Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 04:34 AM

What are your other components like finish wise? Same question about your frame in terms of primary or secondary color choices.

Are they gloss black? If so an edge to R9100. On the other hand if you have a more matte or grey color pallet, edge to R8000.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:30 AM

If going mechanical:

Go wrap your hands around a set of Campy 11 brifters, click the buttons and squeeze the brakes from various positions.

Go wrap your hands round a set of Shimano brifters, click the buttons and squeeze the brakes from various positions.

Whichever you like best, buy that brand. Pick Chorus or Ultegra if you want a thinking person's group. Pick Record or Dura Ace if you want a bit of extra bling. Pick Super Record if you're a douchenozzle.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 AM

Maybe you could find some nice Superbe Pro...
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Classic Paceline. Thread started about Shimano, replies make it all about Campy.

Ultegra is 100% worthy of a Kirk. If you want the wider range over DA, it's a no brainer. They are also cross-compatible, so you can always run an Ultegra cassette/RD with DA everything else.

If you're concerned about things getting dinged up from riding on gravel, no sense in spending extra for the nicer finish quality on DA.

Also, seems like R9100/R8000 might have been a slight downgrade in quality and level of finish from 9000/6800, which have been exceptional in my experience.

RE: missed or "sticky" multiple shifts, sounds like an installation problem. The shifting action needs the newest "slick" cables and housing, Ultegra or DA level cable kits will be a huge improvement over standard bike shop bulk parts.
Quote:
I have been strictly a Campy man up to now
The OP mentioned it first, to be fair..BUT, as mentioned, I'd do a mix(unless the 'kit' makes it way more $, or tougher)..or go with ultegra..fine stuff. After looking at it and such, not sure why DA is SO much more expensive....

But, $ for $, I'd do Chorus or Potenza->
Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 AM

My lovely Kirk JKS arrived in September. I set it up with Ultegra r8000, having done the Eriksen with Dura-Ace and an Ultegra RD. The Ultegra is unobtrusive in every respect : functionally, it just works just right; visually, it just disappears with its dark colorway. There is no disappointment at all. The DA complements the Eriksen, and who knows, will perhaps prove more durable, but for the mix of riding done on the Kirk (primarily SW France), the gearing range of the Ultegra is very nice. I’ve nothing against Campy, where the aesthetics of some of their gruppos are particularly appealing, but the value proposition on Ultegra, and familiarity I guess, is compelling. One thing to note if you go Ultegra: pay particular attention to the cable routing for the RD and FD. Not hard, but important.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Dura ace group ebay is only about 1,500, considering the frame (and assume bling seatpost/stem, etc - bike deserves it.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Maybe you could find some nice Superbe Pro...
Raced on that stuff against the Campy crew years ago. It held up remarkably well...……….
Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
if you've not tried it, you and your last bike deserve it. Go all DA, then add Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur and go climbing with a big cassette. Cables are for retro grouches .
Di2 is great if you want to finish rides stuck in one gear.

I've seen too many Di2 failures to recommend......and the mouse farts.......
Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Dura ace group ebay is only about 1,500, considering the frame (and assume bling seatpost/stem, etc - bike deserves it.
DA 9100 is $1349, and Record 12 is $1270, I would go with Record 12.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...set-97454.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagn...et-120859.html
Old 05-21-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
If going mechanical:

Go wrap your hands around a set of Campy 11 brifters, click the buttons and squeeze the brakes from various positions.

Go wrap your hands round a set of Shimano brifters, click the buttons and squeeze the brakes from various positions.

Whichever you like best, buy that brand. Pick Chorus or Ultegra if you want a thinking person's group. Pick Record or Dura Ace if you want a bit of extra bling. Pick Super Record if you're a douchenozzle.
I like this way of thinking. I use campagnolo because the levers feel better in my girly hands than sram and shimano. its only a bonus its Italian and looks nicer.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:54 AM

i went with Dura Ace on my last bike but opted for the Ultegra chain and cassette but on the current build which is disk i see the disk set up is the same between ultegra and dura ace except for some black paint, if you want a 32 cog on the cassette you are forced into ultegra and the cranks now are painted more similar than ever. i could go on but basically it became harder than ever to justify the extra expense of dura ace over ultegra
Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions from our paceline community. I think the best solution for me is Dura Ace group is the 8000 RD so I can use a 11 - 34 cassette. I am 66 and that cassette will help me get up hills at my age.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:10 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Record 12 is $1270, I would go with Record 12
That is attractive deal to be sure IMO.

I see that 12 speed has a 11-29 cassette. Just made me think, is there going to be a 12-29 12 speed Cassette? For me that kinda makes it 11 speed as compared to my 12-29 11 Speed groups. Not to start the 11t cog fight, just for me though....

FWIW; I still use a 14-28 Juniors cassette on one bike with 36/53 Rotor Ovals.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
That is attractive deal to be sure IMO.

I see that 12 speed has a 11-29 cassette. Just made me think, is there going to be a 12-29 12 speed Cassette? For me that kinda makes it 11 speed as compared to my 12-29 11 Speed groups. Not to start the 11t cog fight, just for me though....

FWIW; I still use a 14-28 Juniors cassette on one bike with 36/53 Rotor Ovals.
I have 11-32 on my Record12 group. I'll rarely use the 11 and would prefer 12-32 or even 13-32, but alas... Also rarely use the 32, but it's nice to know it's there for the odd 20% wall climbs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 AM

A recently deceased cycling mentor of mine once said that he could never afford to drive an F-1 car, but he could reasonably afford to have the same equipment used in the pro peloton. I've used this as justification to ride Dura Ace, and I've been doing it for years. I've had Ultegra stuff too. It works. Just depends what you want.

The thing I see zero benefit from, however, is a Dura Ace cassette. For the price difference, I say no way. I've ridden Ultegra cassettes for the most part. The Dura Ace cassettes I've had have been throw-ins that came with a used wheel set.

As far as Campy vs Shimano, it all works. Depends on taste. I like Campy stuff a lot too.