Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Somewhere here or there was a thread that discussed the concept for a 650b road bike. The emphasis was on a bike having all the manners and response of a good road bike but with moderately sized 650b tires for extra comfort, traction and fun. This concept steers away somewhat from 650b gravel bikes that are more relaxed and oriented toward unpaved adventuring. Maybe this is splitting hairs, but the distinction means something to me as I celebrate the gospel of snappy bikes wearing chubby tires.

Then along came the middle length Whisky RD+ fork, a printed titanium yoke and a conversation about ti-carbon. Stars aligned. The good folks at Firefly brought my vision to life in spectacular form.

Kitted with Force 1x, Easton hbars and crank, Compass Babyshoes on G27s, and various White Industries items, this immaculate frameset brings it all together just right with variously dimensioned carbon tubes, short beefy chainstays, skinny seatstays and the ever-polarizing-but-truly-custom ISP. I love the green bits.

My brief initial impressions are that the pedaling is pleasantly stiff&responsive, and the ride is remarkably quiet. It steers like a road bike too. 44x11-32 has the gears I like.
It’s worth noting that this bike fits 650bx2.1 and a large 700c as well, with no compromise of the original goal. Fenders will go on. This is all a neat trick.
Love to here more about why you chose to go with a Ti-Carbon build instead of a full Ti build ?

Full details please.

Thx
Old 03-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Having worked with Firefly before with fantastic results in all-titanium, I wanted to nudge things a bit further into the heady realm of their ti-carbon offering. It's beautiful, exotic and all the rest.

There are also some practical reasons for ti-carbon. Firefly website phrases the concept nicely: "...With the addition of custom Enve composites carbon main triangle tubing, we can take advantage of all of the qualities of titanium, while shaving weight and adding the stiffness and vibration damping of top-of-the-line carbon." It's a delightful no-compromise combination, especially when you are tipping the scales beyond the middle point of the stiffness spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Love to here more about why you chose to go with a Ti-Carbon build instead of a full Ti build ?

Instagram
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Beautiful. Replace that HS with a Chris King and you're dialed. OR not.................
Old 03-07-2019, 08:06 PM

leave the HS as is!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Every time I see you sell a bike I think to myself who would sell that? It looks perfect—and then see the new bike that comes and think ohhh... that’s why.

This might be the most perfect firefly I’ve ever seen and if I were to buy custom—when I buy custom—it will be to get something like this. Fantastic.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Having worked with Firefly before with fantastic results in all-titanium, I wanted to nudge things a bit further into the heady realm of their ti-carbon offering. It's beautiful, exotic and all the rest.

There are also some practical reasons for ti-carbon. Firefly website phrases the concept nicely: "...With the addition of custom Enve composites carbon main triangle tubing, we can take advantage of all of the qualities of titanium, while shaving weight and adding the stiffness and vibration damping of top-of-the-line carbon." It's a delightful no-compromise combination, especially when you are tipping the scales beyond the middle point of the stiffness spectrum.
More info from the FF thread on why to love Ti - Carbon frames ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but can you tell me why mixed material bikes are so popular? Does the addition of carbon soften/tune the ride more than if pure ti was used? I think it was weight savings back in the day when this was first tried, but now that these bikes are so refined, there must be a performance benefit as well, right?

As always, these are stunning, jaw-dropping bikes. The level of craftsmanship is unmatched in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
Thanks!

The popularity of this format stems from the ability to combine the best traits of both Titanium and Carbon Fiber. You get the renowned liveliness and of the titanium drivetrain (often referred to as "snappy") matched with the light weight and stiffness characteristics of the carbon main tubes. The carbon main tubes also add a degree of high-frequency dampening to the overall feel, eliminating a lot of the buzz that leads to fatigue on long rides.

One bonus of this format for builders like us is that we can make our own lugs, adding the same degree of customization to parts specifications, geometry, and ride characteristics as our all titanium bikes. Things like tapered or straight head tubes, PF30, T47, or BSA Bottom Brackets, and all combinations of brake types and cable routing can be accommodated.

The result is a truly high-performance bike with none of the sacrifices to fit, handling, ride quality, durability or parts compatibility found in many all carbon bikes on the market.

Let me know if you need any more clarification or have any more questions.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:16 PM

Firefly #831 650b

good ride today

Instagram
Old 03-13-2019, 11:47 PM
No hope

Awesome

Yes, like others have said, perfect bike!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM

Steve, your bikes just keep getting better and better! Not sure how you're gonna top this one [if/when you decide to get another custom], but you always manage to do so! Incredible.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
Steve, your bikes just keep getting better and better! Not sure how you're gonna top this one [if/when you decide to get another custom], but you always manage to do so! Incredible.
Thx Alex. It has that je ne sais quoi that I am always chasing. Feels perfect.

More so than ever before I am inclined to say that I've completed the journey, but you know...

Instagram
Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM

Love the bike!

How do you like the Whiskey fork? My number is coming up soon in the FF queue, and I'm weighing my options.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 PM

This thing is the bike I've been chasing with all dials at 11. So cool. Congratulations on a really dialed looking machine that I'm sure rides amazingly.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:12 AM

This fork is working out as I had hoped. The appearance, the handling, the clearances, etc. Great.

We discussed this and similar forks on VSalon, starting at this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycling.james View Post
Love the bike!

How do you like the Whiskey fork? My number is coming up soon in the FF queue, and I'm weighing my options.

Instagram
Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Beautiful. Replace that HS with a Chris King and you're dialed. OR not.................
It doesn't work like that. The geometry is set up for an internal HS. Just not sure about the ISP. Does FF do an internal brake hose on the ti / carbon? Nice ride btw!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
It doesn't work like that. The geometry is set up for an internal HS. Just not sure about the ISP. Does FF do an internal brake hose on the ti / carbon? Nice ride btw!
I spec'd an ISP solely to provoke another Paceline debate.

Any IS41 headset upper would work.
Not sure on internal routing on ti-carbon - it never hurts to ask when at Firefly.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 03-15-2019 at 07:55 AM.