Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 AM

GPS help?

I am considering buying my first computer in 10yrs

I want it for a very specific purpose - I any want to use it to navigate trails - does that mean I want a gps? I don't care about speed and distance and cadence etc - only that a computer will help me turn corners when riding on lesser known routes. Old is fine, but it must be fully capable of running modern software and be in great shape.

Thanks for your advice . Not a WTB yet - I am just wondering what models are out there that I should be looking for and if the investment is worth it...
Old 02-20-2019, 05:49 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I am considering buying my first computer in 10yrs

I want it for a very specific purpose - I any want to use it to navigate trails - does that mean I want a gps? I don't care about speed and distance and cadence etc - only that a computer will help me turn corners when riding on lesser known routes. Old is fine, but it must be fully capable of running modern software and be in great shape.

Thanks for your advice . Not a WTB yet - I am just wondering what models are out there that I should be looking for and if the investment is worth it...
I have an older Garmin 810. Garmins have historically a bunch of firmware issues. The latest updates seem to be OK. For Garmin, you want the 800 series or above for navigation. The cadence and speed sensors are a bonus for you, and I'd put them on the bike and let them run. The speed sensor is particularly helpful if you don't have a satellite lock.

A lot of people like the Wahoo, but they are not without fault. A woman I ride with had to send hers in.

DCRainmaker has a page on getting the latest OSM maps. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/...705800810.html

You're going to want to download the trail maps. I don't know if OSM covers that or not (given that they are Open Street Maps).
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 AM

What do you mean by trails? Are you doing bike paths/standard routes, or are you in the deep woods?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
What do you mean by trails? Are you doing bike paths/standard routes, or are you in the deep woods?
Let’s say ‘deep in the woods’. I know friends use Trailforks on their phone when we are MTBing and maybe this will be adequate. To answer the question, I do t just want this to navigate paved streets.

I am also planning an MTB ride in Palm Springs in a few weeks and was thinking a GPS would be a good idea for people who’ve never ridden this area and may do stupid things on the trails
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Randomhead

I think most of the trails around here are available as gpx files, or are on ride with gps. So you could use any garmin or similar device. I think a lot of people with similar requirements to yours use the etrex units.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM

Have you tried trailforks? That is exactly what it is for. I have had lots of success using it on trails where I have never ridden.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Read DC rainmaker

See link below:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/...endations.html

Scroll down to cycling GPS units and start reading. He has links to his detailed reviews which are great and you can read comments from his readers. Focus on how the units work on trails. I have a Wahoo Bolt for the road but not I would not buy one for trails and deep woods.

Alan
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Years ago, I used an early Garmin hand held model on a 13 day backpacking trip at the Philmont Boy Scout Camp. I used it to teach the guys orienteering. We would stop at a location and they would use regular topo maps to try to figure out where they were. I would give them the elevation and then check their results against the GPS.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopes View Post
Have you tried trailforks? That is exactly what it is for. I have had lots of success using it on trails where I have never ridden.
Thanks Mike - I will follow up with you by email