Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2024, 12:33 PM

Tandem riders: creating a full tandem crankset w/SRAM Red 10spd cranks??

Might sound farfetched, but...am thinking of picking up some 10 speed sets in order to create a tandem setup (3 crank sets needed, essentially.)

Drivetrain is 10 speed Shimano 105. Am also running a Gates belt.

Qustion: is this nuts? Or could it work?

Also, I'm not sure if the crank would be rated for that kind of weight, unlike, say, a Lightning tandem-specific set.

Opinions welcome.
Old 08-12-2024, 01:33 PM

It might work but you would have to helicoil one or two crank arms to reverse the pedal threads. I did that with some Shimano Ultegra cranks and its been working fine for many years. Tandem cranks are same as normal cranks as far as weight rating.
Old 08-12-2024, 01:39 PM

Where there is a will there is a way. Our first CoMo tandem had Mavic road cranks that CoMo modified from 3 cranksets. But I'm not sure if I would want to modify carbon crank pedal inserts.....and am not aware of anyone having done it.

My recommendation.....maybe*. CoMo sells this https://co-motion.com/collections/st...-tandem-cranks

We upgraded our CoMo travel tandem to the SLK 11s carbon set from CoMo and it's perfect with Campy 12.

*Call CoMo to see if this set will work with 10 spd chain.
Old 08-12-2024, 03:26 PM

This is another option. You can select crank lengths.

https://www.applemanbicycles.com/sho...ndem-crankset/
Old 08-12-2024, 03:47 PM

ahh, pedal thread conundrum.

yeah, hadn't thought thru that one.

deluz: i'm probably headed there next. they are really slick. i posted a thread on that brand the other day, asking if anyone uses them.

my ultimate goal was weight savings setup, but lightning seems to be outta that biz (or outta biz in general? not to mention outta this world on price....) and am also looking to shorten the captain 2x4's on there now, aka 175's.

Last edited by 54ny77; 08-12-2024 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
ahh, pedal thread conundrum.

yeah, hadn't thought thru that one.

deluz: i'm probably headed there next. they are really slick. i posted a thread on that brand the other day, asking if anyone uses them.

my ultimate goal was weight savings setup, but lightning seems to be outta that biz (or outta biz in general? not to mention outta this world on price....) and am also looking to shorten the captain 2x4's on there now, aka 175's.
Appleman has made tandem cranks and will customize the length. I thought about it for a second before I realized how expensive it would be to do a triple setup.. I wanted to do custom length for me and then do two stoker setups with his fitting crankarms so I could change the crankarm lengths for my stokers without too much trouble.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:02 AM

We have a tandem with 10spd Shimano on it with Shimano road cranks, 130 bcd with same side drive, Gates belt stuffed in there too, all on the drive side. Crossover drive will require a tandem specific crankset due to the pedal threading. I have McGyvered solutions in the past with only marginal, temporary, success and have learned it's not worth it.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:22 AM

I have always wanted a sub-compact triple.
Right now we have FSA Gossamer with 28/39/50.
I would like something like 26/36/48.
I wonder if Apple man could do this.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:47 AM

This was an interesting site I came across. He solves fitment issues with clever machining on alu. cranks.

https://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/tandem.html
Old 08-13-2024, 09:54 AM

And of course there's DaVinci, which is very nice.

No idea on the weights though.

https://www.davincitandems.com/components/
Old 08-13-2024, 10:03 AM

Call Mel at Tandems East: https://tandemseast.com/. He's very knowledgeable and usually has a great inventory of all things tandem (including cranks). You'll save yourself the time and hassle of modifying single bike cranks to make them work on your tandem.

Greg
Old 08-13-2024, 11:14 AM

Thanks Greg yeah Mel can get me Davinci and FSA stuff (we spoke) but FSA including the new SLK is 170 stoker /175 captain only. Those lengths suck, I hate the 175 that are on my tandem now (Gossamer). Feels like I'm pedaling 2 giant wind turbine blades....

Am simply gonna revisit the intended weight savings goal on crank and instead go for correct sizing. Weight savings will have to come from elsewhere (wheels, etc).

And yes, Mel is the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Call Mel at Tandems East: https://tandemseast.com/. He's very knowledgeable and usually has a great inventory of all things tandem (including cranks). You'll save yourself the time and hassle of modifying single bike cranks to make them work on your tandem.

Greg