Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 01-07-2019, 10:06 AM

SV - 2018 Surprise Me - the wait is OVER

Nearly a year after my deposit was placed and as per this thread the wait for my custom Surprise Me Speedvagen is almost over.

The wait has been killing me, as I am getting a Surprise Me, I have been doing my best to avoid seeing any of them. I have seen hints of them, but through careful browsing have not seen a full paint job.

Found out my bike is now in paint as it was on their blog, which means it is only 4-6 weeks until I get it. Still don't know exactly what I am getting other than saddle height is 79 (old bike was 80.5), headtube is 15cm with a -6 stem (21 with a -17), reach to bars is 59(60), drop is 9.8cm (9), setback is 6.6. My assessment is that they rotated me forward and down as compared to my Moots.

Bike is spec'd as follows:

Carbon Seat tube
Carbon Topper
Ultegra Mechanical
Dt 240s to HED Belgiums
Enve Stem
PRO bars
Fizik Saddle

Paint - Surprise Me - this is the reason for the long wait - could have had it in 4 months if I had gone with an off the shelf paint job. Nearly caved a few times, but once the weather turned cold it has been easier to wait.

Here is a pic my bike partially painted.

Full pics and review once I get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike in paint.jpg (66.3 KB, 1154 views)

Last edited by pdonk; 02-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:09 AM

rad, good start. looking forward to the rest
Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM

A few more "leaked" pics and I am getting concerned I won't like the colours they have chosen.

The welding looks significantly better than other years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike 2.jpg (35.7 KB, 1062 views)
File Type: jpg bike 3.jpg (38.7 KB, 1061 views)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:51 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
A few more "leaked" pics and I am getting concerned I won't like the colours they have chosen. The welding looks significantly better than other years.
When you choose "surprise me" indeed you may get a surprise.

IMHO the only two SM that completely failed were the exposed welding nude and the klein homage.

There were others which may not have been my fav but I could live with.

I did not jump up and down when I got my ciavete. But soon after and now years later I like it a lot.

I would be more concerned about your new fit. hopefully you mocked it up and test rode it on your previous.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
….I would be more concerned about your new fit. hopefully you mocked it up and test rode it on your previous.
I have been riding it as best as I could match since my fitting. It feels pretty good. The first few rides were a bit odd in terms of position, as I got used to it I could feel what Sacha was trying to promote in terms of muscle engagement and it seems to work for me.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I have been riding it as best as I could match since my fitting. It feels pretty good. The first few rides were a bit odd in terms of position, as I got used to it I could feel what Sacha was trying to promote in terms of muscle engagement and it seems to work for me.
good news on your fit. the handful of folks whom I have spoken with that have gotten a sacha fit have all been changed (saddle height, reach. drop) enough from their previous that it seems like a leap of faith. they expressed the same sentiment you did above - odd at first, got used to it.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM

If it makes you feel any better I think it looks pretty cool.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
I agree, I'm stoked to see how this comes out.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I agree, I'm stoked to see how this comes out.
I'm in the same boat. I think those colors look incredible. Reminds me of what you see at the shorelines of the Pacific NW...

Old 01-08-2019, 03:09 PM

I like the metallic flake - the choice of brown is a bit odd as I did not mention it at all as a colour. I like the robin's egg blue, just not sure how they tie to together. Clean's image helps abit.

As for previous Surprise Me's - agree with pdmtong about the klein homage - I would have been upset with it. Only other one I did not fee is the Evil Knievel stars and stripes version.

I liked the bare metal one, except I know they did not last well due to a lack of primer.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM

Man Id be stoked at that paint from what I see so far, relax SV knows what they are doing and I know you will love the ride !
Old 01-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
good news on your fit. the handful of folks whom I have spoken with that have gotten a sacha fit have all been changed (saddle height, reach. drop) enough from their previous that it seems like a leap of faith. they expressed the same sentiment you did above - odd at first, got used to it.
Curious if there's a general trend in how Sacha positions people differently than their current position -- generally more or less saddle height? Drop? Reach?

In terms of Surprise Me, not sure I could take that leap of faith. But I admire those who can!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'm in the same boat. I think those colors look incredible. Reminds me of what you see at the shorelines of the Pacific NW...

What he said ^^^^^

I actually LOVE the colors on there. Seriously.

Way more than previous "Surprise Me" schemas I've seen.

Looks like ocean and mountains and trees. And there's some depth there too...

I would be stoked if I were you.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

What he said.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Curious if there's a general trend in how Sacha positions people differently than their current position -- generally more or less saddle height? Drop? Reach?

In terms of Surprise Me, not sure I could take that leap of faith. But I admire those who can!
For me, my reach decreased, but drop increased, probably balanced eachother out in terms of my Ok flexibility.

As for Surprise Me, for me it is part of the Speedvagen charm. I though they would have considered my likes a bit more in terms of colour, but after the response and imaging here, the concept is growing on me. Hopefully they post a few more pics.

March is still along ways away.....