Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Jetstreams are nice, but you really need to try Schmidt refills - they're the cream of the rollerball crop. Some of the Retro 51 pens use them (rebranded). I have a Retro 51 "Joker" that's my official "Friday pen."

P-8127 (short) or the 8127 (long) refills are very, very good. The 8126 is a tad narrower (0.6 mm instead of 0.7). They aren't cheap, but it's worth trying them out.

If you're into writing (pens, notebooks, paper, etc.) there are lots of places to get lost on the web, but Jetpens.com is a good place to start.

Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 Hybrid Ballpoint Pen Refill - Medium Point (SCHMIDT 90021) are also nice, but IMO not quite as nice as 8127 or 8126 series.

Finally, if you're into machined pens, Karas makes some that can accommodate a huge variety of refills, including the Schimdts. I have a Karas EDK and a Render K.

Good Luck
Thanks Louis, I will give them a try. Not sure if I have a pen that will work with a Schmidt, but will see what I can do (goin down another rabbit hole).
Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 PM
commuter racer

Japanese pottery by Living Treasures ( now deceased).
Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Oh I know this struggle! I'm in the home audio rabbit hole as well as photography, skiing, and firearms big time. That is in addition to bicycling of course. Friends of mine have asked me to get into Golf. I know myself WAY too well to head down that path!

I completely forgot about the bag/backpack rabbit hole! Add that one as well. I just bought 2 rifle bags as if I needed them...
Whoa Dude, just how much disposable income do you have? Those are some very spendy interests not counting bicycles.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
Whoa Dude, just how much disposable income do you have? Those are some very spendy interests not counting bicycles.
Interestingly, going down the rabbit hole sometimes quenches the urge to buy really nice things. In most cases the research is a substitute for buying the most expensive items in a category, and instead points you toward products that are better values.

In some cases, the research just helps to prevent future regret -- atleast you know there isn't something out there offers a better price/benefit profile.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Every time we purchase something my wife goes down the rabbit hole. Drives me nuts. Reviews reviews reviews!!! To the point where you just give up.

Me? I just jump into the water and swim.

Guitars are a personal rabbit hole for me though I have to admit.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
As an added bonus, I went down a "cloud chasing" rabbit hole - the world of competitive vaping..
Seriously that is a real thing? TEHO.

I bought a new car recently so now I have moved on past consumer products to keep the paint shiny/swirl free/protected and have entered the world of pro level products and mechanical devices. This was on my radar yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...41092025d2cc72
Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
Seriously that is a real thing? TEHO.

I bought a new car recently so now I have moved on past consumer products to keep the paint shiny/swirl free/protected and have entered the world of pro level products and mechanical devices. This was on my radar yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...41092025d2cc72
carbon fiber accent
Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 AM
cmg

Just went through the process of demolishing a swimming pool. Didn't want spend another summer nursing it along. the pool maintenance was my rabbit hole, pool had single drain that had been concrete filled, pulled water from the skimmer basket. Like everything else i own the filtration system was cobbled together from used parts, not designed for the pool used on. It was this way for 15yrs, at least 4 different filtration systems, at first it was enjoyable, what i could make work, fighting the frog invasions after long periods of rain. have a lot parts left over that didn't get buried with the pool and the chemicals that go with it. got tired of talking about it. now i have to get tired of talking about the demolition. Wonderfully frustrating.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

To clarify, these don't have to be things you spend money on. I certainly don't/can't.

For example pens. I also know myself too well and know that if i started down the pen hole i'd never come back. But what almost got me into pens was Tim Ferris interviewing Neil Gaiman and hearing Neil Gaiman in his perfect voice describe his writing process. I mean the physical act of writing (ie the paper and pens he prefers) was enough to pique my interest.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM

LS engine swaps, vanlife, Miatas, grilling/smoking meat, garage organization...
Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 AM

spey fishing, sourdough bread, and knife sharpening.

these are a few of my favorite things
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM

My latest has been RV Solar with Lithium battery bank, I've over thought it 1000 times already and will another 100 times before I'm done. Still have parts to get and install hasn't even started.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:01 PM

Birddog, Matt hit the nail on the head pretty well with the research end of thing. I've been involved in these hobbies/passions on various levels for 30+ years. Not all the activities are full on all the time. Photography, Skiing, are pretty seasonal and situation dependent. Firearms and Cycling are the biggies though. Of the two Cycling is my first love but the firearms/shooting disciplines have cost the lions share of funds over the years.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
To clarify, these don't have to be things you spend money on. I certainly don't/can't.

For example pens. I also know myself too well and know that if i started down the pen hole i'd never come back. But what almost got me into pens was Tim Ferris interviewing Neil Gaiman and hearing Neil Gaiman in his perfect voice describe his writing process. I mean the physical act of writing (ie the paper and pens he prefers) was enough to pique my interest.
I agree. My home reno thing is partly a function of VERY limited $$$, but also for the inquiry of how things are actually made. As few may know, I am trained as an architect, but only learned how to DESIGN cool things, not how to MAKE them. I do something related, but different, for my job. No construction - just project management (aka endless emails)

I have actually loved the time spent in my yard figuring out these utterly simple things that many of you would know like the back of your hand because you've made things for years. The rabbit hole has been quite fun, to be honest.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 AM
cmg

going to be learning how to repair a chain link fence that was left undone by the pool demolisher. rather than removing at the corner of the yard at the post and rolling back the fabric they took a thread out and separated the halves. The disconnecting at the corner would require a fence puller/stretcher a winch and about $30 of fence ties. By removing a thread they didn't need any of that but not putting the halves back together would be much more difficult, of the pain in the ass variety, which is why they didn't do it. So will spend this afternoon watching about 20 youtube videos on chain link fence repair. to be followed by a trip to Home depot to see how i can adapt to what have learned. the rabbit hole begins............