9-speed cassette well, the spacing between cogs is different.

With that said, I’m pretty sure most mtb 11-speed cassettes will fit on a regular 9/10 speed Shimano freehub. My M8000 11-42 uses a spacer on an 11-speed freehub. So you might be able to just get an 11-speed cassette and use that.
Yeah what rothwern said, you should at minimum be able to get a 10 speed cassette on that hub body (8/9/10 should all be the same). If you can get a 10 or 11 speed cassette on that, the shifter will work