Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Good question that I don't have an answer for. Maybe a white industries crank would be a nice option.
Or find a nice older square taper, triple, shimano or Campag...use 'short'/track CR bolts, use the middle position and small and you can go down into the mid-high 20s for the small ring...
Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
The Easton SL90 crank arms can be coupled with either single ring or double, direct mount. They offer 47/32, 46/30 and other road combos. bb options for almost all threaded or non threaded standards.

Super nice cranks.
Are the Easton cranks 24mm spindle? If yes, they also have a lower cost alloy version out now.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
are the easton cranks 24mm spindle? If yes, they also have a lower cost alloy version out now.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 AM

FSA make several. Or search eBay for seller bikinGreen who makes 5 bolt 110 bcd chainrings for $69. I have a NIB gossamer 46/30 I’m selling if interested PM me. $75

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
sugino OX901
Like fine jewelry.
I keep looking for an excuse to buy them.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Are the Easton cranks 24mm spindle? If yes, they also have a lower cost alloy version out now.
Yep. Easton makes the EC90 and EA90....Carbon and alloy. Same basic concept. direct mount Cinch interface, 30 spindle and a Easton bb for almost all the common standards.
White Industries makes a compatible T47, and there are others too - I have the WI T47 and an Easton 68mm threaded bb for another bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
sugino OX901
These are also very nice cranks. Sugino knows a thing or two about cranks.

Instagram
Old 05-21-2019, 08:44 AM

Question for Angry Scientist and SlowPokePete re Absolute Black 46-30 chainrings: Are you using these chainrings with 5 mm spacing between the front derailleur cage and the top of the 46 at maximum diameter as suggested in the installation video on the Absolute Black website? Is the shifting optimal with this much space? Or were you able to lower the front derailleur enough to reach the usual recommended 1 mm spacing between the front derailleur and 46-tooth chainring? My 2015 Domane front derailleur mounting bracket allows 1 mm spacing for a minimum 50-tooth round chainring or 48-tooth Absolute Black oval. I noticed that Absolute Black only recommends 5 mm spacing for the 46, and not for any other size, presumably because many older bikes simply don't allow putting the front derailleur in a lower position.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeauDL View Post
Question for Angry Scientist and SlowPokePete re Absolute Black 46-30 chainrings: Are you using these chainrings with 5 mm spacing between the front derailleur cage and the top of the 46 at maximum diameter as suggested in the installation video on the Absolute Black website? Is the shifting optimal with this much space? Or were you able to lower the front derailleur enough to reach the usual recommended 1 mm spacing between the front derailleur and 46-tooth chainring? My 2015 Domane front derailleur mounting bracket allows 1 mm spacing for a minimum 50-tooth round chainring or 48-tooth Absolute Black oval. I noticed that Absolute Black only recommends 5 mm spacing for the 46, and not for any other size, presumably because many older bikes simply don't allow putting the front derailleur in a lower position.
I have my FD adjusted to just clear the big chainring at the top of the oval, maybe 1mm spacing. obviously, since it's oval, there is more spacing at the "skinny" side of the chainring, but with the above mentioned FD position, shifting is great.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM

Absolute Black makes a 46-30 chainring set that will install in a Shimano road crank. They are oval, which put me off at first, but after using them they are great. Shift just fine BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Or find a nice older square taper, triple, shimano or Campag...use 'short'/track CR bolts, use the middle position and small and you can go down into the mid-high 20s for the small ring...
This can work, but in order to get a good chainline, you may have to use a wider spindle, resulting in a wider Q factor. That may not be ideal for smaller riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Why the reluctance for square taper? There's 94mm BCD square taper cranks out there that you can use as a double, just leaving off the inner ring.
This can also work, but unfortunately most of these cranks were MTB cranks, and therefore made in longer sizes (175mm or more). These cranks also often have wider Q factors than road cranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Otherwise, SRAM has a variety of cranks with removable spiders. Buy the crank you want, then swap in a "mountain" spider.
This is the option I eventually ended up with, due to the issues mentioned above (and for compatibility with press-fit bearing frames).
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
After the Farmer's Daughter ride this weekend my lovely wife has requested some lower gears. What are my option for a 46-30 crankset? The main caveat being a threaded bottom bracket with non oversized spindle. Her bike is Di2 and there isn't clearance for wires and a 30mm spindle. Would prefer to avoid square taper if possible. The only thing I've come up with so far is the just released Shimano FC-RX600 crank.
Wolf Tooth roadlink and an 11/36 cassette? Works great for me w a Centaur RD so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Wolftooth just announced AXS 12 chainrings for Easton crank and with more to come. I have the easton crank and like alot. If per chance you need a 177.5 I have a nice Speciaties TA crank - currently with 47-32 but that's easy to change that I need to move on, along with bottom bracket....
Old 05-21-2019, 05:17 PM

Gravel cyclist has answers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aSoS_K7adQ
Old 05-21-2019, 07:00 PM

never mind. I forgot about the wires! Praxis Zyante with BSA screw in bb?

won't that do the job?

https://praxiscycles.com/product/zayante/

I have a barely used alloy Zyante 48/32, 172.5 available, just the crankset.

Let me know if you have interest.

Last edited by eddief; 05-21-2019 at 07:10 PM.