Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 01:07 PM

If UCI wants in on this, I think it would make sense for them to approach it from the road angle. Paris Roubaix is the biggest one day race and is built around cobbles which are functionally in the "gravel" world. Strade Bianche is a straight up gravel race. They've put some dirt roads into grand tours.

If they want to do gravel, they should stick to their wheelhouse and push for more dirt in road races, rather than trying to take up the marathon model of most grassroots gravel.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:54 PM

Is it possible that they are attempting to create a UCI gravel calendar to trap the pros who are now dabbling in unsanctioned races? “You have a choice of either racing UCI gravel for points along w the World Tour road calendar, or neither.”
Old 01-27-2020, 02:22 PM

I see this as mostly an attempted money grab by the UCI. They see money starting to go into gravel racing, and they want to control the races to grab as much of that money as they can.

We've seen that here in the US with USA Cycling. In the US, bike racing was primarily a niche sport during the 2nd half of the 20th century, with very little money coming into the sport. The only time that big money sponsors were interested in cycling (and other niche sports) was during the Olympics. The Olympics was only open to amateurs, and since the US Cycling Federation controlled amateur cycling, they had the benefit of Olympic sponsorship moneys. Another, much smaller (and less well funded) organization called USPRO managed professional racing during this time. USCF gave it little mind, since there was so little money to be siphoned off from USPRO.

During the late 20th century, a new bike racing discipline emerged, Mountain Bike racing. This started as a grass roots effort, but in order to organize it on a national level, the National Off Road Bicycle Assocation was formed. NORBA maintained as much of a grass roots approach as was possible for an organization of its size, and maintained a separation from the more bureaucratic USCF. But in the early 1990's it was announced that MTB racing was going to be added to the Olympics. Since this meant more sponsor money available to be siphoned off by a national organizing body, the first move by USCF was to buy out NORBA. The merger of these organizations was named USA Cycling.

A short time later, it was announced that professional cyclists would be allowed into the Olympics. With the prospects of losing their monopoly on Olympic cycling sponsorship money, USAC immediately moved to buy out USPRO. USPRO then fell under the umbrella of USAC.

USAC may ignore gravel racing for a while, but as soon as it becomes apparent that there is a serious amount of money available to be siphoned off, you know USAC will try wrangle to control gravel racing in the US.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Is it possible that they are attempting to create a UCI gravel calendar to trap the pros who are now dabbling in unsanctioned races? “You have a choice of either racing UCI gravel for points along w the World Tour road calendar, or neither.”
When I started racing, the USCF had a rule that prohibited its members from participating in non-USCF sanctioned racing. This was obviously an attempt to maintain a monopoly on US racing. But that attempt failed, and several competing organizations were founded to sanction races in the US (these organizations did not prohibit its members from doing other races). In the face of possibly losing members entirely who might have want to participate in these other races, USCF relented, and now allows their members to race in non-USCF events.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. But if there is money to be made the UCI will try to figure out a way....

UCI: "Hey guys, what if we make it so that everyone needs a license for a Grinduro ride, just for fun?"
Old 01-27-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Well it serves them right for going on Instagram and looking like they're having fun.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:24 PM

Kinda my ballpark feelings.

https://dirttanbikeclub.com/2020/01/...egins-to-suck/
Old 01-28-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I'd say gravel racing is past the grassroots stage. LifeTime Fitness has been acquiring events including Dirty Kanza.
This brought about the death of grassroots way before the UCI stepped-in.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:08 PM

This discussion feels somewhat reminiscent to what happened to the Red Hook Crit series. What started off as a uniquely low barrier way for people with no sponsors/teams etc. to get a chance to race in a low stakes environment turned into an event with a much higher bar for entry as sponsored pros started using it as off season training (I can't speak to how prevalent pros partaking in gravel races is). The series grew at an apparently unsustainable rate and was then cancelled in 2019 not due to lack of interest but because the level of funding couldn't support the more professional path the organizers were trying to take. Sometimes things don't need to grow just for the sake of growth.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:25 AM

In my area, gravel has already jumped the shark with all the usual suspects (promoters) taking a break from color runs and spartan races and charging $200 or so for an event with the appearance of history that randomly appears and features coffee with Adrea Tafi for the first 100 registrants
Old 01-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
The UCI hinted at organizing a gravel world championship or something like that.

Lachlan Morton responded:
"I guess it's almost not for me to say...That's not because I don't want to comment on it, but that I don't think gravel racing belongs to us. I think as far as the racing element goes, it's kind of more of a grassroots movement, and I think anyone who's in that scene would tell you that they already have a world championships in the Dirty Kanza,"
"I'm sure the UCI are aware that they have to adapt. But the reality is that gravel riding is just bike riding," he said. "You don't need a gravel bike, you don't need disc brakes; you just go ride your bike on a dirt road and you can call it whatever you want. And I think the reason events like Dirty Kanza are so successful is that they're mass participation events," added Morton. "Anyone can come and line up, and you get to the end of the race and you can shoot **** with the person who finished six hours behind you because you've had a shared experience. I find it hard to imagine a UCI event where they're going to let anyone line up."
What he said. AND the bike maker/marketeers have gotten into the swing with another 'purpose driven' bike..Good for the consumer, I guess..

Same thing happened to MTB..it'll happen to 'Groad riding/racing as well.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
This discussion feels somewhat reminiscent to what happened to the Red Hook Crit series. What started off as a uniquely low barrier way for people with no sponsors/teams etc. to get a chance to race in a low stakes environment turned into an event with a much higher bar for entry as sponsored pros started using it as off season training (I can't speak to how prevalent pros partaking in gravel races is). The series grew at an apparently unsustainable rate and was then cancelled in 2019 not due to lack of interest but because the level of funding couldn't support the more professional path the organizers were trying to take. Sometimes things don't need to grow just for the sake of growth.
Red Hook was born in urban areas during the great recession--a time when it was much more affordable for events to take place in those locations. Over the next 10 years, Red Hook wasn't the only thing that was growing, putting the financial squeeze on everything happening in those cities.

One advantage of gravel is that it takes place in more remote areas, of which there are no shortage, helping to keep the costs more manageable long-term.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:38 AM

Isn't this sort of deja vu of what happened with mountain biking? Maybe not entirely the same, but similar IMHO.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What he said. AND the bike maker/marketeers have gotten into the swing with another 'purpose driven' bike..Good for the consumer, I guess..
Why are you so anti gravel bike? What's wrong with having a purpose-built bike? Serious questions btw