Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 PM

What an impressive performance from the Raps. Not sure what Milwaukee is doing by loading so hard on an obviously 75% Kawhi, but this is mostly about the Raps playing great.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 AM

Savage.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Think of the Warriors as the female angler fish and all those teams are like the male angler fish, wanting a piece of the Warriors.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
Think of the Warriors as the female angler fish and all those teams are like the male angler fish, wanting a piece of the Warriors.
Dude. That angler fish story is effed up.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 AM
needs adult supervision

Man, there were moments last night when Kawhi looked on his last leg. Depending on what the injury is, now that it's 2-2, is there something to be said for resting Kawhi game 5? Yes, it's a huge risk but could 4 days help in ways 48 hours just can't? Watching him last night, as gutsy as it was, couldn't help but feel he was one awkward landing from good night, Irene.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
What an impressive performance from the Raps. Not sure what Milwaukee is doing by loading so hard on an obviously 75% Kawhi, but this is mostly about the Raps playing great.
I think the Bucks are playing to the odds we've seen in the playoffs that Gasol, Lowry and Green are unlikely to deliver consistently for the Raptors as an offensive Plan B.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Man, there were moments last night when Kawhi looked on his last leg. Depending on what the injury is, now that it's 2-2, is there something to be said for resting Kawhi game 5? Yes, it's a huge risk but could 4 days help in ways 48 hours just can't? Watching him last night, as gutsy as it was, couldn't help but feel he was one awkward landing from good night, Irene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I think the Bucks are playing to the odds we've seen in the playoffs that Gasol, Lowry and Green are unlikely to deliver consistently for the Raptors as an offensive Plan B.
Kawhi and the team took a lot of static during the year for their "load management", but it's starting to become clear that it was necessary.

I think a lot of what we saw last night was Kawhi deciding that he couldn't do it all and making an effort to find his teammates earlier. The Raps have traditionally been playoff underperformers, but it's not like they have zero pedigree on that team.

Game 5 is the fulcrum of a 7 game series. I think he has to play. You can't spot your opponent a game in a best of 3 situation.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:09 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Kawhi and the team took a lot of static during the year for their "load management", but it's starting to become clear that it was necessary.

I think a lot of what we saw last night was Kawhi deciding that he couldn't do it all and making an effort to find his teammates earlier. The Raps have traditionally been playoff underperformers, but it's not like they have zero pedigree on that team.

Game 5 is the fulcrum of a 7 game series. I think he has to play. You can't spot your opponent a game in a best of 3 situation.
I agree it would be a risky strategy. But I think the Raptors will drop game 5 regardless. So if it comes down to two games, how much healthier could Kawhi get with added rest? Hey, I’m just playing out ideas here but based on last night, Kawhi’s health is a big worry. Sometimes going against the odds improves the odds...with some luck.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:

^^^this.

It’s a best of 3 series. If the health of the team is of priority you need to make sure you close the series out in 2 games.

Kawhi plays game 5 to optimize your chance of winning and then close in game 6.

Then you’ll get 5 days of rest
Old 05-22-2019, 01:18 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
^^^this.

It’s a best of 3 series. If the health of the team is of priority you need to make sure you close the series out in 2 games.

Kawhi plays game 5 to optimize your chance of winning and then close in game 6.

Then you’ll get 5 days of rest
You have the considerable weight of logic on your side. No argument there. But when has that ever stopped anyone here?

Just playing devil's advocate...Kawhi looked much worse last night than at the end of game 3. His health curve looks downward. The world doesn't end of the Raptors lose game 5. But it does end of Kawhi gets hurt worse and can't play in 6 or 7 if there is one. In my scenario (unconventional as it may be...or ok, just dumb) I expect Bucks to win game 5 at home, Raps come back with Kawhi to win 6 at home, then roll all the dice on game 7. I rest my wacky case.

Last edited by Climb01742; 05-22-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I agree it would be a risky strategy. But I think the Raptors will drop game 5 regardless. So if it comes down to two games, how much healthier could Kawhi get with added rest? Hey, I’m just playing out ideas here but based on last night, Kawhi’s health is a big worry. Sometimes going against the odds improves the odds...with some luck.
Charles Barkley, is that you?

Last edited by retrofit; 05-22-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:46 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
Charles Barkley, is that you?
I'm in good company!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You have the considerable weight of logic on your side. No argument there. But when has that ever stopped anyone here?

Just playing devil's advocate...Kawhi looked much worse last night than at the end of game 3. His health curve looks downward. The world doesn't end of the Raptors lose game 5. But it does end of Kawhi gets hurt worse and can't play in 6 or 7 if there is one. In my scenario (unconventional as it may be...or ok, just dumb) I expect Bucks to win game 5 at home, Raps come back with Kawhi to win 6 at home, then roll all the dice on game 7. I rest my wacky case.
I get what you’re saying and honestly I think it’s the best strategy to get out of the series. But it’s also the worst strategy to win the finals.

I’d rather squeak by the conference finals and have a rested Kawhi then roll the dice to get to the finals and have a gassed Kawhi playing an extremely hot Golden State team.

It’s all or nothing NOW. Remember. Toronto doesn’t have Kawhi under contract this year. If they lose he’s likely going to another team. If they win and get to the finals..... who knows
Old 05-22-2019, 04:32 PM
needs adult supervision

I realize my thinking is probably colored by watching Isaiah Thomas play injured for the Celtics and play his career into the ground. He did it for the team. He’s never been the same. I wondered back then if rest could have spared him the worst of it. I hope Kawhi isn’t chasing a victory that could cost him more. Playing hurt makes ‘sense’ until it doesn’t. As bummed as I was for IT, Kawhi would be a much bigger loss. Wasn’t it his quad last year too? Fingers cross.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
He did it for the team. He’s never been the same.
Good point. I followed IT because he played for my alma mater. It was painful to watch him play the hero, knowing he was also sacrificing his own earning power.