Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-02-2019, 01:16 AM

Seven Axiom SLX - Re-homed

Update: the Seven is headed to a new home in sunny California...

---------

In like a lion..

Another acquisition from afar that turned into a bit of a friendship, or at least kinship, between buyer and seller over appreciations of all things cycling. This one has almost lead to me buying another (link) that the same gentleman has and may need to part with due to some health circumstances. More on that one later, maybe.

So, the rig at hand:

Seven Axiom SLX w a Seven 5E fork. Massive 35mm DT and 32mm TT, w at least 1" stays. 61cm TT. 21cm HT. 74/72.5. 41.5cm stays. 68mm drop. Built for 25s officially, but fits 28s on 25mm rims - limiting factor being the chainstays. The construction is amazing - welds are flawless and beautiful, as expected.

I unboxed last night and had it on the road this afternoon - sunny and low-50s in Portland today and tomorrow - for a brief shakedown ride. Tomorrow will be 50-60mi.

This is the before:

And this is what it looks like today:

Once the rain returns, it'll be stripped down and rebuilt with Record 11 and Nemesis tubs - nothing wrong with the DA and HEDs, I just have my preferences.

The ride? Snappy as can be. Stiff, of course, but fun. Very intuitive handling. And the sizing feels good - my Kirk is a 60cm TT that I run with a 130 stem - this is a 61cm TT that I'll run with a 120 stem (off almost the same angles and with similar drop). It's difficult to give a comparison to other road rides right now just because I've been on a gravel bike with fat tires for a while - everything feels stiff at the bars next to something with 35mm tires run at 35 psi... Remembering back to the recent CSI though - it feels quite similar. The CSI flexed a bit more, but harmonically and not inefficiently. The stiffness of the two forks seems about the same. And they both handle like top-class road bikes. There is a bit more clearance on the Seven though - enough that I could run full fenders on it, using the wheels/tires shown - and that's a bonus.

Anyway, I was curious enough to give this one a go. I think it may be my bike I take traveling and use for training or early-season road events that I'm not ready to sully my Kirk in just yet.

It would be a lot of fun to ride this one back to back with the Holland that CPamplin has now. And I will get a chance to ride it back to back with my brother's No. 22 at some point.

Last edited by Clean39T; 03-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:35 AM

A very nice rig.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Nice one. Looks great.

The campy build and tubulars will give it a few more points. This one looks like an all weather keeper.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
Nice one. Looks great.

The campy build and tubulars will give it a few more points. This one looks like an all weather keeper.
It'd treat you well - if you could handle not having 15cm of drop

It is one stiff daddy, even with my post-winter largess.

But handles great.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:02 PM

Weird question - what brakes do you have there?

I'm wondering how well a set of silver 6700 brakes would match the group I have on my MXL, and this bike is set up with an almost identical drivetrain to what I have on that bike. "Hidden cable" Shimano STIs limit the number of compatible brake options.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:36 PM

Ha. I hear that.
We will see. All yours - for now.

That one would make a nice travel bike for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
It'd treat you well - if you could handle not having 15cm of drop

It is one stiff daddy, even with my post-winter largess.

But handles great.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Weird question - what brakes do you have there?

I'm wondering how well a set of silver 6700 brakes would match the group I have on my MXL, and this bike is set up with an almost identical drivetrain to what I have on that bike. "Hidden cable" Shimano STIs limit the number of compatible brake options.
7800 I think - I'll take some photos, and you can have them cheap if you want them...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
Ha. I hear that.
We will see. All yours - for now.

That one would make a nice travel bike for you.
It does. Relatively low investment, and good geo for all day rides. I think the tubs will help mellow things out a bit.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
7800 I think - I'll take some photos, and you can have them cheap if you want them...

Oh, those do look like 7700s (different barrel adjusters than the 7700). I have some 7700s in the bin, but Shimano (and PL members) have recommended against using "exposed shift cable" generation brakes with "hidden shift cable" levers (and vice versa). Does this combo even work that well?

Either way, nice bike. Interested to see how it looks all Campy'ed out.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Oh, those do look like 7700s (different barrel adjusters than the 7700). I have some 7700s in the bin, but Shimano (and PL members) have recommended against using "exposed shift cable" generation brakes with "hidden shift cable" levers (and vice versa). Does this combo even work that well?

Either way, nice bike. Interested to see how it looks all Campy'ed out.
They work fine, but they certainly aren't optimized for 25mm rims. They feel very on/off.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
They work fine, but they certainly aren't optimized for 25mm rims. They feel very on/off.

I don't think it's the rim width, as much as the fact that the lever pull on those shifters is optimized differently than what those brakes were designed for.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I don't think it's the rim width, as much as the fact that the lever pull on those shifters is optimized differently than what those brakes were designed for.
Interesting. Yeah, there is zero modulation. I figured it was because of the arms being splayed out further.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Well, after a little over 100mi over the last couple days, I can confidently, and disappointedly, say that this frame does not work for me. The fit is great and the handling is superb, but I'm probably 30-40lbs too light for it, or too underpowered for it. It's just too stiff for me. Maybe I should have known that since the Seven build sheet said "10" for drivetrain stiffness - I just figured since it said "5" for vertical compliance that it would have been somewhere in between. It's not so much vibration or road buzz, it's the feeling at the BB. I'm sure it'd be perfect for someone stronger and/or heavier. The construction is amazing on it. And it's in beautiful condition. Plus the clearance is more than adequate for a true road frame.

So, it'll be in the classifieds after getting torn down and photographed. C'est la Vie. Was fun to give it a whirl and learned/confirmed some things in the process.

UPDATE :: the Seven is headed to a new home - one that can give it the watts it deserves -

Last edited by Clean39T; 03-05-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Well, after a little over 100mi over the last couple days, I can confidently, and disappointedly, say that this frame does not work for me. The fit is great and the handling is superb, but I'm probably 30-40lbs too light for it, or too underpowered for it. It's just too stiff for me. Maybe I should have known that since the Seven build sheet said "10" for drivetrain stiffness - I just figured since it said "5" for vertical compliance that it would have been somewhere in between. It's not so much vibration or road buzz, it's the feeling at the BB. I'm sure it'd be perfect for someone stronger and/or heavier. The construction is amazing on it. And it's in beautiful condition. Plus the clearance is more than adequate for a true road frame.

So, it'll be in the classifieds after getting torn down and photographed. C'est la Vie. Was fun to give it a whirl and learned/confirmed some things in the process.

UPDATE :: the Seven is headed to a new home - one that can give it the watts it deserves -

By "watts," I think you mean "pounds." No bike really deserves my pounds though.