Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I spec'd an ISP solely to provoke another Paceline debate.

Any IS41 headset upper would work.
Not sure on internal routing on ti-carbon - it never hurts to ask when at Firefly.
19 months is too long for me!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
19 months is too long for me!

no kidding. It keeps getting longer.

Though I’m impressed at the volume of consistently excellent production coming out of FF. Not an easy thing to manage.

Instagram
Old 03-15-2019, 01:55 PM

This is so good, Steve. Love the ISP!
Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM

That looks special - use in good health.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
It doesn't work like that. The geometry is set up for an internal HS. Just not sure about the ISP. Does FF do an internal brake hose on the ti / carbon? Nice ride btw!
I’ve asked—unfortunately, no internal routing of brake cables on the ti-carbon frames. Black cables blend in with the carbon, so they’re not as noticeable as external cables on an all-ti frame.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Somewhere here or there was a thread that discussed the concept for a 650b road bike. The emphasis was on a bike having all the manners and response of a good road bike but with moderately sized 650b tires for extra comfort, traction and fun. This concept steers away somewhat from 650b gravel bikes that are more relaxed and oriented toward unpaved adventuring. Maybe this is splitting hairs, but the distinction means something to me as I celebrate the gospel of snappy bikes wearing chubby tires.

Then along came the middle length Whisky RD+ fork, a printed titanium yoke and a conversation about ti-carbon. Stars aligned. The good folks at Firefly brought my vision to life in spectacular form.

Kitted with Force 1x, Easton hbars and crank, Compass Babyshoes on G27s, and various White Industries items, this immaculate frameset brings it all together just right with variously dimensioned carbon tubes, short beefy chainstays, skinny seatstays and the ever-polarizing-but-truly-custom ISP. I love the green bits.

My brief initial impressions are that the pedaling is pleasantly stiff&responsive, and the ride is remarkably quiet. It steers like a road bike too. 44x11-32 has the gears I like.
It’s worth noting that this bike fits 650bx2.1 and a large 700c as well, with no compromise of the original goal. Fenders will go on. This is all a neat trick.
Btw, Steve, I think the thread you were thinking of was Justin B’s from ath. When he started the thread, he didn’t mention what bike he was thinking of, and there was a lot of speculation, but he never said anything. The bike he was thinking of was actually a stock bike—the Specialized Venge.

Your bike reminds me of my first Firefly, number 455. I believe that it was the first ti-carbon Firefly optimized for 650B. The more limited fork options at the time, and being pre-3D-printed yoke days, meant that no. 455 was/is more of an all-road bike than a road bike with fat tires. A friend now owns it, and rides it on everything from road rides to D2R2.