Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 07-28-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post

That said, the bike has a rad look, builder is in fact rad (but sensible), and the owner is rad for sure!
Well, I think you got 2 out of 3 correct.... But I'll take the compliment anyway! I am really loving this bike.

Last edited by joosttx; 07-28-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:39 PM

Now that you have this how much are you still riding the Mosaic ?
Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Now that you have this how much are you still riding the Mosaic ?
I plan to bring Pink Satan to ride with you tomorrow.

Seriously, I will ride the Mosaic plenty. Especially during the winter
Old 07-28-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I plan to bring Pink Satan to ride with you tomorrow.

Seriously, I will ride the Mosaic plenty. Especially during the winter
Please bring it this would level the playing field.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Please bring it this would level the playing field.
I didn’t say I would remove a wheel. I ate a vegan donut today if that makes you feel better.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I didn’t say I would remove a wheel. I ate a vegan donut today if that makes you feel better.
Say again ?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Say again ?
Well I am n bed with a fever. I hope I didnt cough on you. Tip of the hat.

Last edited by joosttx; 07-29-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 PM

new handlebars and grip color change....

Should I remove the silver fork logos and replace them with black so the forks are black on black?

Old 07-29-2018, 09:47 PM

nah, it's a MTB.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Houston, question:

Have you been using this bike on the same trails and areas you had been riding your gravel bike, or has this opened up some new riding that you felt was too heavy for the Mosaic? if you are riding on some of the same roads, how do you feel about the difference between riding them on the suspension bike vs the rigid drop bar bike?

Also, for longer rides, how are you feeling about using straight bars vs drop bars?

do you feel like this bike is significantly "slower" on well groomed dirt/gravel than a drop bar bike with smooth fat tires?

(just looking for your general thoughts of hardtail vs gravel road bike, etc...)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Houston, question:

Have you been using this bike on the same trails and areas you had been riding your gravel bike, or has this opened up some new riding that you felt was too heavy for the Mosaic? if you are riding on some of the same roads, how do you feel about the difference between riding them on the suspension bike vs the rigid drop bar bike?

Also, for longer rides, how are you feeling about using straight bars vs drop bars?

do you feel like this bike is significantly "slower" on well groomed dirt/gravel than a drop bar bike with smooth fat tires?

(just looking for your general thoughts of hardtail vs gravel road bike, etc...)
Have you been using this bike on the same trails and areas you had been riding your gravel bike, or has this opened up some new riding that you felt was too heavy for the Mosaic?

I am riding mostly the same fire roads. However, the Maurader has opened up trails and combinations routes I never would of done other than on a special epic day. I did 50+ miles with 5000+ ft of climbing today with a beer in the middle and cold overnight oatmeal for breakfast. I have ridden all the routes before I just never linked them.

if you are riding on some of the same roads, how do you feel about the difference between riding them on the suspension bike vs the rigid drop bar bike?

Suspended big tire bike is so awesome for two reasons: 1) Going downhill (and also uphill) I choose lines based on flow opposed to where the rocks are 2) Downhilling does not beat me. I can fly through rock gardens fast letting speed carry me over without worry of flats and being thrown around.

So I have done two 50ish 5000FT+ dirt rides this week on the Maurader. The Maurader does not beat you up like the Mosiac. It is also mentally less taxing than the Mosaic. This is mostly because downhilling is easier and smoother. Also, jamming the gears down to 30x42 or even 30X46 going uphill makes life easier. My upper body is not tired. This may be the excellent fit of the Maurader too. Kris really knows what he is doing.

I do not feel significantly slower riding on dirt roads. Mind you, there is very few flat dirt roads. Either you are going up or down. I am slower going uphill on the Maurader but not the much and I am much faster going downhill. My downhill PRs are blowing up on the Maurader. I dont think I have broken any uphill PRs. I would guess the speed downhill makes up for any lost time going uphill.

Riding on the road is slower. Note that I ride on the road to get to the trails so I am not trying to cook it. I think I am about 2-3 mph slower on the flats on the road on the Maurader compared to the Mosaic. What is 17mph for the Mosaic is 15 mph for the Maurader

Last edited by joosttx; 08-05-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Houston, question:

My pat reply when people ask me about my Maurader is it is comfortable. I have not owned MTB in 7 years (I think) and that was a 26 IF which I really hated compared to a gravel bike. So I sold it and I never bought a mountain bike. I bought this one thinking if I didnt like it at least my son and I can ride MTB together.

So, I don't think it is a MTB vs Gravel Bike thing as much as it is how does the Maurader perform. 44 Bikes is doing something really right here. I don't know enough about modern mountain bikes to really say what it is. But I do know this bike gets me places that I couldn't go in comfort. Comfort may sound like a bad word so when I say it this doesn't mean the bike does not shreds hard. Because it does that too in spades.

If I had all the money in the world I would get in line for a Ti Maurader when that store front opens.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Administrator

thanks for that detailed response.

i feel like on the east coast, at least from my experience, there is a more clear delineation between what is a mtb trail and what is a road trail. The more i ride out on the west coast, the more i think i understand what you are saying.

it sounds like this bike was a really good move for you, and a natural progression for the riding you are doing.

oh - i dig the color too.

cheers.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
thanks for that detailed response.

i feel like on the east coast, at least from my experience, there is a more clear delineation between what is a mtb trail and what is a road trail. The more i ride out on the west coast, the more i think i understand what you are saying.

it sounds like this bike was a really good move for you, and a natural progression for the riding you are doing.

oh - i dig the color too.

cheers.
I agree about the west coast / east coast thing. I love descending on the D2R2 gravel roads. I can fly. In my area this is how I explain the difference between east and west (SFBay) coasts: Gravel roads are tougher on the West Coast; Trails are harder on the East Coast.

My Daugther picked the color!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM

I am looking forward to a Reno2Cino on HT. I have been bitching about this before !