Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,418
Alliance Spirit Road - Re-homed

Update: the Alliance now lives in Seattle proper - https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=232624

--------

My latest experiment in enjoying different geometry and tubing..

This is the one Erik built as a project bike and had posted for sale for a bit across the hall. It's got extensively shapes Spirit tubes and some of the tightest Tig welding I've ever seen.

As you can see in the geo table, it has a nice low BB, relatively steep STA, and longish chainstays and front center. The combo makes for a very stable handling bike that corners exceptionally well and is a great seated climber, while also giving plenty of room for 28s.

The reach is within a cm of normal for me. I do plan to go to a -10 stem to get a bit more drop though, maybe -17.

With the seasons changing, this will probably see more trainer miles than anything - but hopefully there will still be a few more clear fall days to get real miles in her and see how I get on long term.

I will say that after spending a few weeks on skinny steel and 32s, it's nice to be back on something more spirited..
.
.
.
.
See what I did there?

.





Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Clean39T; 03-09-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Hilltopperny's Avatar
Hilltopperny Hilltopperny is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lassellsville NY
Posts: 3,891
Alliance Spirit Road

As always, very nice! Only thing I’ve owned that Erik made was a fillet brazed 1” stem that came with a Kirk terraplane I picked up. It was beautiful! Congrats on another fine bike!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:18 PM
AllianceBicycle AllianceBicycle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hailey, ID
Posts: 26
Man, that was fast. Nice work on the build! I look forward to some ride photos.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 PM
doomridesout doomridesout is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,086
Man, every Alliance I've seen just looks perfect. Definitely a short-lister for next custom bike.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllianceBicycle View Post
Man, that was fast. Nice work on the build! I look forward to some ride photos.
Had to get it built while we still had a few days of dry weather left in the year.. Plus, well, I've never been good at waiting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:33 PM
Andy sti Andy sti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 979
Oh yeah!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 PM
crankles crankles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
My latest experiment in enjoying different geometry and tubing..

This is the one Erik built as a project bike and had posted for sale for a bit across the hall. It's got extensively shapes Spirit tubes and some of the tightest Tig welding I've ever seen.

As you can see in the geo table, it has a nice low BB, relatively steep STA, and longish chainstays and front center. The combo makes for a very stable handling bike that corners exceptionally well and is a great seated climber, while also giving plenty of room for 28s.

The reach is within a cm of normal for me. I do plan to go to a -10 stem to get a bit more drop though, maybe -17.

With the seasons changing, this will probably see more trainer miles than anything - but hopefully there will still be a few more clear fall days to get real miles in her and see how I get on long term.

I will say that after spending a few weeks on skinny steel and 32s, it's nice to be back on something more spirited..
.
.
.
.
See what I did there?

.



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That Geo looks all too familiar ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotrod.jpg (65.7 KB, 666 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:13 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,418
Thomson -10x130 and dropping to a 2.5mm spacer, along with the Scoop and Deda post getting adjusted just right, put me in a very efficient and enjoyable position on here.

Ride #2 was a total success. I feel fast and good. All I can ask for..

And yet I'll still be playing with the build some more. Natch.

.



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 PM
weisan's Avatar
weisan weisan is offline
ZhugeLiang
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back in Austin, Texas
Posts: 13,109
This is what Clean pal looks like on the bike.

__________________
🏻*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 PM
KarlC KarlC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
.


This has got to be one of your best looking bikes / builds

Nice job

.
__________________
SEVEN 622SLX / SPEEDVAGEN ROAD / COLNAGO MASTER X LIGHT
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:43 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
This is what Clean pal looks like on the bike.

Terpstra-pal??

I do admire the man. Helluva bike racer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
This has got to be one of your best looking bikes / builds

Nice job

.
Thanks - though the filter embellished that last photo quite a bit.. And there are things I see on it that need work. I'm quite particular though. It may get Record 11.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 PM
weisan's Avatar
weisan weisan is offline
ZhugeLiang
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back in Austin, Texas
Posts: 13,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Terpstra-pal??

I do admire the man. Helluva bike racer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
yup.
similar body lengths...am I close?
__________________
🏻*
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:25 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
yup.
similar body lengths...am I close?
We're both 6'3" - though I got 15-18lbs on him at the moment - working on that...

I think he rides a 56cm Spesh, maybe 58cm. Gotta look that up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 PM
weisan's Avatar
weisan weisan is offline
ZhugeLiang
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back in Austin, Texas
Posts: 13,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I got 15-18lbs on him ... he rides 58cm.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...works-roubaix/

Rider height: 1.86m/6'1"
Rider weight: 75kg/165lb
Saddle height: 81.9cm
Tip of saddle to center of bar: 59.8cm
Frame size: 58cm
__________________
🏻*
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.