Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
I'm not so much saying that you can only change one variable, but that understanding the relationship between STA and other dimensions is important to understanding how the contact points all relate and how to achieve the desired fit on a new bike. This is in response to a comment (implication really) from someone that there's no reason to look at STA. My assertion is that STA is as important as any other measurement to understand a bike and what positions can be achieved.

That said, I have 6 road bikes and most of them use the same saddle, same bars, and same group. The bikes are different and my fit is achieved by seatposts of different setback or stems of different length. I have a few friends who have even less variation than me from one setup to another and the main variable is really just the frame.
Well, I have kind of argued both sides of this, because I prefer to use STA and TT to evaluate reach. But I don't think any "road bike" that is meant to be sat on like a road bike is going to have an STA that is going to prevent you from getting into position with the right seat post. Most people's positions allow them to even go up or down a size by simply changing the stem length, so frame geometry is normally not so restrictive.