Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 10:33 AM

Bottom line is hopefully they all recover quickly.

This stuff always just happens and it always will as long as racing is involved and bunches are grouped up like this.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Bottom line is hopefully they all recover quickly.

This stuff always just happens and it always will as long as racing is involved and bunches are grouped up like this.
On this I'll agree with you completely. Real world, non-virtual bike racing will never be 100% safe or sanitized.

Greg
Old 04-05-2024, 11:17 AM

Maybe their disc brakes overheated? Internal headset routing cut the cables? Tubeless tire blowout? Going too fast from their aero gains?

Last edited by lorenbike; 04-05-2024 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:29 AM

Just saw this update: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pri...ollapsed-lung/. Roglic escaped with no fractures, but Vingegaard suffered a collapsed lung. I can't imagine he'll be racing at full strength until late-summer at the earliest.

Greg
Old 04-05-2024, 12:14 PM

Chris Horner was talking about this. He said punctured lung would indicate a rib completely fractured which takes way longer to recover from than a partial fracture.

He specifically said partial fracture could mean ok go the Giro, full fracture lucky to make the Tour.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:21 PM

Do they prop these guys on a trainer bike and force them to pedal through pain to keep their engine tuned? That is why I mentioned earlier the wash of a season.

Even a month lost not keeping his vo2 and endurance near maximum should be highly impactful for the earlier races and even TdF.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Chris Horner was talking about this. He said punctured lung would indicate a rib completely fractured which takes way longer to recover from than a partial fracture.

He specifically said partial fracture could mean ok go the Giro, full fracture lucky to make the Tour.
When Alaphilippe had a collapsed lung at 2022 LBL, he did not race the tour, but did end up winning a stage at the Tour of Wallonie at the end of July.

With that as a benchmark, I think it's plausible (and I'm hopeful) Vingegaard will be able to race the tour, but he probably won't be at 100%.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
That is the thing about broken ribs & many cannot compare their to others. There are true & false ribs ...They can all be fractured, broken or dislocated

Broken ribs more of a problem not just for obvious reasons but also a danger because it is not just a lung it could puncture it could be other organs like spleen liver or kidneys

Kinda scary when considered
Old 04-05-2024, 12:45 PM
50 bpm

Odds on a Pog win at the TdF just got shorter.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Odds on a Pog win at the TdF just got shorter.
Maybe a Giro and Tdf double win.
He has no competition at the Giro, he just needs to do enough to win and no more.
I think Bernal could be competitive the way he is improving.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
He just needs to do enough to win and no more.
Agree. I almost posted this a week ago, postulating that winning this Giro could cost Pog less physically than it has any person who's tried it in recent memories. He doesn't have to race like an idiot, as he does every year at the Tour (and I say that admiringly, I love the way he races). Coupled with the back end at the Tour looking a lot softer after yesterday and he's got a super shot at it.

As for the racing, the impression that I get is that it's evolved a lot in the last couple of years. The aggregated gains of aero, tires, and now especially nutrition have reduced the penalty for being alone or in a small group vs drafting in a large group. This is why you see breaks being kept on relatively short leashes now - you give a couple of talented breakaway guys 2 minutes and it's good night, Irene. If you've got 3 strong people in TTT mode chasing one strong rider in ITT mode, the 3 can't do all that much more than their threshold over a long period, plus they get slowed by gamesmanship and lumps and turns while the ITT is just flat out.

The nutrition products and protocols change the fatigue and recovery dynamics so much that you have more people capable of going faster day after day, and so you REALLY need to smash the gas and make it super hard to create differences, and so you get this kind of hell for leather racing that sometimes winds up with a bunch of people broken on the ground.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:23 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
The nutrition products and protocols change the fatigue and recovery dynamics so much that you have more people capable of going faster day after day, and so you REALLY need to smash the gas and make it super hard to create differences, and so you get this kind of hell for leather racing that sometimes winds up with a bunch of people broken on the ground.
This is something I've been assuming. Nutrition has evolved so much that people can race differently. I think back on racing-age me and my propensity to bonk and the difference a glucose monitor might've made ... I might've gone from inconsistent nobody to consistent nobody.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
This is something I've been assuming. Nutrition has evolved so much that people can race differently. I think back on racing-age me and my propensity to bonk and the difference a glucose monitor might've made ... I might've gone from inconsistent nobody to consistent nobody.
Ha, me too!
Old 04-05-2024, 03:08 PM

I'm really interested in knowing if there is any truth to the current nutrition having any verifiable performance effect compared to let's say, 10 years ago. Any solid studies which isolates these variables? Not just speculation (without solid data) on how this dual source carbohydrate and isotonic gel with a 0.0 to 1.0 fructose/glucose ration etc etc etc aids in performance/recovery.

I mean all of this sounds good on paper and seems reasonable. But where is the peer reviewed, gold-standard data to back it up? Anecdotes do not count. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
Agree. I almost posted this a week ago, postulating that winning this Giro could cost Pog less physically than it has any person who's tried it in recent memories. He doesn't have to race like an idiot, as he does every year at the Tour (and I say that admiringly, I love the way he races). Coupled with the back end at the Tour looking a lot softer after yesterday and he's got a super shot at it.

As for the racing, the impression that I get is that it's evolved a lot in the last couple of years. The aggregated gains of aero, tires, and now especially nutrition have reduced the penalty for being alone or in a small group vs drafting in a large group. This is why you see breaks being kept on relatively short leashes now - you give a couple of talented breakaway guys 2 minutes and it's good night, Irene. If you've got 3 strong people in TTT mode chasing one strong rider in ITT mode, the 3 can't do all that much more than their threshold over a long period, plus they get slowed by gamesmanship and lumps and turns while the ITT is just flat out.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:09 PM

Really bummed to hear Landa crashed today and is out with broken clavicle. I really enjoyed seeing him with such great form early on this year, always enjoyed watching him race. The Basque Tour is one to remember, and for a lot for riders, to forget.