Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 AM

UCI gravel WC?

The UCI hinted at organizing a gravel world championship or something like that.

Lachlan Morton responded:
"I guess it's almost not for me to say...That's not because I don't want to comment on it, but that I don't think gravel racing belongs to us. I think as far as the racing element goes, it's kind of more of a grassroots movement, and I think anyone who's in that scene would tell you that they already have a world championships in the Dirty Kanza,"
"I'm sure the UCI are aware that they have to adapt. But the reality is that gravel riding is just bike riding," he said. "You don't need a gravel bike, you don't need disc brakes; you just go ride your bike on a dirt road and you can call it whatever you want. And I think the reason events like Dirty Kanza are so successful is that they're mass participation events," added Morton. "Anyone can come and line up, and you get to the end of the race and you can shoot **** with the person who finished six hours behind you because you've had a shared experience. I find it hard to imagine a UCI event where they're going to let anyone line up."

Instagram
Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 AM
il Curmudgeoni

The UCI sees the possibility of $ and that seems to be all that they care about.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 AM

That gravel is a grassroots thing matters here. It is entirely at odds with a governing body assuming ownership of a championship event for it.
Such a thing would have to be a bland and rigid version of what gravel currently is.

I would even go so far as to say that racing gravel is a strange idea in general.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 01-27-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
The UCI sees the possibility of $ and that seems to be all that they care about.
The major revenue generator for the UCI is the annual world championships they organize for the disciplines they oversee. They surely see the opportunity to both extend their oversight and accrue some additional revenues.

Have a look into the race between the UCI and the FIM (governing body of motorcycle racing) over who will get to over see the growing discipline of E-Bike racing. Lots at stake.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:20 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
That gravel is a grassroots thing matters here. It is entirely at odds with a governing body assuming ownership of a championship event for it.
Such a thing would have to be a bland and rigid version of what gravel currently is.

I would even go so far as to say that racing gravel is a strange idea in general.
I wholeheartedly agree. But if there is money to be made the UCI will try to figure out a way....
Old 01-27-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
The major revenue generator for the UCI is the annual world championships they organize for the disciplines they oversee. They surely see the opportunity to both extend their oversight and accrue some additional revenues.

Have a look into the race between the UCI and the FIM (governing body of motorcycle racing) over who will get to over see the growing discipline of E-Bike racing. Lots at stake.

I know nothing about this and had no idea it was even a thing but it seems weird to me that people want to race bikes that have tiny electric motors when options like motorized dirt bikes exist. Does anyone have experience with this that might shed some light on my confusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 AM

As much of a fan of pro racing as I am, I can’t think of anything worse than this idea. It is, as mentioned, grassroots. More competitive riders getting into it won’t make it better. It’ll make it worse.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I know nothing about this and had no idea it was even a thing but it seems weird to me that people want to race bikes that have tiny electric motors when options like motorized dirt bikes exist. Does anyone have experience with this that might shed some light on my confusion?

Apparently Abasalon won the first edition...

I didn't even know that it was a thing, until the Red Bull TV MTB guys mentioned it.

edit: I was wrong. He partook in the event, but didn't win

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hat...-world-titles/
Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the link. The race summary certainly highlighted some differences in the race course and ability to handle the bike that I didn’t consider, relative to non-powered MTB racing. It makes me wonder if at some point we will see the same sort of thing for other athletic events as machine-human interfaces continue to develop and become mainstream?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
As much of a fan of pro racing as I am, I can’t think of anything worse than this idea. It is, as mentioned, grassroots. More competitive riders getting into it won’t make it better. It’ll make it worse.
I'd say gravel racing is past the grassroots stage. LifeTime Fitness has been acquiring events including Dirty Kanza.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Well, at least one US government agency has determined that e-bikes are electric motorcycles, so it only makes sense that FIM governs e-bike racing.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.Xi8Nc03-i9I
Old 01-27-2020, 10:44 AM
Classics Fan

This is the same organization that feels the need to constantly tweak its own regulations on the minutiae of saddle angles, sock height, and TT aero bar elbow rests.

My opinion of them is already so low that this ham-handed power grab does not lower it any further, it only confirms it.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I'd say gravel racing is past the grassroots stage. LifeTime Fitness has been acquiring events including Dirty Kanza.
I'm not sure I agree with that. There are something like 700 rides on the calendar in the US alone. Lifetime owns what, three of them? And their focus is almost entirely on keeping the grassroots feel while simultaneously using their resources to provide a top notch event. They make very little money directly from their races from what I understand.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Thanks for the link. The race summary certainly highlighted some differences in the race course and ability to handle the bike that I didn’t consider, relative to non-powered MTB racing. It makes me wonder if at some point we will see the same sort of thing for other athletic events as machine-human interfaces continue to develop and become mainstream?
I tend to doubt it. I can't think of any other sport where it has happened - even in sports that have more high tech equipment than cycling. For example, look at America's Cup yacht racing. The boats currently used have massive amounts of R&D behind them, and they have every imaginable telemetrics (up to the second wind measurements, gps speed and course tracking, etc.). The boats currently used have articulated "air foil" section rigid wings instead of sails, and literally "fly" above the water on hydrofoil wings. And yet - they are not allowed to use any type of stored energy to operate the boat. Propulsion can only come from the wind, and all the energy to control the boat (steering, setting and trimming sails, and the raising and adjusting the hydrofoils that lift the boat out of the water) can only come from human muscle power.

Heck, even biathlon (skiing and shooting) aren't allowed to use automatic rifles - the rifles used must be loaded and cocked by hand.

The only exception I can think of to rule of using only human power in Olympic sports is cycling, where batteries and electric motors are allowed to operate shifting mechanisms - but I am of the opinion even these should be banned to maintain the essence of human powered sport.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:59 PM

I would hope that with the exception of a few really large events, that UCI stays out. Gravel races attract all kinds of cyclists, some that want to crush their competition, and some that just want to enjoy the countryside and a beer afterwards. And a bunch in between. I did one event where L*nce raced with 600 other riders. In the end only a few dozen really competed for the win and he got second. Let those guys stage at the front and everyone else behind who don't have illusions of grandeur.

The hard core grinders, not the guys who get on a gravel bike a few weekends a year, usually have a setup that UCI wouldn't like. Every October there's a Race Across Texas from Texarkana to Tucumcari. Most are on curved flat bars with aerobars.