Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2023, 07:22 AM

All shoes fit so damn different. You folks in the US are lucky to have so many mail order houses with free shipping so you can try and return multiple pairs.

Anyway, as someone with very difficult feet, my vote goes to either:

1. As flat a shoe as possible that is also wide enough, paired with a custom insole.

or

2. Full custom from Lamson.

I'm currently using #2.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernium View Post
Bikecloset has some in the Giro colorway, stared at them for a good few weeks, ended up buying another bike...
Thanks for the info...
Old 10-02-2023, 08:15 PM

did a little over 100 miles today with the new Lake cx1's and not a single second did I give one thought to my feet.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:01 AM

Does anyone have experience with Quoc Mono II Road Shoes or the newest Quoc M3 Air? Look great but have seen some talk about a poor fit in the heel after use.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:17 AM

Best shoe I've had so far is Lake. CX238. Got them early last summer. Love them and it's the first time in quite a few years that I literally forget about my feet and just ride. Probably will get some custom insoles this year. Well made too it seems.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:17 AM
what's a little rust?

How are shoes with knit construction holding up? If anyone is using them …
Old 03-28-2024, 12:18 PM

Currently on Lake CX403 WIDE (I think they call it REGULAR now, and the former EXTRA WIDE are now just WIDE). They are great, even though it was hard to make the heat molding work for my left foot. I think heat molding is meant more to shrink the ankle box than to widen it. Anyway, after a lot of work, I made it work and they are perfect. One thing I don´t like is that the kangaroo leather is really thin, which combined with my toe overlap makes for a terrible combination.

I also have the Lake CX238, but my ankles felt loose. Every other shoe I have tried has been way to narrow for my feet.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Yunge View Post
Currently on Lake CX403 WIDE (I think they call it REGULAR now, and the former EXTRA WIDE are now just WIDE). They are great, even though it was hard to make the heat molding work for my left foot. I think heat molding is meant more to shrink the ankle box than to widen it. Anyway, after a lot of work, I made it work and they are perfect. One thing I don´t like is that the kangaroo leather is really thin, which combined with my toe overlap makes for a terrible combination.

I also have the Lake CX238, but my ankles felt loose. Every other shoe I have tried has been way to narrow for my feet.
I have both. The CX238 was/is my shoe for years with great results. I also have a new pair of CX403 and I also have been underwhelmed by the heat molding of the insole, but we'll see how that goes when I get out on them....
Old 03-28-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I have both. The CX238 was/is my shoe for years with great results. I also have a new pair of CX403 and I also have been underwhelmed by the heat molding of the insole, but we'll see how that goes when I get out on them....
I meant the heat molding of the ankle area, not the insoles. Actually, the issue I had was at the end of the Carbitex moldable zone, almost at the mid foot. It produced a hot spot that was really hard to get better. Now I absolutely love the shoes, and wouldn`t buy anything else. Quite tempted to buy a spare at half the price at the current sale.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I've tried on a bunch of riding shoes. Most of them seem to be of the "European fit" variety, which means super long and narrow. I just can't fit my feet into those.

For me, Specialized shoes have been incredible. Super consistent sizing, so I know that a 45 is going to be comfortable on me throughout the range. They have a nice tight heel but a generous toe box, which to me works just great. And their aftermarket insoles (Body Geometry?) solved a lot of issues I was having.

Plus, I've found that you can often get a discount off the listed price on high-end shoes if you buy them in-store.

I don't even have to think about it any more. Specialized shoes have earned my hard-earned dollar.
Me too.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
How are shoes with knit construction holding up? If anyone is using them …
I have some Giro knit ones that I wear in the summer. They're holding up fine but don't have a ton of miles on them yet (maybe 1000?). I do try to avoid riding them in rain or gritty conditions as they're hard to clean.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Yunge View Post
I meant the heat molding of the ankle area, not the insoles. Actually, the issue I had was at the end of the Carbitex moldable zone, almost at the mid foot. It produced a hot spot that was really hard to get better. Now I absolutely love the shoes, and wouldn`t buy anything else. Quite tempted to buy a spare at half the price at the current sale.
I caved in and bought a backup pair of CX241s. I also bought a pair of MX241s and I don't currently have an SPD equipped bike; the price was that hard to pass up.

Here's the site, the flash sale ends on April 1st.
https://www.lakecycling.com/collections/outlet
Old 03-29-2024, 07:34 AM

The original DMT VEGA, because fitting nice and indestructible.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:36 AM

As one who is always looking for "sale" pricing, last year I purchased a pair of Sidi Genius 10 46.5 to replace my 20-year-old Sidi Dominator 46.5 M shoes. My feet are 12 EE and I wasn't sure the standard width would work, however I took the chance because the "sale" price from the Bike Closet was extremely aggressive. I'm happy to say that the Genius 10 are very comfortable and the stiffness of the sole is a noticible improvement over the Dominators. In days past, I also wore multiple pairs of Vittoria shoes.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:11 AM

Mainly ride Sidi - Genius for the last couple of decades until picking up a pair of Ergo a couple of years ago. They fit my feet, have longer second toe and foot width is on the wider side, so get the mega. Comfortable with good stiffness.

Pricing on Bike Closet induced temptation to stock up.