Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Be interested to see when consumers tire of purchasing I'll fitting widgets manufactured in China from nuclear waste and instead take the time to get the actual product withe the correct fit from someone who knows what they're talking about
I'm not sure where the part highlighted above fits in here, since most products sold at the LBS are also manufactured in China (or other low-cost labor country).

I always thought it a bit disingenuous when an LBS exhorts the customer base to buy local, when the LBS themselves have off-shored the source of their wares long ago.

Like it or not, we now live in a global economy. The rise of the internet just allows individual consumer to play in the global marketplace, not just the big suppliers.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Shhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Skiis too..
Old 02-18-2019, 06:58 PM

Context, you cherry picked from my statement

"The interwebs have allowed a large number of consumers with absolutely no technical knowledge to shop for things purely based on price. That's an interesting conundrum as it doesn't take lots of important variables into consideration. Sure you can buy a fresh 2.5 lump for your 2010 Jetta off of Craigslist for $250...but spend a day under the shade tree with it and that $1500 all in from your local mechanic isn't such a bad deal after all

Be interested to see when consumers tire of purchasing I'll fitting widgets manufactured in China from nuclear waste and instead take the time to get the actual product withe the correct fit from someone who knows what they're talking about"

Many of the products we buy in the US are made in China, that's a given. But you introduce yourself to direct from China to the consumer and the consumer doesn't know their butt from their elbow, you end up with terrible products. When someone is in a partnership and collaborating to create a product that is manufactured in Asia and sold thru outlets in the US it's different. That's where things get interesting, I see it as a ceiling to the on-line shopping experience and I wonder when it kicks in. Sure, Oakleys are made in China, but take a moment to compare those to the $12 Tifoakeys you can get on Amazon Prime and there is marked difference

When do folks get tired of buying pure crap when all they wanted was a sunglass that didn't change the color of their skin and had actual UV protection...not "Uvvveeee Protectshun". There's value that gets missed when all you do is shop on price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I'm not sure where the part highlighted above fits in here, since most products sold at the LBS are also manufactured in China (or other low-cost labor country).

I always thought it a bit disingenuous when an LBS exhorts the customer base to buy local, when the LBS themselves have off-shored the source of their wares long ago.

Like it or not, we now live in a global economy. The rise of the internet just allows individual consumer to play in the global marketplace, not just the big suppliers.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 02-18-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Context, you cherry picked from my statement

[

Many of the products we buy in the US are made in China, that's a given. But you introduce yourself to direct from China to the consumer and the consumer doesn't know their butt from their elbow. When someone is in a partnership and collaborating to create a product that is manufactured in Asia and sold thru outlets in the US it's different. That's where things get interesting, I see it as a ceiling to the on-line shopping experience and I wonder when it kicks. Sure, Oakleys are made in China, but take a moment to compare those to the $12 Tifoakeys you can get on Amazon Prime and there is marked difference

When do folks get tired of buying pure crap when all they wanted was a sunglass that didn't change the color of their skin and had actual UV protection...not "Uvvveeee Protectshun". There's value that gets missed when all you do is shop on price
the public would $hit their pants if they knew what generic pesticides are being produced in China and sold in the US. Before I got out of the business we did a favor for someone and found considerable cyanide gas produced in a pesticide jug from a Chinese generic producer.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 PM

pestisides and grass fertilizer is one of my pet peeves. Living on an estuary its even more important the low/no use, as well as dogs and family. Understand professional stuff when used correctly.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
the public would $hit their pants if they knew what generic pesticides are being produced in China and sold in the US. Before I got out of the business we did a favor for someone and found considerable cyanide gas produced in a pesticide jug from a Chinese generic producer.
Suffice to say, w/o drifting this too much, that the environmental 'requirements' and governmental oversight is next to non existent in China and Taiwan and those types of things add $ to a final product. Lowest cost, fastest, w/o regard for things like worker safety or the environment. My wife went to Shenzhen to visit one of her company's factories and the air quality, and trash everywhere, were appalling..sewers emptying into the street, type stuff..but 'locals' seem to just not see it. With $(and she was catered the entire trip), you see the best places, restaurants, hotels but a stroll a few blocks away..pretty amazing.

To fix that stuff costs Yuan...