Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2020, 07:42 AM

I wonder how you even tighten that straight, zero offset stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
In contrast, if you need a short or zero length stem, there’s the one from Analog Cycles:

At least it has a removable face plate! Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

No setback seatpost, saddle looks forward too..Guy MUST be way flexible with that kinda drop. maybe he's got teeny femurs for his height. I wonder if he's a 'ride small bike cuz it's stiffer/lighter', type BS? Bet a bigger frame would fit him but a lot of euro pros look down on 'bike fits'...
Old 01-28-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Doesn't the UCI have a 5cm rule, something like the handle bar drops must be no further than 5cm forward of the front axel?

Maybe he has been rewarded with an exemption being 6'4''?
Yes, according to UCI regulation 1.3.022, the handlebars can be no more than 5cm ahead of the front axle. The only morphological exception for handlebars in the regulations is for handlebar extensions used for road time trials and certain track events (i.e. aerobars). But, the UCI regularly makes up rules as they go along, so maybe some ad hoc exception was granted to this rider.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:31 AM

In the early days of mountain bikes long stems were quite common (many bikes of these days had short wheelbases and slack head angles, leading to short top tubes). I'm only 5' 7", but I regularly used 13-14cm stems, and I've seen stems as long as 170mm on MTBs.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
No setback seatpost, saddle looks forward too..Guy MUST be way flexible with that kinda drop. maybe he's got teeny femurs for his height. I wonder if he's a 'ride small bike cuz it's stiffer/lighter', type BS? Bet a bigger frame would fit him but a lot of euro pros look down on 'bike fits'...
In the article the rider says he wanted a size 63cm but at the time Bianchi sent the team bikes they only had 61cm available.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
From an SF Bay CL listing years ago:

Ibis titanium stem--long as a cat's leg
Date: 2003-06-30, 11:46PM PDT
Thanks for the laugh. I hadn't seen that before.

Phillips bought the stem from an eBay seller in Shenzhen, China: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1-8-CHO...m/183899269549. Trusting a 190mm stem made in some factory in China? Brave man.

The seller's eBay page doesn't quite fill me with confidence.

Quote:
Return policy
1. Our return policy is backed by a 100% money back guarantee.
2. Returning Items: All returned merchandise must be in original condition.
The customer is responsible for paying for return shipping should they decide to return the product.
If an item proves to be defective within the 15-day return policy or is shipped incorrectly, we will be more than happy to cover the return shipping to have the item replaced or credited to you.
If an item you received is defective, we will certainly replace the item with a new one, We will ship the replacement product to you at our cost, and use every good measure to ensure that the replacement order is processed quickly.

About us

1Professional engaged in the bicycle for 10 years.
2 Our focus on bicycle parts. All aspects of the bicycle products.
In my here you can buy is really good product of bicycle.
Wholesale please contact.

Contact us

1. Please email me through "MY MESSAGES" or "Ask Seller Questions" if you have any questions, we will response you within 48 hours.
2. We are a professional seller with a factory in China, supplying lots of cool and new products for men and women.

Last edited by fiamme red; 01-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
From an SF Bay CL listing years ago:

Ibis titanium stem--long as a cat's leg
Date: 2003-06-30, 11:46PM PDT

I was out riding with my buddies John and Roger--nothing special just another headlands loop, when John turns to me and says, "damn dude that stem is as long as a cat's leg". This being a fairly weird thing to say, even for John, I figure a follow up question is in order. "Uhm, I didn't know you had a cat?".

"Oh sure, I just love cats. I get a couple new ones every month."

I'm starting to worry as I've been to John's house and haven't really noticed any cats hanging around. "Man that's like 24 cats a year, where do you keep 'em all?"

Meanwhile Roger sensing that we're not paying attention takes a flyer off the front as we hit the flat spot on the Conzelman climb. John takes off after him.

I'm thinkin', "Dudes been eatin' his cats, gotta be."

By this time Roger and John have put 100 feet into me and I'm still thinking, "What's a cat taste like?" When I decide it's either time to bridge up or time to call the SPCA.

Facts, I need more facts! They've just turned left past the tree at the fork, gets a bit steeper here. It's now or never. I'm starting to come back a bit, yanking on the bars, "hey this stem is nice, bit long though.... long as a cat's leg". Coming round the bend past the 15 mph sign and it's time to kick, but it's not enough and they still have 5-10 seconds over the top and I'm completely cooked.

"DO IT FOR THE KITTIES. MUST SAVE THE KITTIES!"

Push it over into the big ring and down the back we come. I'm ready now. I'm an avenging silver bullet. Unstoppable. Garg look out for the bunnies crossing the road. It's not cool to bisect a bunny while trying to rid the world of cat eaters.

At last I'm on Roger's wheel, I am officially, completely cooked. I come around next to John. "Where the hell do you get off eating all those cats?", I gasp.

John, perplexed, just points to his jersey. SPCA Cycling Team. He volunteers nursing sick cats back to health ... about 2 a month.

Which leads us to this fabulous 130 mm (1 cat leg) / 26mm clamp diameter / ibis titanium road stem. 150.00.

It really is quite beautiful.
This is the best thing I’ve seen in a long time!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:23 AM

Wow.....as a tallish (6'3) person who isn't particularly flexible and still regularly runs 130 stems I could see a Pro running 140/150 but that setup is just nuts. But then again, he's riding in the TDU and we're not, so I'll just shut up
Old 01-28-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I wonder how you even tighten that straight, zero offset stem.
Look closely, both pictures show the use of a threaded headset.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Like to know what his F/R weight distribution is on the bike and how he handles descents and turns that progressively get tighter.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:13 AM

Looks comfy.............
Old 01-28-2020, 12:10 PM

Yah it only seems to look ridiculous till he gets on the bike?

The pictures don't look that crazy, he's even riding in the drops.

It is pretty darn ridiculous that a pro team even if they are continental can't get him the 63cm frame if that's what would make for a better fit.

Safety of that stem is another matter.. can the bike handle it, and is it really that safe to bet your pro career on a random stem guy from eBay?
Old 01-28-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Like to know what his F/R weight distribution is on the bike and how he handles descents and turns that progressively get tighter.
While you can't get an exact F/R weight distribution from looking at a photo, the photos do make it appear as if his C/G is just ahead of bottom bracket, or about 40/60 front/rear, or maybe even 45/55. That's pretty normal for a road bike.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:38 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yah it only seems to look ridiculous till he gets on the bike?

The pictures don't look that crazy, he's even riding in the drops.

It is pretty darn ridiculous that a pro team even if they are continental can't get him the 63cm frame if that's what would make for a better fit.

Safety of that stem is another matter.. can the bike handle it, and is it really that safe to bet your pro career on a random stem guy from eBay?
Pro continental is often done on a very very tight budget.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Pro continental is often done on a very very tight budget.
This would seem to require such a low budget they can't even afford to walk into a local Bianchi dealer and order the correct size vs getting the discounted ones in the wrong sizes through the sponsor chain... sure, but that's kind of mind blowing too.

It's not like putting him on the correct size bike required them to buy everyone else a new bike.