Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 AM

Anyone interested, I spotted this NOS Campy Comp Triple (this was the last generation made--uses Centaur sq taper) 53-42-30/ 170 ~$140:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-NEW-Cam...8AAOSwQ5VcXuZo
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Anyone interested, I spotted this NOS Campy Comp Triple (this was the last generation made--uses Centaur sq taper) 53-42-30/ 170 ~$140:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-NEW-Cam...8AAOSwQ5VcXuZo
Quote:
I have an ‘07 Ottrott with red tinted tubes. Running same year silver Campy Record
And....with a new triple front der, of ANY manufacturer...it'll work just fine with that LH Campag lever!!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM

I am in a similar situation on my 2004 Spectrum. Went with a Veloce 13-29 cassette as the easiest “fix”. If I am reading the forum correctly, Shimano maybe working on a new range of sub compacts that will sure to draw my interest.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 PM

Thanks to peterb

A post on the Classifieds netted a Centaur compact crank from peterb.
Nicer riding now. First ride with others netted me a "sure is a pretty bike".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ottrott 004.jpg (43.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
...and maintaining style.
I have an ‘07 Ottrott with red tinted tubes. Running same year silver Campy Record with 39-53/13-26. I’ve always liked 13-26 going back to the days of six speed.
Getting older and slower, and putting up with TKRs, thought it’s time for some easier gears. Opinions solicited on which way to go:

1) Campy compact crank from same era.
Pro: same generation; uses square taper bottom bracket.
Con: black carbon vs tinted on tubes; rumors of pedal inserts coming loose.
2) Campy Record 11 speed compact crank, carbon, five arm spider.
Pro: current technology.
Con: color; funky green bearing cups.
3) Athena 11 silver compact UT crank.
Pro: silver; current technology.
Con: funky green bearing cups.
4) 13-29 cassette.
Pro: cheap, since I already have one.
Con: never came to terms with gear spacing.
5) 12-30 cassette.
Pro: 30 tooth low.
Con: don’t need the 12.

Humor me.
First figure out what gearing you'd like to have, then figure out how to get it. What high do you need, what low, what do you need for level terrain cruising gear?
Old 04-20-2019, 05:56 PM

I think my view on Campy Triples is a little different than most on here. And I've been riding them, on at least one of my bikes....one I take traveling, since the Racing T 8 speeds came out in 90's. I've also got pretty good at setting them up....so they shift same as a nice shifting double.

I view them as a way to have it all when your riding is on both flats and hilly/mountainous terrain. They allow me to have my gears close together...front and rear, with a small ring in front for occasional climbing. And I don't think that 30 oz small ring adds any more weight than some big cassettes I see with same low gear. I usually use a 30-42-52 and 13-26, or 13-30 or 13-29 with a med cage RD. Got a new 30-40-50 Comp Triple I haven't used yet. But (78 next month) might use that as a 28-40-50 with what ever I wish at rear. Don't care about fast going down the mountain, I just get to top and coast down the other side anyway. Going over 30-35 scares the heck out of me.

If I lived in mountains where it is either up or down.....frankly I would as soon use one of the new doubles...with something like a 30-46 front.....and rear cassette of 11-32. So I could tell when I was shifting on a climb. Think close ratio rear is too small a change many times. And have some other cassettes starting with 12 for more close ratio riding. And...I've always got a bunch of cassettes around...to mix up cogs with. Anyway...I view Campy Triples the way Campy used to describe them....for fast riding where you want to make small changes for elevation and wind changes, with a small ring for climbs. But for just climbing....then going down the other side......double can give same low gears with changes you can feel on climbs.

Triples with very low gears like you use for touring or a loaded bike take some different thinking. You can get way lower than a light road bike needs with one of those. Down to walking speed.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:07 PM

I've got an Athena UT silver Compact 175 and Chorus 12/29 cassette I can sell. Also have a Record compact 4-arm 34/50...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
These..First gen were silver, next gold-ish, these 'kinda' greenish. BUT tightest tolerances..OP could find some seals, slap into the black SR ones..
For my Della Santa I picked up these silver, italian threaded Campy bb cups, e.g., first gen, Campy for under $8:

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...board-cups-oem

They're silver and work well!

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
In my case, I went with the 13-29 cassette. The only difference between the 13-26 and the 13-29 is that one has an 18 tooth sprocket in the middle, and one has a 29 tooth sprocket at the end - all other sprockets are the same (13-14-15-16-17 19-21-23-26). This choice was made easier for me, because I had come from a 13-26 9spd cassette, and the 13-29 10spd was exactly the same with a 29 tooth added to the end. And if you don't like the gear spacing on the 13-29, the 12-30 will only be worse (and a 30 tooth sprocket isn't much bigger than a 29).
+1.

Another dinosaur here still stuck in 10 speed land.

Nowadays I'm usually running either 13-26 or 13-29. Nice gaps and the range I need. I have one set of wheels with the newer 12-27 cassette also... have to say I don't like it quite as well.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
For my Della Santa I picked up these silver, italian threaded Campy bb cups, e.g., first gen, Campy for under $8:

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...board-cups-oem

They're silver and work well!

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
They're around, and cheap... and with 3 bikes with the vastly superior Italian threaded BB, I've stockpiled a couple. But trying to find that same 2009 era silver finish in an English threaded version? Good luck.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 PM

Has anyone tried the Veloce or Centaur Power Torque 10 speed Triple cranks with the older style shifters and comp front derailleur? Power Torque was click and it drops to the smaller ring vs the ratcheting style of the older 10 speed left shifter. They have a narrower Q factor than the square taper triple cranks.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Has anyone tried the Veloce or Centaur Power Torque 10 speed Triple cranks with the older style shifters and comp front derailleur? Power Torque was click and it drops to the smaller ring vs the ratcheting style of the older 10 speed left shifter. They have a narrower Q factor than the square taper triple cranks.
They work perfectly well, you’ll just need to readjust the stop screws.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 AM

Can a campy chorus short cage RD handle the 29 tooth cog?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weir View Post
Can a campy chorus short cage RD handle the 29 tooth cog?
Yes, and the 12-30(10s) as well...The '29' came out with only a standard cage rear der...
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 AM

I used a sram red crank on my sr 11 Ottrott, they're easy to strip. A company in Italy called speedydecals makes sr11 crank decals, and I used some testors candy red on the cranks after stripping them. It looks really nice.