Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Seramount does the Dura Ace function different from Ultrgra or does it simply look nicer and built to a higher standard?
braking is similar, but the shifting feels slightly 'crisper'...but, no way to measure that.

lighter, nicer finish...insurance paid for it, what's not to like?
Old 05-20-2019, 05:47 PM

FWIW - I have 9100 shifters on my Firefly, RS685 shifters on the Anderson and Litespeed, and 105 on the Bob Jackson. I really doubt if blindfolded I could tell the shifting quality of the 9100 from the RS685. The 105 is less crisp, but it's 10s and I think those all together don't shift as well as the 11s.

I'm running a Dura Ace 9100 RD and it shifts an Ultegra 11-34 just fine. The FD is the R8000 Ultegra 'cuz I had it around. BTW, I had a Record 11 RD on there first, came with the bike, and the Record 11 stuff IMO shifted worse than the Shimano. I didn't have much of a dog in the Shimano/Campy fight, 'cuz I only switched to integrated shifters a couple of years ago, and I wanted to love the Campy.

I'd go Dura Ace on a custom Kirk, it "deserves" the best! That's why I put DA shifters, RD, and brakes on the Firefly. The Dura Ace brakes (I chose 9000, I liked the looks and they're a bit lighter) are the best caliper brakes I've ever ridden, and I'd just taken the Record 11 brakes off the bike.

Last edited by NHAero; 05-20-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
shifting feels slightly 'crisper'...but, no way to measure that.
I 'think', or it seems like the more plastic is in the shifter/brake lever/bat, the more it mutes the crisp tactile feel the shifting reports upon the mechanism ratcheting.

They all feel buttery anymore Shimano wise I think, where as I used to say I like the 10s D/A better due to feeling more buttery. The downshifts anyway.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
FWIW - I have 9100 shifters on my Firefly, RS685 shifters on the Anderson and Litespeed, and 105 on the Bob Jackson. I really doubt if blindfolded I could tell the shifting quality of the 9100 from the RS685. The 105 is less crisp, but it's 10s and I think those all together don't shift as well as the 11s.

I'm running a Dura Ace 9100 RD and it shifts an Ultegra 11-34 just fine. The FD is the R8000 Ultegra 'cuz I had it around. BTW, I had a Record 11 RD on there first, came with the bike, and the Record 11 stuff IMO shifted worse than the Shimano. I didn't have much of a dog in the Shimano/Camoy fight, 'cuz I only switched to integrated shifters a couple of years ago, and I wanted to love the Campy.

I'd go Dura Ace on a custom Kirk, it "deserves" the best! That's why I put DA shifters, RD, and brakes on the Firefly. The Dura Ace brakes (I chose 9000, I liked the looks and they're a bit lighter) are the best caliper brakes I've ever ridden, and I'd just taken the Record 11 brakes off the bike.
Listen to this person...…...
Old 05-20-2019, 06:18 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Honest question: I’m thinking about building a new house. We have the choice of wood or metal studs. I don’t have any engineering experience. I’d like to get some opinions on wood vs metal.

Paceline Answer: Are you sure you should be buying a house right now? Renting seems like a more economical decision at this point. Or maybe get an RV instead and travel.
Chris FTW!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:48 PM

put the correct holes in the frame and get Di2

if you've not tried it, you and your last bike deserve it. Go all DA, then add Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur and go climbing with a big cassette. Cables are for retro grouches .
Old 05-20-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I own a Kirk with Ultegra mechanical on it. My only complaint is the cable started to disintegrate under the hood and little metal wires started to push through and poke my hand.
You do realize that this is the Early Warning System telling you that you need to replace your cable, don't you?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
You do realize that this is the Early Warning System telling you that you need to replace your cable, don't you?
Shimano might like me to believe that. I wish their early warning system was less pokey.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 PM

Buy what you think is the best , regardless of "value" or cost. It deserves what you think it should have. Don't have buyers remorse, that gets expensive!

My vote, get the top of the line group for what is a top of the line bike. Period.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:22 PM

Ask Kirk - it is his baby!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 PM

I know that Dave has used Dura Ace and I think he has now also tried Etap.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 PM

Just put full 9100 on my new Kirk

That said, if you really want to run a 34T cassette, I would probably do mostly 9100 with a long cage R8000 rear derailleur.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 PM

I'm very impressed with this generation's 105, apart from the weight there is no functional difference between DA, Ultegra or 105. a full Ultegra group is only $100 more than a 105 group anyways so I guess just go for the bling. From Ultegra to DA it's a bit more expensive but if 9100 kept 9000 series' distinctive silver/ black color scheme then it's worth it but since it's not I would say Ultegra is more than enough. Di2 is not a bad option either you can buy a full 8050 set with the money for DA9100. I used to hate electrical shifting until I started using it...
Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
apart from the weight there is no functional difference between DA, Ultegra or 105.
But what of duration of function? As in expectation of length of use [miles?] prior to having to replace, etc?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
But what of duration of function? As in expectation of length of use [miles?] prior to having to replace, etc?
From what I read it's 50/50 on which last longer. Some say lower end groupos like 105 last longer because more steel parts are used, yet the others say DA would last longer due to higher engineering tolerance. I personally root for 105 lasting longer than Ultegra and DA because I believe more material used and more steel than alloy is more resistant to wearing... Not to mention everything is cheaper to replace on 105 from RD pulleys to shifter hoods.