Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
That Sagan is overrated, sick to start the race, not in the front for the final, somehow wins. hes got some ok talent, hes almost a natural or something... but yeah, totally overrated
To play Flash's advocate here, it IS possible for someone to be, simultaneously, both overrated and extraordinarily good.

That's not the takeaway I normally have from Flash's comments, nor is it my thinking on Sagan...but perhaps an argument that Sagan is overrated could be defended...saying he's won nothing impressive is not a defensible position any more...and hasn't been for a while.

However, ceasing to play Flash's advocate here, I'm thoroughly blown away with Sagan's performances, and I would argue that he might be underrated. We might not be impressed enough with some of the stuff he pulls off. #HotTakes
Old 09-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
Is it possible that the weight savings from Sagan's haircut made the difference?
doubtful

but aero savings from shaving the beard? likely
Old 09-24-2017, 01:00 PM

My assessment of Sagan is slightly off. He's not a poor man's Eddy Merckx, he's a rich man's Oscar Friere. Weird that gets the fandom it does, but whatever.

High fives for learning over the last few months to hold his line in a sprint, and it only took him the better part of a decade to realize that sitting in might be a good idea to win sprints at the end of long races. At this rate he might be a real contender for Roubaix by 2022.

I can't wait to see him ride Lombardia in the world champ kit. Oh wait, he doesn't ride all the Monuments. Oscar Camezind's double is safe for now.

Broken clock is right once a year it seems.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
My assessment of Sagan is slightly off. He's not a poor man's Eddy Merckx, he's a rich man's Oscar Friere. Weird that gets the fandom it does, but whatever.

High fives for learning over the last few months to hold his line in a sprint, and it only took him the better part of a decade to realize that sitting in might be a good idea to win sprints at the end of long races. At this rate he might be a real contender for Roubaix by 2022.

I can't wait to see him ride Lombardia in the world champ kit. Oh wait, he doesn't ride all the Monuments. Oscar Camezind's double is safe for now.

not only are you uncouth, you are also ignorant

pretty sure Paolo Bettini won Lombardia wearing rainbow stripes
Old 09-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That Sagan is overrated, sick to start the race, not in the front for the final, somehow wins. hes got some ok talent, hes almost a natural or something... but yeah, totally overrated
Was sick and no jacket from his swammy on a cool day? Must be end of year. "I still have Friends in the group"...classy words about Scarponi and dedicated to wife who is expecting their first bambino(a)...I guess he's growing up.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Member?

Yup...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bettini lombardia.jpg (92.5 KB, 243 views)
Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Was sick and no jacket from his swammy on a cool day? Must be end of year. "I still have Friends in the group"...classy words about Scarponi and dedicated to wife who is expecting their first bambino(a)...I guess he's growing up.
i think he is growing up, but he will always be a bit of the absurdist. thats why i like him so much. as serious as everyone takes all this, those who comment about him and his riding, he seems to see it for what it is, just some bike racing. I love watching this guy ride!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
i think he is growing up, but he will always be a bit of the absurdist. thats why i like him so much. as serious as everyone takes all this, those who comment about him and his riding, he seems to see it for what it is, just some bike racing. I love watching this guy ride!
Ditto!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM

btw, last 4km from the helicopter. I guess their radio signal malfunctioned?

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/...489539&yr=2017
Old 09-24-2017, 02:06 PM
ZhugeLiang

Moscon disqualified.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Moscon disqualified.
As he should be
Old 09-24-2017, 02:43 PM
ZhugeLiang

That Colombian rider must have felt really bad as he watched helplessly with Moscon being towed away by his team car.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
pretty sure Paolo Bettini won Lombardia wearing rainbow stripes
Yep, 2006.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

Here is a well balanced, IMO, article on Sagan prior to his 3rd Rainbow stripes jersey.

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/peter-sagan-great/

Tim
Old 09-24-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
Lastly, what a beautiful host city for the worlds! Gotta take advantage of one of the $399 RT Norwegian Air fares out of Oakland and see Bergen and other parts of Norway!
Earlier this year, I got the chance to bike around in the fjords north of Bergen for 3 days, 10/10 would recommend. The only thing is that there are something like 50 days of sunlight per year in Bergen, so you need to schedule your vacation carefully. But when it's sunny, it's a crazy beautiful place.