Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 06:24 PM
2Retro4U

Mr. Sloane did a book on mountain biking in 1985. Problem of course was that he himself was not a mountain biker. So I helped him write it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sloane1a.jpg (91.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg sloane2a.jpg (47.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:58 PM

Okay, just finished 20 pull-ups, and chewed through a protein shake. The other shop that I was forgetting was Newington. I think the guy named, Sam was the one wearing the apron there.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:11 PM

I think I actually still own the Sloane book (3rd photo down). Will have to dig it out -- really, not much has changed since then.....
-- Dan
Old 03-22-2017, 07:11 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
The other shop that I was forgetting was Newington. I think the guy named, Sam was the one wearing the apron there.
That would be correct.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Peter, you are correct, Sam was at Suburban Cycles. What town was it located? I grew up in Middletown. Pedal Power was likely the shop that you purchased your Viscount. I had a friend on my HS rowing team who also purchased one of those Viscounts. Boy, oh boy was that thing light. I cut my teeth doing the New Britain criteriums, and of course, the Andre Raymond crit in Middletown.
Andy Raymond, around the 4th of July. Loved that race. The front straight was four lanes wide across the road while the back straight was like an alleyway. Technical, fun, great crowds.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
22 Chamberlain Highway
Kensington, CT

Who was Sam?
It was Bill and Keith who owned the place (then).
Sam Zeldner, if I have his last name correct. Owned Newington Bicycle.

I can still remember how excited Keith was when he took delivery of his Richard Sachs back in the mid-70's. It was black. I knew nothing about frame geometry back then but I remember him telling me the "seat angle was 75 degrees and the head angle 74 degrees" as if it meant something secret and magical (Hey; I was just a kid!). I just assumed the 1 degree separation must have been important!

I didn't buy my Viscount from Pedal Power-they were located next to Palmer Field at the time. I think the name of the shop was Wheel House. They were located on the north end of Main Street.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Sam Zeldner, if I have his last name correct. Owned Newington Bicycle.

I can still remember how excited Keith was when he took delivery of his Richard Sachs back in the mid-70's. It was black. I knew nothing about frame geometry back then but I remember him telling me the "seat angle was 75 degrees and the head angle 74 degrees" as if it meant something secret and magical (Hey; I was just a kid!). I just assumed the 1 degree separation must have been important!

I didn't buy my Viscount from Pedal Power-they were located next to Palmer Field at the time. I think the name of the shop was Wheel House. They were located on the north end of Main Street.
Sam Zeldner, that's the man. IIRC, he was banged up badly in a bike vs car. Really nice fellow.

Back in the day race machines were steep. Anything 73 degrees and shallower was a touring bike.

Wheel House! I purchased my first racing bicycle there. It was a Moto with a 531 sticker on the seat tube.

For training I used to bump along 9A from Middletown to Old Saybrook, jump into the Sound, and then dry off on the way home.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Boy, oh boy was that thing light. I cut my teeth doing the New Britain criteriums, and of course, the Andre Raymond crit in Middletown.
Wow does that bring back memories; I too began my racing career (grew up in Hartford) as an Intermediate doing those races! I remember well the Andy Raymond crit!! And of course the Travelers Criterium in downtown Hartford around Bushnell Park (that was a very big crit in its heyday; remember the Stetina brothers appearances), which is where I first saw a bike race as a 8 y.o. and was totally entranced. I raced for the Cannondale team sponsored by Newington Bike in the early 80s.

Last edited by wgp; 03-23-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM
ZhugeLiang

When I was a kid growing up, the first thing I do when I step into a library is to check out their collection of books on cycling. There are simply too many books written and published on this subject matter to list all of them but one thing is for sure, they are still churning out "new" books every day, whether they are breaking new grounds or repeating more or less the same stuff...I still think it's very good thing, different pals approach the subject from a different perspective or context, it's good to cover all our bases and captured their hearts and imagination whenever we can. You never know..a 10-year-old somewhere might be drooling over with eyes or mouth wide open, looking at a cycling book in the corner of a library or a bookstore right this minute...

The New and the Old

Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Weisan drops the mother-load. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 AM

I've got a 1972 edition of Richard's.
From the Accessories section:
Helmet - Sure - Also, full leathers, boots....

Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM

A year ago I bought a bike at Pedal Power in Middletown, I hadn't been back there since the Firecracker Criteriums in the mid 80's. That great old course brought back memories.