Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I will reinforce and expand on a point mentioned by some others. A camping bike and a randonneur bike are two different things. At quick glance, they may share some features, but the intended use is quite different. This point goes to the weight difference. A proper randonneur bike should ideally be made with nice light tubing…probably lighter than a racing bike, everything else being equal. All of the added on items are there to make things more convenient on a long ride. To make all of it work properly without messing things up is not so simple a task and it is a recipe for a bike builder to go crazy, broke or both. The few who master the task are to be commended. Unless you are fully committed to going down the rabbit hole, there is no reason that somebody couldn’t do long events/rides very comfortably on a nice racing style bike that accommodates the tire width needed for the surfaces to be encounters (I should note that I am not a full participant in the current mega wide tire trend). Beyond that, a fully dedicated bike would only provide some marginal gains like, perhaps: slightly wider tires that would likely be an advantage on only the worst sections of road; better mounting provisions for fenders; assuming rim brakes, maybe mounts for brazed on centerpulls which are more powerful than longer reach sidepulls; a nice secure mounting for a handlebar bag away from the bars a bit. ( I find cluttered bars a huge distraction that only increases with the length of a ride).
This is exactly right! A rando bike is really optimized for … randonneuring, i.e. going 400-1200km as fast as possible. If you’re going on a 100-200km Sunday ride on pavement with your friends, you’ll always prefer a true road bike. If you plan to go on a 2+ week tour, you’ll need a true touring/camping bike with tubing stout enough to carry 30+ lbs of gear.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates View Post
This is exactly right! A rando bike is really optimized for … randonneuring, i.e. going 400-1200km as fast as possible. If you’re going on a 100-200km Sunday ride on pavement with your friends, you’ll always prefer a true road bike. If you plan to go on a 2+ week tour, you’ll need a true touring/camping bike with tubing stout enough to carry 30+ lbs of gear.
Absolutely.

I possibly didn’t think my initial post out enough. I’m not necessarily looking for a 650b, definitely not looking for a touring rig.

I currently ride a few road bikes and a Mootour which fits 35c w/ out fenders… I guess I could throw on a bar bag and call it a day. Haha
Old 02-27-2024, 11:02 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmans View Post
Absolutely.

I possibly didn’t think my initial post out enough. I’m not necessarily looking for a 650b, definitely not looking for a touring rig.

I currently ride a few road bikes and a Mootour which fits 35c w/ out fenders… I guess I could throw on a bar bag and call it a day. Haha
sounds like maybe you're just looking for a comfy endurance bike then? One that keeps catching my eye is the new generation Litespeed Arenberg.. or a less racy gravel bike? And yes, a Mootour sounds awesome!
Old 02-28-2024, 06:21 AM

This is a little off topic as it involves a camping bike as opposed to a randonneuse…But…a few years back when I was looking for a bike to do some weekend trips, etc. I was lucky to find a Meral “campeur” that had been well used but had all of its parts. What I had in mind, anyway, was to have a bike with a more modern drivetrain-some more cogs, Ergopower levers- so it was a perfect candidate. It had a very elaborate and complete set of chrome moly tubing racks custom sized for the bike. In addition to what is shown, it has a set of front low riders. So it was repainted and all of the drivetrain parts were new. It retained its brazed on Mafac brakes, Stronglight headset that will never die, Atax seatpost, etc. I also have the original TA triple crank that can be refitted for more gears very quickly as I got a second axle for the modern BB for that job. I understand that the OP was interested in a randonneuse and not a campeur, but you could do something similar. It is not inexpensive, but the whole project that did expand significantly from the original concept and budget was still quite a bit less than the full custom route. (Dark photos due to early morning departure)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4D3EBE6F-5351-489D-B747-2C0F5C9F2E6E.jpeg (52.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpeg 3EDFBBE5-938F-46A3-A78A-982BBC5D3F31.jpeg (49.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpeg B28CE654-BDE6-4B18-B662-8F0BFB757FA7.jpeg (142.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 06:30 AM

Fab ^^^^
Old 02-28-2024, 09:04 AM

Racing or high-end "sport touring" frames from the 70s are really fantastic for the job. Here's my Reynolds 531 1976 Austro Daimler that I did PBP in 2019 and 2023 on. It's very comfy, fast, and "flexy" with clearance for 32s plus fenders. (I run 28s.) It weighs 24lbs with dynamo, leather saddle, and fenders. All the parts are modern except for the brakes. I use a Dill Pickle handlebar bag for brevets, no racks necessary.

The gearing was really the only thing I felt I had to change, since I wanted a 50/34 crankset and 9 speeds in the back. But spreading the frame turned out to be pretty easy. IMO it's the perfect brevet bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9887.jpg (147.4 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by samkl; 02-28-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates View Post
Well, I prefer my rando bike over my road bike for any distance. I mostly ride alone though and I’m not trying to set PRs, I’m never trying to go as fast as possible.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:56 PM

Here's an early 80's Austro Daimler that I'm building out as a "vintage" gravel bike for Cino 2024. Without any modifications whatsoever the frame takes 650B x 42 under fenders. As if it was built to randonneur specifications. Lovely light springy steel frame with exotic smoky chrome finish. A little pitted in places, especially the fork, but it exudes period charm. Building it up as 3 x 9 to modernize it a little.
Vent Noir II 650B.jpg
Old 02-28-2024, 06:27 PM

Yes, gimme that vintage 531 for any conversion. I love my 3 speed Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix with 700x38 and room to spare. Eats up anything, including light singletrack.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:01 PM

Apropos of the Reynolds 531 remark, here's what is left of the tubing sticker on the AD Vent Noir II. Do you think it is a Reynolds 531 sticker?

AD tubing sticker.jpg
Old 02-28-2024, 07:26 PM

Yes, it is 531.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:30 PM

Do you figure this sticker?

Reynolds 531 sticker 81-89.jpg
Old 02-28-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davison View Post
Do you figure this sticker?

Attachment 1698079667
No, that’s 531st, “super tourist,” built heavier for touring bikes. The Vent Noirs are regular 531.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:45 PM

I bought this Eisentraut Limited to build into something on which to ride the Montana duo in Sept. This thread got me thinking of going the 650b route. Here are pics of 700c x 35 Bon Jon Passes and 650b x 42 Babyshoe Pass. The Bon Jons clear the crown by only 3mm so not likely a viable solution for anything off pavement. 650b would require a braking solution, likely some appropriate Mafac, or maybe Paul Racers.

So, 700c or 650b? I'm leaning 650b as I doubt the Montana duo will be much fun on 32s. Also, what's Mafac centerpull options do I have (Raid, ??)?

Last edited by donevwil; 02-29-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I bought this Eisentraut Limited to build into something on which to ride the Montana duo in Sept. This thread got me thinking of going the 650b route. Here are pics of 700c x 35 Bon Jon Passes and 650b x 42 Babyshoe Pass. The Bon Jons clear the crown by only 3mm so not likely a viable solution for anything off pavement. 650b would require a braking solution, likely some appropriate Mafac, or maybe Paul Racers.

So, 700c or 650b? I'm leaning 650b as I doubt the Montana duo will be much fun on 32s. Also, what's Mafac centerpull options do I have (Raid, ??)?
Can you measure from the center of the brake bolt hole down to the middle of the brake track? That will tell you how long the brake arms need to be. There are good Dia-Compe options for centerpulls, too -- easier to find than Mafac Raids but the look more "vintage" than Paul Racers.