Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Thoughts on the Gorilla Monsoon?

Hi, could yall help?

I am Looking for a all rounder, with gravel, tour, utility focus. It would see occasional single track too, but i have another bike for that. It Needs to be able to handle racks and loads, and pull kid trailers, which my other current bike cannot.
2.2 tires minimum.
I have had several bikes over the years and my perspective with those steers me towards a high volume tire road/gravel bike.

Though I do not understand the branding, I love the look and stated purpose of the all-city gorilla monsoon, but have not found one locally to ride. I would be in for a frameset as well and building it up as i do not like the kit on the complete bike. I like the looks and paint though, I hope it goes beyond that.

Has anyone here ridden one and could give some feedback?
I am worried about toe overlap, when looking at wheelbase - chainstay length, and bb drop there seems like there will be more room then there was on my old 56 cross check. 3/4 of a inch-ish. (for more reference, i felt like my cross check was too twitchy, with too short a stack) It was more fussy in handling to ride off road than a trucker. Seems like the GM would be between the two.

Or should I just get a Long haul trucker frame and build it up with all my extra 26" mtb stuff i have around... I have ridden one in my size and liked it well enough, though it is really stiff unloaded which mine usually would be. Shorter stays would be nice too.

Does anyone know the weight either of these frames?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:36 PM

I thought this thread would be about professional wrestling.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:41 PM

forumite Wooly has a Gorilla Monsoon that is pretty sweet: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=233101

They might be able to give some impressions, but it sounds like what you're describing to do with the bike is what this bike was designed to do. I guess just check about your trailer and how that attaches with through-axles?

I think for overall rideability I'd pick the GM over the LHT. The geometry would be the primary selection for me in terms of fit and the slight nuance (or placebo) of a more modern steel tubing set would be my second factor. But I currently have neither bike and only had a LHT for a short time a while back.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I thought this thread would be about professional wrestling.
Like professional cycling, another in a long list of sports in which you can no longer believe....
Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Bicycle Quarterly did a full review/write-up a couple of issues ago. Might be worth trying to source one of those before you commit fully. I don’t recall which issue precisely, but could check my back issues.

I looked into the G-Monsoon when it came out to fill a similar niche, but opted for a Soma Wolverine instead. Been very happy with it so far! My experience with All-city in the past is that the tubing isn’t particularly lively, though that’s based on just one bike.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:55 PM

I haven't rode a Gorilla Monsoon but I own a Space Horse and have rode the Long Haul Trucker back to back with the Space Horse when I was shopping.

The build on the Gorilla Monsoon looks more expensive than the Space Horse but they aren't that far apart. They have the same tubing it looks like but one bike is 700c and one is 650b/27.5" and the Monsoon has a setup for a dropper post. (I Can't imagine using that personally?)

In terms of sportiness the LHT will be the least sporty of the 3 bikes, I would suspect the Monsoon is the highest performance of the 3. I would say with the stock builds the Space Horse is significantly faster/sportier than the LHT. Keep in mind all of these bikes are QBP products.

If/when I manage to kill my Space Horse I'd definitely look at at the Gorilla Monsoon as a replacement. These bikes are built very tough though.

I would agree with the idea that these bikes are not built "lively". Mine feels like a tank.. they are built to take a lot of abuse and carry a lot of weight. The LHT even more so!

edit: Looks like the Gorilla Monsoon has vertical dropouts. IIRC so does the LHT. My Space Horse has a semi-horizontal one but they got rid of that on newer ones so I guess they're all the same. I've never for a minute felt like building it up single speed so that makes sense to me.

Last edited by benb; 08-16-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Like professional cycling, another in a long list of sports in which you can no longer believe....
Once the show starts its full kayfabe as far as I'm concerned. If you're not marking out like everyone else in the crowd, why bother?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM

My buddy has a Surly Ogre and we call it the "monstrosity" in our circle. That bike does everything you can think of. It can be a loaded MTB, Loaded touring bike, 29er, 650b, SS, etc. I've never seen a bike with that much versatility.

He says the only downside is the weight. The Ogre is a TANK! He's running 700 x 55 tires on it right now.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:00 PM
n - 1

For what you’re wanting, I’d put a Salsa Fargo on the list as well. 29x2.4” clearance. All the rack mounts you want.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:28 PM

heres a pretty thorough video review of the GM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZG3-yqe4_k

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 08-16-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM

I really like my Fargo for something similar. It's done it all and has been fun throughout.

I'm semi-dreaming about something lighter weight that could still be used for commuting / bikepacking / gravel / touring, etc. and am really interested in the Lynskey Backroad. It seems to check all of the boxes for me and can be built up with 650b wheels, which would allow for up to a 2.1" tire. That would also have the added advantage of a higher rotational speed, which would help keep a dynamo fully powered at lower speeds. It's also on sale from their website right now for $1,100 for the frameset. It's very tempting.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:49 PM

Thanks everyone!
Yup, i'll add the fargo to the list. There is one an hour a way that i could go check out in my size.
I'll try to find an ogre i can ride too.

I have to admit i am a sucker for a classic diamond frame, which is part of the draw, but... only part of it.

Seems like a lot of the weight on this bike, and the fargo is the wheels. Wooly's looks like it got a 7 or so lb diet from the stock build.

I have to say, wheel weight makes a ton of difference. Going tubeless on my surly ICT was night and day. It also was more comfortable, had more traction, and was just more articulate all around. I would of kept it if now for the weight (i got it down to 34ish lbs hah) and the wide q. I did overall love the ICT by the way, but it was really the Q that was the issue, after time it flared up an old knee injury, and every hour i rode the darn thing i would be limping for a day, and in pain for several. I tried tons of set up changes, and it had to be the Q, which makes sense with my injury as well. Riding my classic mtb does not flare my knee up.

I went ahead and got the bicycle quarterly back issue with the GM review, I was sold as they have an article and test related to Q factor testing a bunch of things as well.

I'll check out the lynskey. Thanks for the heads up! I love Ti, my main bike is my fishlips toxic tuna Ti and its fantastic. That is probably just out of my reach for just a frame without fork though... Or i can just take longer to gather and build the thing.

The trucker would be my cheapest option so far, since i have everything else to set it up... which is tempting, but...
Old 08-16-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
heres a pretty thorough video review of the GM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZG3-yqe4_k
Thanks! It sounds good! sounds like the mix i am looking for.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 PM

I found another review.
https://www.adventurecycling.org/sit...%5FMeyer%2Epdf
Old 08-16-2019, 07:01 PM

https://rawlandcycles.com/products/ulv-frameset

ULV frameset?