Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Administrator

OT: Vintage (or current) Audio part 9: CD/CD-SACD players

Thinking of adding one to one of my set ups that doesn't currently have one in the mix. Any units you are really enjoying or have enjoyed in the past?

Thanks!
W.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:25 PM

In my main system I have my dad's old Philips LHH 500, which had an early 1990s differential implementation of a bitstream DAC with 6 dB lower noise floor. Kind of unique. Has a Philips CDM transport inside a heavy-ass chassis (weighs 35-40 lbs.) with single-ended and balanced analog outs plus coax/SPDIF and Toslink digital outs, built like a tank and fairly reliable, occasionally needs new belts but otherwise keeps on ticking. I've replaced some power supply caps due to age, also socketed the op-amps and yanked the stock 5534s in favor of some [sadly discontinued] LME49990s. Some other things I could do to it (modern low jitter clock replacement) but it sounds pretty darn good as is.

Also have a Sony CDP 750 (TDA1541 DAC) that I've modded a good bit. It sits in the living room system.

There are plenty of cheap CD players in thrift shops. They are garbage for the most part, but you may occasionally run across one with a decent older multibit DAC that's worth picking up. Otherwise, audio classifieds should have plenty of options as people continue to abandon discs and adopt ripping and/or streaming services. Anything with a good DAC (be it Wolfson, Burr Brown PCM series, Philips TDA series, whatever) mated to a transport that isn't reputed to be a ticking time bomb should do the job.

SACD... le sigh. I bought one of the Philips SACD 1000 players on closeout in the early 2000s, the ones that had the self-destructing Furore chips that would inevitably turn approximately 100% of them into boat anchors. Mine was repaired once by the factory, and still has some life in it, but it sits packed away in a closet until I can implement some of the power supply improvements that supposedly eliminate some offending oscillations. I might die before I get around to that, because today I have DSD-capable DACs and the ability to rip SACDs. I doubt if I'll bother with another dedicated SACD spinner for the limited number of discs I have in that format.

Nowadays I have most of my CDs & all of my SACDs ripped to FLAC or DSD and just send them to a DAC using Foobar software. With the app on my phone to control Foobar, I don't have to get up to "swap discs." Today I would not spend serious money on a disc spinner. I'd put it into a quality modern standalone DAC, or upgrading my turntable or preamp, or bike stuff, or...
Old 01-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Registered (ab)User

On the one hand, I think ScottW has the right idea: Don't spend money on a Shiny Disc Spinner

...unless you already have a healthy collection of Shiny Discs. But even then, a Shiny Disc Reader (plus a storage array, hi-rez codec, and DAC du jour) is probably a better investment.

On the other hand, I completely get how the entire experience of putting a Shiny Disc into the Shiny Disc Spinner when you want to listen to music is totally different from whipping out your SmartPhone or firing up your laptop. So I commiserate.

It all kinda comes down to what's in your Shiny Disc collection? If you honestly own enough SACDs and DVD-As (along with CDs and Blu-Rays and whatever else) to warrant a genuinely "Universal" Shiny Disc Spinner then it's hard to beat an Oppo BDP-105. Sadly, they're only available used these days.

If you don't need the DVD-A part, a new Sony UBP-X1100ES is reasonably badass.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 01-28-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Corrected typo in Sony model #. Thanks kohagan!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:22 PM

I have the Parasound Halo D3 player.. it's an odd ball being silver while the rest of my stuff is black.. but I don't care.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 PM

Some audio scribes swear by early Sony PlayStations.
I have a Marantz 8004 SACD and a Marantz 4003 changer. And a lot of shiny discs.

Last edited by Plum Hill; 01-27-2020 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-27-2020, 08:21 PM

I have a very nice naim system (intergrated amp and cd player + a/d stuff) I would be willing to part with.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:47 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I have an Audio Dynamics CD-2000E and it's been a great player. I also have a newer Onkyo C-7030 and IMO there's not a huge difference between the two.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:01 PM

For CD players, anything with the discontinued Phillips CD Pro 2 transport is gold:

https://encosystems.net/product/philips-cd-pro-2/

The best in quality and durability in a transport. Originally made for juke boxes etc.

My favorite CD player using that transport is the discontinued Bel Canto CD2. Still a great pickup when they come up used in good condition. Bel Canto is local enough to my neighborhood that I can find them locally on occasion.

http://www.belcantodesign.com/home/eone/archive/cd2/
Old 01-27-2020, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I have a very nice naim system (intergrated amp and cd player + a/d stuff) I would be willing to part with.

I hear those are better than average.

W.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info!

I learn new stuff everyday here, love this place.

W.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:44 AM

Are you looking for "vintage" (in some sense of "vintage")? I'm enjoying a relatively inexpensive, but fairly recent (last year's model), Cambridge Audio player. My old CD player is not better. NAD and Marantz have decent models for a few hundred bucks too (and all three from vendors that will take them back if they don't work for you).

You can find all sorts of things on the used market, but, then, there's always the question of condition, among other things.

And . . . there's the high-end market, but that's another can of worms (and I don't see why you'd open it without a fair bit of in-person, off-interweb exploration).
Old 01-28-2020, 07:19 AM

I started with a Sony CDP-101, one of the first players available in the US back in 1983. The only other one was made by Philips and not as common. Back then, I felt I was living in the future. I had to order most CDs from England as nearly nothing was being offered on this side of the pond. When local shops did start offering CDs, in their own area, I mostly found I was alone when browsing the racks. I was rarely an early adopter of tech but knew CDs were better than LPs even before they went up for sale. Many early releases belied that opinion but the best ones proved the potential of the medium.

Fast forward to now, I am using an Oppo BDP-103. The state of CD sales being what they are, Oppo has stopped production of all disk players. I know many copy their CDs to a server or stream them but, as I have about 800 CDs, I prefer the old fashioned method of picking what I want to hear and actually placing it in the tray. It still seems so much better than cleaning vinyl and being put off but the clicks and pops that go along with dragging a needle over plastic. Why that medium continues to hang on is beyond me.

Tim
Old 01-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Kind of OK

An old Oppo DVD player. Those were well known for their audio quality. I have one in the store room that I haven't used since I ripped all my CDs to FLAC and purchased a DAC. I'd trade it for bike parts.
I'm all about access and convenience as well as quality when it comes to music.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I hear those are better than average.

W.
I would agree .
Old 01-28-2020, 08:43 AM

IM so off with this subject...

Went to check out nad to see what they have now a days (im off, im from the time when they offered CD quality sound recording in cassette tapes), NAD talkd about DAC??? to me DAC is a Digital Analog Convertor/chip but clearly is not that, what do the DAC means?