Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Tall Della Santa

65x61cm DS that you may have seen previously bouncing around on the list. Picked it up last year and finally got it on the road this week.

Beautiful lugged goodness from Roland. I recognize this should probably have a Campy build but I am a Shimano guy and I wanted to try out newer-generation 11spd. I found a cheap 105 R7000 group so now the sacrilegious cycle is complete :-P. The rest of the build is a mish-mash of stuff mostly from my parts bin. Pictured with flat pedals as my clipless shoes are too small for the double wool socks that were required for today's springtime maiden voyage.

Still working on the fit but I like the thing so far. I haven't ridden tires this narrow in a while so it is a bit of an experiment to see if there's an appetite there. Missing my Compass 35s a little so we'll see how we do.

KJ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6337.jpg (156.9 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by xnetter; 03-10-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 PM

Nice job on the build. Glad the frame went to a good home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 PM

I was wondering where this one went ---- congrats! Even with it being a full size or more big for me, that was one of the best riding bikes I was on last year. I'm betting you'll have many years of happy miles on it
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 PM

don't think too many haters will be around because of the shimano group. the bike looks fantastic!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I was wondering where this one went ---- congrats! Even with it being a full size or more big for me, that was one of the best riding bikes I was on last year. I'm betting you'll have many years of happy miles on it
Your pictures and impressions of it certainly helped me make the decision to give it a shot

KJ
Old 03-11-2019, 01:25 PM

Beautiful frame. That is indeed a tall DS!

How tall are you? I'm 6'5" and while I used to like to ride a slightly smaller frame, my stable is now all 63cm seat tube with a 59ish top tube.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearsom View Post
Beautiful frame. That is indeed a tall DS!

How tall are you? I'm 6'5" and while I used to like to ride a slightly smaller frame, my stable is now all 63cm seat tube with a 59ish top tube.
I'm about 6'4". Saddle height is around 86cm.

KJ
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM

I think we need to meet up some day so that I can see this thing in person!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I think we need to meet up some day so that I can see this thing in person!
For sure! Send me a DM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 AM

I thought about buying that frame at least a dozen times but talked myself out of it because it was a tad small for me. I have an 86cm saddle height too, so apparently I am wrong again.

Are those 28mm tires?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
I thought about buying that frame at least a dozen times but talked myself out of it because it was a tad small for me. I have an 86cm saddle height too, so apparently I am wrong again.

Are those 28mm tires?
I too agonized over it - I was also concerned it would be too small. I had to use a 25* stem to get the bars where I like them but otherwise it fits well. The slack seat tube angle helps.

Yes, they are Corsa G+ 700x28. The frame could probably take a 32 but the design of the R7000 brake calipers limits things.

KJ
Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
Yes, they are Corsa G+ 700x28. The frame could probably take a 32 but the design of the R7000 brake calipers limits things.

KJ
Dig the simple paint job ... and even if you went full-Campy, Roland would still find something to quip about. Pretty sure he had a comment or two about my 11-speed build, haha. Other than riding my DS, hanging out in the shop with him & Jake a few times was definitely my favorite part of the experience.

How's the clearance between your front tyre and the fork crown? I'm on a much smaller DS (58cm) and get pebbles wedged between the top of my 28mm tyre and the fork crown from time to time.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post
Dig the simple paint job ... and even if you went full-Campy, Roland would still find something to quip about. Pretty sure he had a comment or two about my 11-speed build, haha. Other than riding my DS, hanging out in the shop with him & Jake a few times was definitely my favorite part of the experience.

How's the clearance between your front tyre and the fork crown? I'm on a much smaller DS (58cm) and get pebbles wedged between the top of my 28mm tyre and the fork crown from time to time.
A good amount of room. Might change the brakes later to maximize the clearance and get a slightly larger tire in there. Or not. The ride is pretty snappy and these 28s are pretty comfy so no complaints.

KJ
Old 03-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Nice looking ride!