Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
From what I read it's 50/50 on which last longer. Some say lower end groupos like 105 last longer because more steel parts are used, yet the others say DA would last longer due to higher engineering tolerance. I personally root for 105 lasting longer than Ultegra and DA because I believe more material used and more steel than alloy is more resistant to wearing... Not to mention everything is cheaper to replace on 105 from RD pulleys to shifter hoods.
Isn't more a case of heavier alloy parts due to cheaper alloys which will wear faster. Thinking quality of pivots big factor for wear/longevity. Bearings or better bushings etc.

It may well be moot for the average owner/cyclist that does not pile thousands of mile per season I suppose. How many 50 mile 5+ year old bike you see on Craigslist for example. Non use, wear irrelevant.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I don't want to start another campy-shimano debate, but my honest opinion is that ultegra is easier to acquire ( comes oem on most bikes), less expensive, functions ok, disc brakesare proven, looks good from a distance. The finish of chorus is far better, shifting is crisper (and stays crisper), ergo levers far better, disc brake less known.
You sure know how to sell it.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
I know that Dave has used Dura Ace and I think he has now also tried Etap.
The question is how are you planning to use it. didn't you say you were going to have two wheelsets and plan to ride some gravel? I just built a gravel bike and disc brakes are a must for dirt...sure rims brakes will work, but if you want to talk about the right weapon for task, hydro disc is my choice.

A buddy just got a bike built with etap 12 AXS and loves it! I've got DA mechanical on a road bike and 2 bikes with DA Di2. the question is why not consider electronic shifting? I still have 3 bikes on campy, but if I'm building a new bike, it's going to be electronic and hydro disc. At least go and test ride it.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 PM

Don't get Campy, get Dura Ace, you know you want to.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
But what of duration of function? As in expectation of length of use [miles?] prior to having to replace, etc?
My guess is the 105 group is good for 25,000+ miles if you keep it clean and regularly replace the chain before it elongates.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:11 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
My guess is the 105 group is good for 25,000+ miles if...
If you weight 135 lb?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 PM

Do you put accessories from JC Whitney on your pristine '67 big block Corvette convertible, or do you go for top shelf NOS parts?

In other words, assuming you like the modern new stuff, go Dura Ace or Super Record. Anything less and you'll be justifying the choice to yourself or others. If this is your last bike, make it count. Shop smart, shop S-Mart!

Old 05-20-2019, 11:15 PM

upgrayedd

5-arm Campy Super Record 11 mechanical would be a good choice.

I don't recall a better time to buy/sell groups; try some 10sp, 11sp, 12sp and then pass on what you don't prefer.

You'll get to build and rebuild and rebuild
Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Fogrider, 95% road 5% gravel. I dont want electronic shifting and disc brakes add weight. Simply a road bike with the ability to go off road occasionally.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

I’ve run both Ultegra and Dura Ace for the last 30 plus years. They both work well and you’ll be happy with either. If you can run a wider cassette with the Ultegra that will allow you to keep pushing the same hills more easily for a few more years then for at least the RD there’s your answer. You could have DA for all the other bits and have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 AM

Gasman,
I like that idea. Best of both.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:48 AM

There is no shame in Ultegra! The R8000 is a great groupset and if its set up properly it works great! I think you would be hard pressed to pick the difference between DA and ULT blindfolded. Value for money makes Ult r8000 the #1 choice for many.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:45 AM

11-34 works only with the Ultegra RD.
If you still want the bling and the weight of the DA (and are ready to pay for it) then make a full DA but with the Ultegra RD.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:10 AM

Just to add another angle, I think Dura Ace 9000 was the pinnacle of mechanical DA. 9100 is great, but 9000 was quieter and I like the way it looks. I have a 9000 group set that I’ve been moving from frame to frame just because it works so well.

Functionally, there are only a few components that I think DA does better than Ultegra (front derailleur, brakes and maybe shifters). If I were going to splurge, it would be on wheels, as that affects ride quality.

I will say that my steel Cinelli with 9100 is a pleasure to ride. It is all so simple that once things are stet up, it just works.

If it were my Kirk, I’d put DA on it, just because it is a special frame.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 AM

I'm a Campy guy, but I tried Ultegra mechanical and can find nothing wrong with it. Spending more for Dura Ace might not be "necessary", but you might enjoy it more. You probably already know that swapping between carbon rims and aluminum Belgiums calls for changing brake pads as the pads used on aluminum can pick up shards and scratch the carbon. Sorry if this is info you already knew.
Enjoy your new ride.