Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 PM
foo

Tuesday Tool Thread

Squirt is my new choice of chain lube. It's a drip-on wax-based concoction and offers all the benefits of wax without the hassle. It's very (very!) clean, quiet, and has good longevity. I have used drip-on wax-based lubes in the past (i.e., White Lightning) and they suck (sticky clump mess) so I was skeptical when I first tried it out.

I recently relocated to an area with much more rainfall and mud and need to wash my bikes more frequently. I was looking for a cleaner chain lube to save time. For me, Squirt works as advertised... there's no black stuff at all on the drivetrain to degrease or scrub... and no need for separate brushes or rags. I find bike cleaning now easily takes less than half the time.

Last edited by aosty; 04-17-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Scribe

Bringing this thread back to life with a shout out to this little fella:

It's one of these gizmos that I happen to grab all the time, countless uses.
Scribe, scratch, poke, pull...

Just recently, fiddling with the shifter cable on a Chorus 11 shifter, it worked perfectly to guide the cable up into the shifter body, rather than it coming out on the opposite side.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:20 PM
foo

Thanks for the bump @Gsinill ...I coincidentally hopped on here for the first time in weeks/months.

I love them pokey tools too.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM
foo

I had a problem with PB Swiss tool... they covered it and sent along a nice care package!

Old 05-05-2020, 10:51 AM

Still have to find use for them working on bikes, but I was tired fiddling with those cheapo ones with interchangeable heads.

Knipex as usual to the rescue.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Still have to find use for them working on bikes, but I was tired fiddling with those cheapo ones with interchangeable heads.

those are nice and yes theres nothing worse than the replaceable head ones. if i used these more than once every couple years, id buy the knipex too.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosty View Post
Squirt is my new choice of chain lube. It's a drip-on wax-based concoction and offers all the benefits of wax without the hassle. It's very (very!) clean, quiet, and has good longevity. I have used drip-on wax-based lubes in the past (i.e., White Lightning) and they suck (sticky clump mess) so I was skeptical when I first tried it out.

I recently relocated to an area with much more rainfall and mud and need to wash my bikes more frequently. I was looking for a cleaner chain lube to save time. For me, Squirt works as advertised... there's no black stuff at all on the drivetrain to degrease or scrub... and no need for separate brushes or rags. I find bike cleaning now easily takes less than half the time.

same here.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
same here.

Looks good, i may check it out. This past week I discovered really how much lube comes off your chain with just water.. its all of it! This muc-off lube I have is UV reactive and comes with a mini blacklight so you can see if all your chain is properly lubed. After a rinse with a garden hose, i found that the lube that I applied the night before was completely gone from the rinse. So more lubing for me!
Old 05-05-2020, 12:22 PM

You need them for circlips on mountain bike suspension fork overhauls. I have the cheap removeable head kind just for that purpose.

Quote:

Old 05-05-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
You need them for circlips on mountain bike suspension fork overhauls. I have the cheap removeable head kind just for that purpose.
yep, thats why i have them. my only use for them
Old 05-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Rockstruck

New calipers!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D3744BAB-CA0E-4ACC-8969-0F70EEB6F556.jpeg (144.1 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by RWL2222; 05-05-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Ha, I knew there is a use. Was thinking maybe for disc brakes but good to know in case I have to overhaul the fork on my 20 year old Gary Fisher Z0

Quote:
I just overhauled my LaPavoni esspresso machine when I broke one tip of my cheap pliers.
2 days without Java and I finally gave in to spend the money on a decent set.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks, now I need to get me a set of these for the once a year I change the saddle on my moots.

my tool addiction is getting bad.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:05 PM

I picked up a small anvil from a garage sale and the seller's wife had 2 really neat little Elna thumb oiler cans.
Didn't have any particular use at the time but they said "Swiss Made" and she only wanted 5 bucks for both so I couldn't resist (who would pass up anything Made in Switzerland for $5).

Turns out they fit perfectly into cable housing and came in really handy for oiling spoke nipples when I built my last set of wheels.
In the past I oiled all the spoke tips before starting lacing the wheels but this creates a mess on the rims.
Now I put on the nipple and then apply a little bit of oil inside. Works like a charm since the metal membrane at the bottom is perfect to get out a really small amount of oil.

Also turns out that those are quite collectable and sell on eBay for around $50!

Unfortunately, I lost my scriber that I posted above and which is one of the most useful things in my tool drawer.
Got a new one on Amazon which has a tip that is absolutely perfect to pick up and hold nipples for lacing.

Last edited by Gsinill; 06-16-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:01 PM
foo

Made a dough hook for quarantine baking... freehand bent some 1/4” stainless rod.