Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2005, 07:10 PM

Steve Potts titanium owners??

Hi there -

I am wondering if anyone out there owns a Potts ti road bike? I am planning to buy my first ti frame and want something nice, and perhaps a bit unusual. I have heard great things about his WTB mountain bikes, but wonder what his ride bikes are like. Also, does anyone know the cost for a straight up ti road frame? His website doesn't appear to have those details.

Thanks for any insight...
Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Never seen one, but just checked out the website. I love checking out websites of custom builders I'd never heard of before. Looks like he does decent work! Breezer dropouts always remind me of Moots. Oh, and Dean. Didn't see a price list though. Jeff N.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 PM

I can't locate the website. Got a link?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:44 PM

stevepottscycles.com
Old 10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Litespeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas
Hi there -

I am wondering if anyone out there owns a Potts ti road bike? I am planning to buy my first ti frame and want something nice, and perhaps a bit unusual. I have heard great things about his WTB mountain bikes, but wonder what his ride bikes are like. Also, does anyone know the cost for a straight up ti road frame? His website doesn't appear to have those details.

Thanks for any insight...
I really went through the same thing a few years ago. There are a fair number of good Ti builders out there and IMO the best Ti frame are built right here in the good ole USA. After an exhaustive six month search for the perfect Ti frame, the choice was obvious to me - Moots Vamoots SL 6/4 Ti. There are other nice bikes out there like the Legend Ti and others. But the Vamoots SL is just in a league of it's own. The build quality, the racing geometry and the ride quaility of Moots really put other Ti frame builders on the defensive. I'm sure that this Potts guy builds some nice frame. But, Moots is just a cut above everything else out there when it comes to Ti.

Test ride them all and then test ride a Moots Vamoots SL. Once you do the choice will be obvious.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeeder
I really went through the same thing a few years ago. There are a fair number of good Ti builders out there and IMO the best Ti frame are built right here in the good ole USA. After an exhaustive six month search for the perfect Ti frame, the choice was obvious to me - Moots Vamoots SL 6/4 Ti. There are other nice bikes out there like the Legend Ti and others. But the Vamoots SL is just in a league of it's own. The build quality, the racing geometry and the ride quaility of Moots really put other Ti frame builders on the defensive. I'm sure that this Potts guy builds some nice frame. But, Moots is just a cut above everything else out there when it comes to Ti.

Test ride them all and then test ride a Moots Vamoots SL. Once you do the choice will be obvious.

Agreed. Moots is tough to beat. Jeff N.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Litespeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Agreed. Moots is tough to beat. Jeff N.

I wish I were in San Diego right now. Here in New York, it's getting down right cold but I'm still riding every day.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:37 AM

Yeah - agreed that Moots are pretty nice frames. Steve Potts is legendary in mountain biking circles and worked with Charlie Cunningham at WTB to build some of the nicest, simplest hardtails that I have ever seen.

Being out of the MTB scene now (mine is a commuter) I am looking to dedicate my money to a beautiful, full ti road bike. Thus far, my choices are a Legend, Concours, Vamoots, and maybe a Seven or IF. I might look at an older Merlin XL too.

Any other suggestions? I would be happy buying used (but that more or less rules out a Potts!) Thanks.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Serpico

nice work (Potts)

can someone explain why this frame has headtube on the "wrong side" though? or is this just a custom frame with weird dimensions? what is the point of having it like that (headtube extending below the downtube so far)?

(I don't like those Easton bell bottom [tt] forks, just imho)

Last edited by Serpico; 10-29-2005 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:56 AM

70's

70's forks. Wow, flared forks back in fashion.
Does it matter which side the head tube extension sits?
To my thinking it doesn't and it is an aesthetic. There maybe different forces applied to the fork over time with larger forces on the bottom (fork side) but I wouldn't think it matters that much. I'd be interested to know if there are any real differences.
A
Old 10-29-2005, 07:53 AM

Thumbs down

That, plus the cable adjusters appear to be higher up on the headtube than I'm used to seeing. But I'm sure Mr. Potts will build the dang thing any which-a-way you like it! I'll tell ya though....is there an uglier bike aesthetic than a sloping top tube? Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 10-29-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:02 AM

The frame's not too bad - nice and simple looking (though I am not into slopers) but the fork looks like it has been designed by someone with a Star Wars fetish. It would probably look Ok on another frame or with another combination of colours e.g. on a TT bike?
A
Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Alles klar Herr Kommissar

Imho

and no disrespect to Steve Potts, I would take any Ti bike from Serotta every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Also, this praise of Moots seems simply to boil down mostly to aesthetics. If Hampsten sells them, they must be ok; however, I cannot imagine buying a straight gauged Ti frame for the price Moots charges on the basis of welds. Serotta dropouts are way cooler and the Fierte has a more advanced tubeset than a Vamoots. I know the 6/4 Ti is double-butted and blah, blah; however, I still remain unconvinced.

BTW, isn't there a Moots forum for this?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Bike Fitter

the lower head tube extension probably comes from the guys back ground in MTB builds where clearence for suspension forks required tweaks like this. Its different but functionally works the same. Agian there are so many used Ti frames out on the market place I'd be looking used first if it fit right. Just my opinion and I'd stick with a BIG name ti builder for the longevity and the warranty. Ever have a cracked Ti frame , I did and it was good to have a full replacement at NO CHARGE.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:28 AM

I second the thought about the legend ti. aptly so I think as this IS the serotta site.