Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Maybe try out one of these? Heard nothing but good things and can really be dialed in.

Wow. Well, they certainly don't lack ambition
Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 PM

In the works..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Bely’s Service Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bely View Post
The love really goes out to the English & SV if I were to be completely honest with y’all.

I love the feel of steel, where the bike tends to feel planted. instills confidence in corners & that buttery smooth feel. However, the one complaint I have for completely steel bikes (again I put in a huge disclaimer - it 90% could probably be my fault when approving the drafts of the geometries, so many other factors, etc) is that it doesn’t seem to have that snappiness of a carbon bike, that “light” but almost instant responsiveness of a carbon bike.

Why those 2 steeds singled out? I think they marry the best of both worlds at this point. The comfort & confidence of a steel bike with the acceleration of a carbon one

I have the exact same feelings about steel vs carbon as you. Have you compared any steel bikes with steel forks as well?

I also see you have a few ti bikes in your collection. Being privileged to try so many high end bikes, why do you think you don’t have more ti bikes? Is it missing something steel and carbon have that you’re looking for?

Last edited by vincenz; 02-07-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM

I also see you have a few ti bikes in your collection. Being privileged to try so many high end bikes, why do you think you don’t have more ti bikes? Is it missing something steel and carbon don’t have that you’re looking for?[/QUOTE]

Interested in your thoughts on this as well.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
In the works..

Why am I not surprised Ben. My guess is it will be a one off with gold Ti 3D lugs. Well done, well done!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Maybe try out one of these? Heard nothing but good things and can really be dialed in.

Now your talking !

Another Carbon Ti wonder bike, do it.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:02 AM

that bastion is one seriously clean looking rig. never heard of those before.

very sharp.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
that bastion is one seriously clean looking rig. never heard of those before.

very sharp.
Don't want to drift too far away from his thread but read up on them. Doing some amazing stuff. 3D Ti lugs with Filament Wound tubes.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The love really goes out to the English & SV if I were to be completely honest with y’all.

I love the feel of steel, where the bike tends to feel planted. instills confidence in corners & that buttery smooth feel. However, the one complaint I have for completely steel bikes (again I put in a huge disclaimer - it 90% could probably be my fault when approving the drafts of the geometries, so many other factors, etc) is that it doesn’t seem to have that snappiness of a carbon bike, that “light” but almost instant responsiveness of a carbon bike.

Why those 2 steeds singled out? I think they marry the best of both worlds at this point. The comfort & confidence of a steel bike with the acceleration of a carbon one

I've had the same experience with steel frames not having enough snappiness compared to carbon. I wouldn't think that having a carbon seattube in your English and SV would make much of a difference in snap, though. Have you ridden a full steel SV to compare it to your carbon seat tube version?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:27 AM

wow. I found myself getting angry at how nice of a collection this is and how ugly mine is.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
I've had the same experience with steel frames not having enough snappiness compared to carbon. I wouldn't think that having a carbon seattube in your English and SV would make much of a difference in snap, though. Have you ridden a full steel SV to compare it to your carbon seat tube version?

I didn’t get to ride a full steel Speedvagen but owned & rode other steel bikes, Stinner, Pego Respo & Marcelo MXXXXXO the notable few amongst others!

The English & SV definitely feels more responsive.

Again, could be the geometry, amongst so many other variables!

Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I also see you have a few ti bikes in your collection. Being privileged to try so many high end bikes, why do you think you don’t have more ti bikes? Is it missing something steel and carbon don’t have that you’re looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The Ti bikes in the stable now are Super comfy. I can go all day on them without getting fatigued- HOWEVER they really seem to lack the snap.

Having said that after the Baum, when building the Mosaic, we tried to address these issues. Much better BUT still left more to be desired in terms of responsiveness!

Still beautiful bikes and again, all day fellas... ALL DAY LonG!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:

The Ti bikes in the stable now are Super comfy. I can go all day on them without getting fatigued- HOWEVER they really seem to lack the snap.

Having said that after the Baum, when building the Mosaic, we tried to address these issues. Much better BUT still left more to be desired in terms of responsiveness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Since you like snappy bikes, have you tried any aluminum frames? Curious to hear how you think they compare. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:

What did you have done to the Mosaic to try and address the lack of snap in a Ti frame ?

Thx
Old 02-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12snap View Post

Since you like snappy bikes, have you tried any aluminum frames? Curious to hear how you think they compare. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Not really - only aluminium bikes I ever used were - Klein Quantum Pro & Cervelo Soloist (which was harsh as...)