Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 AM

Didn't read all the posts TLDR...

But... I don't see tubulars as a throw back to a by gone era. Modern deep dish carbon clinchers? Yuk! If I'm gonna spend big bucks on light weight and VERY stiff carbon wheels they are going to be tubular.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Didn't read all the posts TLDR...

But... I don't see tubulars as a throw back to a by gone era. Modern deep dish carbon clinchers? Yuk! If I'm gonna spend big bucks on light weight and VERY stiff carbon wheels they are going to be tubular.
I know everyone's experiences are different, but locally here in NYC I think the percentage of tubulars in races has declined notably in the past 5+ years - particularly due to the fact that carbon clinchers have become more viable. Maybe that is unique to this areas as most racers are apartment dwellers like me and being creative about when and where to glue tubulars gets old.

I still race on carbon tubulars but am strongly considering buying some carbon clinchers and just using those all the time. I know others are very proficient at changing tubulars in the event of a flat but not me (for all other posters, please feel free to direct your anger at me for my shortcomings), so my non-racing miles are almost always on clinchers.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 AM
Randomhead

I guess we need to process this thread all over again. I think I might still have some (4?) unused Clement Criterium Setas left over from 1980. Definitely need to Kondo those things. Yes, I'm an uncultured slob and too lazy to glue tires on. I still have a pro-tubular bias left over from before you could get decent clinchers, but as soon as I could buy clinchers that would fit on my race bike, I started training on them. Then switch for races.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:34 AM

after this thread has seasoned more, and so have my tubulars, i have to say, i still prefer tubulars. On the day to day they are simply less work. if i only got to own one set of wheels, im not sure id choose tubulars, but maybe.

however, given the choices, i roll out on tubulars nearly every ride. they are more fuss free and feel better.

I prefer them to clinchers, but i have not tried this tubeless voodoo nonsense. of course you cats talk about the gluing, and i hear about guys blowing tires and spewing sludge and all that jazz, hows that different? gluing is actually really easy, it just takes time. like most things in life.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
after this thread has seasoned more, and so have my tubulars, i have to say, i still prefer tubulars. On the day to day they are simply less work. if i only got to own one set of wheels, im not sure id choose tubulars, but maybe.

however, given the choices, i roll out on tubulars nearly every ride. they are more fuss free and feel better.

I prefer them to clinchers, but i have not tried this tubeless voodoo nonsense. of course you cats talk about the gluing, and i hear about guys blowing tires and spewing sludge and all that jazz, hows that different? gluing is actually really easy, it just takes time. like most things in life.
Reality, what a concept. I sold my last set of clinchers about 18 months ago..have no desire to ever own any clincher again..
Old 02-22-2019, 09:51 AM

I'd love to ride tubbies again, but there is some much crap from construction on the roads I couldn't afford to do so.

I sold a wonderful pair the Hyperons, and a set with Record hubs with Reflex rims. Oh well...now it's Bora, Shamals, Zondas, and Chorus with Open Pros.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
I'd love to ride tubbies again, but there is some much crap from construction on the roads I couldn't afford to do so.

I sold a wonderful pair the Hyperons, and a set with Record hubs with Reflex rims. Oh well...now it's Bora, Shamals, Zondas, and Chorus with Open Pros.
i have fully found the opposite to be true. i have now been on tubulars for 2 seasons with literally zero flats (i did however somehow make it to within 30ft of home when one tire finally wore thin). in that time i have changed or helped change tires on several of my riding buddies rigs due to crappy roads, which are everywhere, because we dont fix things in this country. I have changed my wifes commuter tires, i have sat roadside while folks change their michelins, or GP4000s, or you name it.

i guess my experience is that tubulars dont flat as often, dont require nearly as much weekly or monthly care, and even come with the bonus of a better and lighter ride.

im not trying to convince anyone to ride tubular, i really dont care if folks choose more work. but sell me your wheels cheap because nobody wants them please.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM

ooooop

Last edited by Mzilliox; 02-22-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:

im not trying to convince anyone to ride tubular, i really dont care if folks choose more work. but sell me your wheels cheap because nobody wants them please.
Yes!

I've got both tubulars and clinchers and the only time I really don't prefer the tubulars is when I'm riding my wheel-on trainer. Because it seems silly to burn a tubular up when pedalling indoors.

On the road, I'd gladly ride a tubular over a clincher; changing a flat isn't all that awful either once you know what you are doing and have had some practice.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post

Quote:
i have fully found the opposite to be true. i have now been on tubulars for 2 seasons with literally zero flats (i did however somehow make it to within 30ft of home when one tire finally wore thin). in that time i have changed or helped change tires on several of my riding buddies rigs due to crappy roads, which are everywhere, because we dont fix things in this country. I have changed my wifes commuter tires, i have sat roadside while folks change their michelins, or GP4000s, or you name it.

i guess my experience is that tubulars dont flat as often, dont require nearly as much weekly or monthly care, and even come with the bonus of a better and lighter ride.

I have to agree with Matt here.

All I ride is tubulars, all the time and Im the only one I know of on our rides that uses tubulars. But I almost never get flats when all of the other guys do, yes the glue up can be a bit of a pain at times but that's really rare.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Put latex tubes in there and report. 'Feel' is subjective, BUT there are other advantages to tubies besides 'feel'. They also corner very well since the sidewalls are supple, which, like a radial car tire, more tread stays on the road. PLUS 'some' wee weight savings PLUS..if glued on properly(no, not black or or weird science)..if ya flat, the tire won't come off rim, which is a real possibility with clinchers.

Throw in the lower pressure craze and no pinch flats..yes, tubies have real advantages.
Few thoughts from open-minded person (me):
*I seem to only get a flat tire on clinchers once every two or three years, basically when the butyl gets old it seems. I pay a lot of attention to junk in the road.
*Are Veloflex Master open clinchers not supple? They are something like 320 TPI if I remember correctly.
*About weight, it seems that the spin-up would be faster on tubular wheels, but that clincher wheels would have more momentum. I'm on 20 pound plus bikes and weight is more of a nuance curiosity than a real concern in my world.
*The part about a tire staying on the rim is of most interest to me. I'd like to think about how to quantify this risk. I'm not descending like Nibali, but safety is a priority.
*Low pressure craze? I guess I have some catching up to do on the literature. I've been running 25s at 95 to 105 psi for years, thinking it was more or less optimal.

Help me see the light.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
I know everyone's experiences are different, but locally here in NYC I think the percentage of tubulars in races has declined notably in the past 5+ years - particularly due to the fact that carbon clinchers have become more viable. Maybe that is unique to this areas as most racers are apartment dwellers like me and being creative about when and where to glue tubulars gets old.

I still race on carbon tubulars but am strongly considering buying some carbon clinchers and just using those all the time. I know others are very proficient at changing tubulars in the event of a flat but not me (for all other posters, please feel free to direct your anger at me for my shortcomings), so my non-racing miles are almost always on clinchers.
FWIW Veloflex Masters are the best clincher tires I have ever ridden. There was another one made by Panaracer that I loved too but I forgot what they were called. But the Masters are the closest Tubular feel I have found and they are not expensive either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I guess we need to process this thread all over again. I think I might still have some (4?) unused Clement Criterium Setas left over from 1980. Definitely need to Kondo those things. Yes, I'm an uncultured slob and too lazy to glue tires on. I still have a pro-tubular bias left over from before you could get decent clinchers, but as soon as I could buy clinchers that would fit on my race bike, I started training on them. Then switch for races.
IDK what Kondo means but if it means sell then I'll take 'em
Old 02-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
I have to agree with Matt here.

All I ride is tubulars, all the time and Im the only one I know of on our rides that uses tubulars. But I almost never get flats when all of the other guys do, yes the glue up can be a bit of a pain at times but that's really rare.

I am forever getting bits of wire, pieces of glass that cause the punctures. I'd guess a flat once every two weeks. That is on a nice, fresh Corsa. If I go it a Specialized Espior Sport, a truly dreadful tire, I flat much less. However you can see the nail, nailed that tire!

With a massive amount of home building in the area the trucks track mud on to the roads and "stuff" falls off them.

Here's a couple of the lovely items I've picked up.26173232_10213766333845882_502968125642526558_o.jpeg
Old 02-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Everything is connected

My Nucelons and Record/Nemesis wheels see all of the action these days and I’m down to two sets of clincher wheelsets (one pair of NOS Neutron Ultras and a pair of silver Record hubs laced to Open Pro CD’s). They both have been gathering dust for the past five years and if they weren’t so pretty to look at, I’d sell them.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM

I love tubulars. Great ride, grip and feel. I can't afford them. A flat costs too much.