Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 PM

GravelKing SK too wide

I'm having a new all-road frame made that will accept up to 700x38c tires. I've been using 35c GravelKing SK tires on my current bike and to my surprise these tires measure 39.75mm mounted on NOX Citico rims (23mm internal width). So I realize the wide rim is adding some width to the tire, but an extra 5mm seems excessive.

Is this normal for GravelKing SKs? I know Panaracer updated the range recently, are the "new" 35c tires any narrower?

Can anyone recommend a similar fast gravel tire that would (in theory) mount up closer to 38mm?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:18 AM

Funny I mounted a set of 650x48 GK SK's and they measured 50mm on Hed Belgium Plus (not that wide of a rim).

Just mounted up a set of 650x42 GK's in the smooth tread, same wheels, and they are measuring on the skinny side at 39mm.

SPP
Old 05-22-2019, 03:31 AM

My 650b SK 48mm were definitely wider than the slick version by a few mm. I'd suggest trying a compass steilicoom if you're looking for a good knobby tire that still rolls good on pavement. Great riding tires IMO and truer to size

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 08:00 AM

I've gotten to the point where I need to say to people buying a frameset that it will fit a tire that "measures an actual XX mm" and not that it will fit a tire "marked XX mm."

Tire sizing is all over the place and rarely do tires measure to the same width as marked on the sidewall.

And of course none of this talks about how tall the tire is and in many cases that is the actual limiting factor.....one might have room for a actual 38 mm wide tire between the stays but will the height cause you trouble? Who knows?

dave
Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Administrator

The rim width bit is also a matter of perspective. I’m still running old open pros on some bikes that measure 19mm external, and using fat tires on them; so to me, those rims the OP is running are hugely wide!

With that kind of variation in rim widths currently in use out there; there is effectively no way tire manufacturers can tell you how wide their tires will be once mounted. I think we’re at the point where you must simply mount your desired tires on your desired rims and see what ya got.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM

I think you’ve maybe got tires from an early run. I had that same situation although it worked out to my benefit. I just measured my current 700x43 advertised sk’s on Belgium+’s at 43.18 and 43.38
Old 05-22-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I've gotten to the point where I need to say to people buying a frameset that it will fit a tire that "measures an actual XX mm" and not that it will fit a tire "marked XX mm."

Tire sizing is all over the place and rarely do tires measure to the same width as marked on the sidewall.

And of course none of this talks about how tall the tire is and in many cases that is the actual limiting factor.....one might have room for a actual 38 mm wide tire between the stays but will the height cause you trouble? Who knows?

dave
Exactly this!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
I think you’ve maybe got tires from an early run. I had that same situation although it worked out to my benefit.
I thought they recently resized many of the GK tires by rebadging them closer to actual size. But I certainly could be remembering wrong
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I thought they recently resized many of the GK tires by rebadging them closer to actual size. But I certainly could be remembering wrong
This definitely happened. What we currently know as GK-43 was originally GK-40. They renamed it 43 after it was clear that the casing was markedly larger than 40.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM

For another data point, I have the 700x43 SK mounted on 20mm internal width rims. They measure exactly 43mm at 30psi.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 AM
ZhugeLiang

Oh no...the wider the better...give it to me!
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM

A further confounding variable is that most of the SK Gravelkings (700x43 seems to be the exception) will grow from 2-4mm after a few rides if mounted tubeless. For example, I had a pair of the 650x48 SKs that measured 48.2mm on i23 rims that grew to a paint-rubbing 51.5mm. They might have kept growing too, but they didn't fit so I replaced them with Elwoods. I didn't notice this as much with my GK slicks of various sizes.

Just because your brand new tires fit doesn't mean they will continue to fit in perpetuity.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I'd suggest trying a compass steilicoom if you're looking for a good knobby tire that still rolls good on pavement. Great riding tires IMO and truer to size.
Took a look, but at 700x38c already, I fear these will be closer to 40-42mm when mounted on wide rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

dave
Definitely sympathize with the framebuilders on this. I believe I'm being a good customer by measuring first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
A further confounding variable is that most of the SK Gravelkings (700x43 seems to be the exception) will grow from 2-4mm after a few rides if mounted tubeless.
Yes, absolutely happened to me. When I mounted them up (last summer?) they were 37.5mm, so they've grown a little over 2mm since mounting.

Sounds like my options are:
  • Try GravelKing SK in 32c and hope that it expands to around 36-37mm.
  • Try a 'new' Graveking SK tire and hope that the updated 35c version is narrower.
  • Find a similar fast rolling small knob tire in the 34-36c range and hope it's narrower than the GK. Where to start??
    • Donnelly X'Plor MSO 32
    • Challenge Gravel Grinder Pro 33
    • WTB Exposure 34
    • Schwalbe G-One All-round 35
    • Kenda Flintridge Pro 35
    • Hutchinson Overide 35
    • IRC Boken 36
    • Donnelly X'Plor MSO 36
Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
Took a look, but at 700x38c already, I fear these will be closer to 40-42mm when mounted on wide rims.

Definitely sympathize with the framebuilders on this. I believe I'm being a good customer by measuring first!

Yes, absolutely happened to me. When I mounted them up (last summer?) they were 37.5mm, so they've grown a little over 2mm since mounting.

Sounds like my options are:
  • Try GravelKing SK in 32c and hope that it expands to around 36-37mm.
  • Try a 'new' Graveking SK tire and hope that the updated 35c version is narrower.
  • Find a similar fast rolling small knob tire in the 34-36c range and hope it's narrower than the GK. Where to start??
    • Donnelly X'Plor MSO 32
    • Challenge Gravel Grinder Pro 33
    • WTB Exposure 34
    • Schwalbe G-One All-round 35
    • Kenda Flintridge Pro 35
    • Hutchinson Overide 35
    • IRC Boken 36
    • Donnelly X'Plor MSO 36
Amen. I'm sure your builder is happy knowing the real deal.

dave
Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM

G-one all around measured right around 35 on my Reynolds ATR wheels. Also a great tire choice.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk