Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2024, 09:17 AM

Parlee Altum/ BMC roadmachine opinions/reviews

I am looking at/for a CF endurance bike on the pre owned side. The Parlee Altum and the roadmachine fits my geo needs and they seem to be well respected on my web searches. I have found some on the usual sites as well as a few NOS both RB and DB.
I know max tire is around 28 on the Parlee and 32ish on the RM.
Looking at any input from others that have owned/ridden these bikes.
Old 10-09-2024, 10:04 AM

Altum

I still have my Altum Frameset. 2018 vintage, not the 'R' variant. I believe that one (R) was built to be somewhat less stiff. Really enjoyed this bike. Haven't ridden it in about four years as I have built up other bikes, but did put about 5,000 miles on it. Ran 28's pretty easily. Found it to be quite responsive, and very comfortable on longer rides. Frame is very accommodative in terms of groupsets. I ran Etap AXS and Campy EPS, but easily supports mechanical and di2 as well with different port covers. Mine is rim brake. Went with what was a 'semi-custom' paint option, which at the time they are offering at no uncharge. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Old 10-09-2024, 12:33 PM

Love my Altum, it rides very well. And Parlee has been a great company to work with.
Aside from the tire clearance difference, some online articles bitch about the PF30 bottom bracket. I've never had any issues.

I don't think you could go wrong with either bike, test ride `em both!
Old 10-09-2024, 12:39 PM

Altum owner here, rim brake and Etap equipped. I’m running GP5000s at 28 mm, plenty of clearance with that size. Picked the frame up used from a forum member a few years back.

Great riding bike, handles great and comfortable enough for long days on the road. Highly recommended if you can find one at a reasonable price.

I suppose my only complaint would be the aesthetics……..it’s got a sloping top tube, which I’m not a fan of. Some don’t care for the head tube design, it never really bothered me as much as the top tube does.
Old 10-09-2024, 12:46 PM

RoadMachine owner.

I run Enve AR4.5 with 33mm Challenge Strade Bianche tires. It's a great setup for all but the gnarliest of gravel roads.
Old 10-09-2024, 04:28 PM

Another vote for the Altum (LE, rim brake) ... running on Panaracer Agilest tubeless 28's ... I think it really hits a sweet spot between compliance and responsiveness. And can be built to sub-17 lbs without much effort/expense.
Old 10-09-2024, 04:37 PM

Great info on the Altum. The BMC RM has a longer reach than the Parlee. The geo of the Parlee is close to my Ti Desalvo. I love the Desalvo and ride it often but I want to add a CF bike to the fleet of metal that I have.
28c tires are fine. I don’t really need larger on a road bike. I run 30c on the steel AR Cycles.
Just waiting to hear from ppl on a couple full built bikes.
Really digging this one
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3919814/
Looking at this one too.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3847171/
Old 10-09-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
RoadMachine owner.

I run Enve AR4.5 with 33mm Challenge Strade Bianche tires. It's a great setup for all but the gnarliest of gravel roads.
I agree.

My road set up is a 1 1/2 yr old BMC Road Machine with 3T carbon road wheels that perfectly fit 700x30 tires and are compliant and fast for what I am a bit concerned about are called a senior member of the list. Can I ask to be demoted to being a junior member again? Prob not.