Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Sit bone aka ischial tuberosity pain

Throwing this out there in case anyone has a similar experience and recovery. I rode only a couple thousand miles in 2019 and was off the bike from Thanksgiving until New Years. Bike fit has been fine and no issues with saddle or discomfort in that area for a long time.

Was up to the point where I was doing 90 minute rides and started one 9 days ago with no pre-existing problems. About 20 minutes in as I was leaning forward to ride in the drops for a while and rotated forward on saddle had a sudden sharp pain in the left sit bone. Tried finding a good position but moving around felt like I was rolling over something like a tendon between between the saddle and bone, really uncomfortable.

Decided to take a week off bike and try again. In the down time no issues other than I could feel if I thought about it or tested it by sitting on a hard surface and squirming around. Got on the bike today and within 5 minutes it's flaring back up. Swapped to different saddle that had been replaced for other issues and same result.

Ideas other than more time off. I can't think of any cause of injury other than just riding along.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:20 PM
You still here?

I’d say, whatever the cause, get it looked at by a professional.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:58 PM

You also don't mention your age.. once you get older.. sometimes you're just SOL.

You might try one of the Infinity Saddles - it puts the pressure in a different place than traditional bike saddles.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:00 PM

Nearly 50 so too young for old guy stuff, or maybe not. It was better today and I stopped the ride to avoid more problems. Doesn't feel like one of the those you can ignore and keep going. Plan for now is to wait a few more days and try again.

I don't mind be sidelined by something for a bit but want to determine the cause and avoid it in the future. Would hate to be stuck with only running and no riding. In revisiting the weeks before it happened I have decided that maybe I irritated it when I was doing some work sitting on a hard flat bench for a while and sometimes sitting on a concrete floor legs straight out and leaning forward. It didn't bother at the time but when I rolled over over the sore spot on the saddle it sure let me know.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:03 PM

That Infinity Saddle looks a bit scary. I did ride a mountain bike saddle from Tioga for a while once, the spider web type. It was very comfortable and better than anything other than the SMPs I've been using. Might try to find one of those, problem with them is they have a short lifespan.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM

High hamstring tendinopathy

I believe that you have this. I have had this and it is essentially tendinitis at the top of the hamstring where it connects to your hip. You can read some articles on this such as the one below to see if it is consistent w your issue:

https://www.sports-health.com/sports...g-tendinopathy

See you tube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9ACBt3Tqs

I had this and the cure is eccentric hamstring curls. You can do these on a hamstring machine or on a swiss ball though you can do a lot more weight on a hamstring machine.

PM me if you want more info and I can get you some links to exercises if you wish.

Alan
Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I believe that you have this. I have had this and it is essentially tendinitis at the top of the hamstring where it connects to your hip. You can read some articles on this such as the one below to see if it is consistent w your issue:

https://www.sports-health.com/sports...g-tendinopathy

See you tube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9ACBt3Tqs

I had this and the cure is eccentric hamstring curls. You can do these on a hamstring machine or on a swiss ball though you can do a lot more weight on a hamstring machine.

PM me if you want more info and I can get you some links to exercises if you wish.

Alan
I will study that and get back to you. Thanks for tip.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Two thoughts...

1.) ice it, ice it and then ice it some more

2.) hamstring stretches, then ice it...

Good luck!